Author Topic: Store Won't Take Returns From Lakewood, Brooklyn, Monsey, Monroe or Passaic  (Read 72920 times)

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Store Won't Take Returns From Lakewood, Brooklyn, Monsey, Monroe or Passaic
« Reply #380 on: February 16, 2017, 04:35:39 PM »
some posters here sound pretty mean and unfair. some moser (i hate using that term) went to the DA because they had nothing better to do in their lives but attack a small business (im sure that same guy believes that he shouldnt have to sell a cake for a homosexual marriage, but does not concern himself with his internal contradictions).
they gave their info to the NJ DA, wasting days of their lives sorting into nice excel files all the info showing the huge disparity in returns as the reason for the difference in treatment. they never wanted to make a chillul hashem, the jerks who posted and made it big and went to the DA etc were the ones who caused a chillul hashem. and the DA had no logical argument just a claim of disparate treatment without any insight that a court would hopefully strike down due to the clear basis for the different treatment. but the da has resources and they didnt want to pay more for lawyers, so now everyone suffers because now there are no cash returns anywhere.
Similar to an insurance company charging more to insure your car in Inner City neighborhoods.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 16, 2017, 05:13:10 PM »
Similar to an insurance company charging more to insure your car in Inner City neighborhoods.

If an insurance company charged $100/month to the entire US besides a few neighborhoods, then that would be comparable example.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Boruch999

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 16, 2017, 05:18:01 PM »
If an insurance company charged $100/month to the entire US besides a few neighborhoods, then that would be comparable example.

I don't understand your issue with the comparison. Can you elaborate?

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 16, 2017, 05:23:06 PM »
I don't understand your issue with the comparison. Can you elaborate?

One is redlining and one is not
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redlining
Visibly Jewish

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 16, 2017, 05:30:44 PM »
One is redlining and one is not
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redlining

This was not redlining if we are to believe the claims of the business owner.  The policy was not because of the racial or ethnic composition of those areas but because of the high risk of return abuse from those areas.  Let's for arguments sake assume that most residents of large inner cities in the US are black and Hispanic. This is certainly true in some cities.  Insurance premiums are higher there not because of the ethnicity of the residents but because of the higher rate of claims from those areas.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 16, 2017, 05:46:19 PM »
This was not redlining if we are to believe the claims of the business owner.  The policy was not because of the racial or ethnic composition of those areas but because of the high risk of return abuse from those areas.  Let's for arguments sake assume that most residents of large inner cities in the US are black and Hispanic. This is certainly true in some cities.  Insurance premiums are higher there not because of the ethnicity of the residents but because of the higher rate of claims from those areas.

It doesn't matter what she claims, because at the end of the day the policy was targeting highly populous Jewish towns. Just like banks that would avoid giving loans in high risk black neighborhoods - because they would on average perform poorly - and that was illegal.

Insurance isn't one price fits all. Every person, neighborhood, car, age, drivers experience, etc., gets priced differently based on statistical risk factors that have nothing to do with race or religion.

The website was one-price-fits-all. Unless you lived in certain Jewish towns.

There are laws in this country, and compliance with the law is part of the cost of doing business.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 16, 2017, 05:52:26 PM »
It doesn't matter what she claims, because at the end of the day the policy was targeting highly populous Jewish towns. Just like banks that would avoid giving loans in high risk black neighborhoods - because they would on average perform poorly - and that was illegal.

Insurance isn't one price fits all. Every person, neighborhood, car, age, drivers experience, etc., gets priced differently based on statistical risk factors that have nothing to do with race or religion.

The website was one-price-fits-all. Unless you lived in certain Jewish towns.

There are laws in this country, and compliance with the law is part of the cost of doing business.

Who decides which products and services can be tailored in a way that limits risk to the provider and which ones have to be one-size-fits-all?

Can a website charge more for shipping out of state?

As pointed out above,  it's not clear that this was a violation of the law.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 16, 2017, 09:17:19 PM »
Who decides which products and services can be tailored in a way that limits risk to the provider and which ones have to be one-size-fits-all?

The government outlawed racial discrimination.
Insurance is highly regulated so still a bad example but in general a company can charge whatever they want as long as pricing is not highly correlated with race.

Can a website charge more for shipping out of state?

Foolish question of the day. Are you charging based on shipping costs?
Do you offer free shipping to the entire US besides a few black neighborhoods? Do you charge $10 shipping to a black neighborhood in NJ and $5 to other neighborhoods in NJ despite the shipping prices costing the same? I'm sure you can answer all these questions properly if you give it a little bit of thought.

As pointed out above,  it's not clear that this was a violation of the law.

It sounds like discrimination, and the AG (it is their job after all) thinks the same. At best, it is a gray area.
If the store disagrees then they can fight for it.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Cheesecake

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 16, 2017, 09:44:16 PM »

Foolish question of the day. Are you charging based on shipping costs?
Do you offer free shipping to the entire US besides a few black neighborhoods? Do you charge $10 shipping to a black neighborhood in NJ and $5 to other neighborhoods in NJ despite the shipping prices costing the same?

But what if shipping did cost more to black neighborhoods? That would be the better analogy (according to her numbers).

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 17, 2017, 03:01:01 AM »

But what if shipping did cost more to black neighborhoods? That would be the better analogy (according to her numbers).

That answer is: it never will.
Shipping pricing is set by zone which encompasses huge amounts of neighborhoods.
If shipping to black neighborhoods is indeed more expensive then the store would be off the hook but the shipping company does in fact deserve  to be investigated.
Visibly Jewish

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: February 17, 2017, 03:52:53 AM »

Shipping pricing is set by zone which encompasses huge amounts of neighborhoods.
If shipping to black neighborhoods is indeed more expensive then the store would be off the hook but the shipping company does in fact deserve  to be investigated.
For example.  Google express delivers only to decent areas locally where I am. 

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 17, 2017, 05:23:38 AM »

suppose gangs in some neighborhoods extorted protection money from the delivery company.  Bottom line is, if costs in a certain area are higher, the service provider is justified in charging a higher price.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 17, 2017, 05:53:41 AM »
For example.  Google express delivers only to decent areas locally where I am.

Also the pizza store in Beijing doesn't deliver to Lakewood
Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 17, 2017, 06:09:52 AM »
suppose gangs in some neighborhoods extorted protection money from the delivery company.  Bottom line is, if costs in a certain area are higher, the service provider is justified in charging a higher price.

It is illegal to racially discriminate by redlining a geographical area.
If you find a company that's doing that, then go ahead and report it. I'm not going  to argue whether or not a hypothetical delivery company can hypothetically racially discriminate if they want to.

Should a company be able to claim that I cost them more money in returns because I live in a certain neighborhood, despite the fact that I rarely ever return anything I purchase? See, we're dealing with individuals returning products, not neighborhoods. By discriminating against the entire neighborhood, you're saying that all these individuals are costing you more money. Which is not true. Some people cost more money and some cost less money. As a whole they might combine to a higher cost but that doesn't give the company a right to discriminate against individuals in that area. That's what the redlining law is about. Just like how poor blacks were less likely to be good borrowers, but even middle class blacks were getting discriminated against because a banks redlining policy decided that they are risky due to their neighborhood.
Visibly Jewish

Offline JTZ

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 17, 2017, 07:43:03 AM »
The government outlawed racial discrimination.
Insurance is highly regulated so still a bad example but in general a company can charge whatever they want as long as pricing is not highly correlated with race.
So if the zipcode contained five different races in equal proportion that would be OK?
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 17, 2017, 09:20:45 AM »
So if the zipcode contained five different races in equal proportion that would be OK?

I would think so
Visibly Jewish

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 17, 2017, 09:33:39 AM »
I would think so
So when the majority of the zipcode is made up by one race that makes it illegal? It is automatic?
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 17, 2017, 10:04:14 AM »
So when the majority of the zipcode is made up by one race that makes it illegal? It is automatic?

Nothing is automatic. First of all, if a company is overtly racist it doesn't matter what the demographic is, they're gonna get hit hard. The laws against redlining weren't designed to stop this. Redlining laws were meant to stop covert, systematical racism. Where companies create a system to serve as a proxy for their racism. I doubt that a company would systematically treat 1 diverse zip code worse than any other zip codes due to racism, when you have zip codes that include a majority of the race they supposedly are discriminating against (and they treat them fairly). At the end of the day if a company isn't doing anything suspicious it wouldn't be investigated.
Visibly Jewish

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 17, 2017, 10:28:25 AM »
Do you believe this person did this based on race? If these zipcodes are where she claims her biggest losses came from had majority Asian people she would not have done the same thing?

What I am getting at is this. I have an internet business and notice most of my returns are coming from certain zipcodes.  I put restrictions on those zipcodes. That is illegal based on race when I am not even aware of the makeup of the zipcodes.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #399 on: February 17, 2017, 10:35:46 AM »
Do you believe this person did this based on race? If these zipcodes are where she claims her biggest losses came from had majority Asian people she would not have done the same thing?

What I am getting at is this. I have an internet business and notice most of my returns are coming from certain zipcodes.  I put restrictions on those zipcodes. That is illegal based on race when I am not even aware of the makeup of the zipcodes.
I do think it fed into her pre-existing stereotype as it did for many right here on this forum.
Feelings don't care about your facts