Topic Wiki

« Last edited by aygart on August 29, 2016, 06:02:37 PM »

Author Topic: Going/Gone through 11 Months at the Amud? (All others proceed with caution...)  (Read 15757 times)

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Did you hear of the klal that you let it go in from one ear and right out through the other? Well all the comments I got during my 11 months at the amud did not even enter the first ear...

I found that simply ignoring helped a lot.  :)

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Meanwhile it has been okay for me, but I am only 2 months into it. Only thing is I need to take some minor voice lessons, but I needed that either way. I found minyanim which go about the pace I would go anyhow and just stick with them. The annoyance is the pressure, but I am managing with that. I am gaining that it is getting me to shachris really on time to make kaddish before psukei dzimra instead of rushing for borchu.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
I also felt that I needed some voice lessons, but I procrastinated/neglected and survived. I actually just asked my questions recently.
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=64826.0

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
I also felt that I needed some voice lessons, but I procrastinated/neglected and survived. I actually just asked my questions recently.
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=64826.0
I was lucky in that my father left me a loud voice as a ירושה, when I was serving my time I was quite famous for being able to get the entire 770 to stand up for קדושה or ברכו IF I WANTED TO. Also, based on personal experience, in 770 I was able to get a minyan for Maariv as late as 2:45am (didn't test later) with no more than 10 minutes work.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
I'm going to proceed with caution here. When I was in yeshiva with only ten guys, I was forced to daven three times a week, but since only a few people actually gave in and davened at the amud, I was stuck davening probably 1/5 times. Obviously that has nothing on an uvel, but davening for the umud when you are forced to is annoying but most of the time I found ot nice that I could control the speed somewhat (an no one could complain, because they had a choice to daven and they rejected it).
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
I was lucky in that my father left me a loud voice as a ירושה, when I was serving my time I was quite famous for being able to get the entire 770 to stand up for קדושה or ברכו IF I WANTED TO. Also, based on personal experience, in 770 I was able to get a minyan for Maariv as late as 2:45am (didn't test later) with no more than 10 minutes work.

2:45am depends on the time of year, at least IME.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
I'm going to proceed with caution here. When I was in yeshiva with only ten guys, I was forced to daven three times a week, but since only a few people actually gave in and davened at the amud, I was stuck davening probably 1/5 times. Obviously that has nothing on an uvel, but davening for the umud when you are forced to is annoying but most of the time I found ot nice that I could control the speed somewhat (an no one could complain, because they had a choice to daven and they rejected it).
That's the key. You were doing them a favor by davening. When you're an avel, every person who shows up thinks that it's his minyan and he's doing you a favor by letting you daven, so you better be exactly to his liking.

(I'm not speaking from experience, blay'h, but that's what it looks like to me and how chiyuvim have expressed their frustrations. Obviously most people aren't like that, but too many minyanim have one (or a bunch) too many.)
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Here were my issues (in no particular order):

-Someone telling me I'm davening too slow and the next day someone tells me it's too fast. 

-Keeping track of different nusach during chazaras hashatz.

-The guy who HAS TO have the amud regardless of Halacha or the shuls minhag (I can't imagine any schar for fighting over the amud even if I am correct. Sadly, too many think this is a way to honor their parent).

-The shuls who have different minhagim depending on which minyan you daven at. (Yes/no Kaddish between alenu and SSY in Ashkenaz Shul for example).

-Various minhagim related to Ledovid (before/after alenu with/without Kaddish before) also differ in the same shul between different minyanim. (Sfira and alenu is another one)

That's off the top of my head.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline Yitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
I felt that the davening for the Amud was part of the aveilus.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
2:45am depends on the time of year, at least IME.
I've found no place as good as 770 for getting a minyan at odd times. Though it does have some challenging times like ליל פורים if you're not there בזמנה. Otherwise it's probably the most flexible place for times (but no variations on Nusach).

I wouldn't daven on a plane, so when I went to Eretz Yisroel I made sure to have a long layover in London so I can daven 3 tefillos properly and then continue. Unfortunately, upon landing at LHR plane got delayed on runway. When I got to the shul where I was told I could find a minyan, I first had to take a shower and go to the Mikvah, as I was in no state do daven without taking a shower. By the time I got out we barely scratched together a minyan for ברכו and הויכע קדושה. After I was done someone said that he had a ספק if one of the ten people might have not been a Yid...
-- Dan

Online zh cohen

• View Profile
I felt that the davening for the Amud was part of the aveilus.

I heard from an ovel recently that he was sentenced to 1 week house arrest and 11 months of community service...

Offline Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
I heard from an ovel recently that he was sentenced to 1 week house arrest and 11 months of community service...

Well said..

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
Did he confess to anything, or did he remain unrepentant?  ;)
-- Dan

Online aygart

• View Profile
Oh c'mon, It is not THAT bad.

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
At least when I was saying kaddish I felt like I was doing something for my Mom. When I woke up the day after it was like...Now What?....
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline Yitz

• View Profile
At least when I was saying kaddish I felt like I was doing something for my Mom. When I woke up the day after it was like...Now What?....
That is the reason we say kaddish for 11 month, if we did it for less we would forget them sooner. Doing good deeds in the honor of you parents is a good thing even after 11 month.

Online aygart

• View Profile
That is the reason we say kaddish for 11 month, if we did it for less we would forget them sooner. Doing good deeds in the honor of you parents is a good thing even after 11 month.
See 22 in Wiki

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
Oh c'mon, It is not THAT bad.
@ayagart, if indeed you still have nine months for the amud, you've ain't seen anything yet. I seriously wish you good luck. I went through this not long ago and times came when I felt I just couldn't take it anymore.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
I know quite a few people who were lax about davening with a minyan, who got to appreciate it while serving time at the Omud and kept on going.

I personally started answering אמן etc. louder, as I got an appreciation of what it means to be at the Omud and feel like you're davening in a בית החיים where you can hear no feedback.
-- Dan

Offline Zalc

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

I've found no place as good as 770 for getting a minyan at odd times. Though it does have some challenging times like ליל פורים if you're not there בזמנה.
Or 10 minutes after any fasts end...