Topic Wiki

Bogo walks in a room and announces that we're almost at the end, so double your money now* before it's too late! He claims there are people vouching for him, but they have never heard of him.
ExGingi talked to Bogo for a minute and let's everyone know that he knows what he's doing. Except maybe that was for another Bogo thing he's doing that may or may not MLM related. Or something like that.
Baruch won't stop calling Bogo a liar and ExGingi a fool and a liar. He's gone over to everyone and tells them this at least dozen times.
Freddie is in the back of the room just cooking his cholent. It's parve, exactly how ExGingi likes it. JJ didn't tell Freddie he was in the room as he doesn't like parve cholent or MLMs. This makes him a shvantz.
Dan is waiting for a juicy voicemail or at least an email to put in this thread. Dan loves Lakewood and was very impressed with it. Dan hates Lakewood and bashes at every opportunity {{Citation needed}}

JJ finally did teshuva. It remains to be seen if others mentioned on this thread will follow his lead.

*as long as you're from Lakewood.
« Last edited by Freddie on October 20, 2016, 06:53:59 PM »

Author Topic: BOGO Tuition Scam  (Read 158228 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: BOGO Tuition Scam
« Reply #260 on: September 05, 2016, 10:44:52 AM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Toasted

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 05, 2016, 10:45:24 AM »
That's not all he did.
There nothing innovative etc. about trying to swindle desperate people out of their money without providing any security. Anyone who defends that is at the minimum a fool.

Offline yakov116

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 05, 2016, 10:46:39 AM »
There nothing innovative etc. about trying to swindle desperate people out of their money without providing any security. Anyone who defends that is at the minimum a fool.
and..........................
Money talks...mine says goodbye!

Offline Cheesecake

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 05, 2016, 10:48:11 AM »
He never actually advised anyone to do it, and if he was being naive, which I agree to, that's not an excuse to insult him.

It's Elul, and if "growing up" means being callous about bein adam l'chaveiro, count me out.

Offline Toasted

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 05, 2016, 10:49:41 AM »
My neighbor was about to pay to in yesterday and called me. I said its a scam. The guy tells me how do you know for sure that its a scam? In this crazy town, people will throw money at you until you're a proven criminal!

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

Offline Cheesecake

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 05, 2016, 10:51:10 AM »
My neighbor was about to pay to in yesterday and called me. I said its a scam. The guy tells me how do you know for sure that its a scam? In this crazy town, people will throw money at you until you're a proven criminal!

"A fool and his money are soon parted"
I hope you talked him out of it.

Offline Toasted

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 05, 2016, 10:55:24 AM »
I hope you talked him out of it.
I said he should give me the money and ill triple it. Im also a very well meaning guy you know and my offer is open to anyone. Not only lakewood and not capped at a million. Doesnt even need to be tuition. Can anyone defend me please? Its elul.

Offline Cheesecake

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 05, 2016, 10:57:31 AM »
I said he should give me the money and ill triple it. Im also a very well meaning guy you know and my offer is open to anyone. Not only lakewood and not capped at a million. Doesnt even need to be tuition. Can anyone defend me please? Its elul.
There's a difference between defending someone's opinion and defending him from insults.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 05, 2016, 10:58:10 AM »
You need to have a "CPA" hold on to funds to "protect" the principal first.

I'll be the CPA.... il send you wire instructions. Let's make it rain!

Offline Toasted

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 05, 2016, 10:59:21 AM »
There's a difference between defending someone's opinion and defending him from insults.
If you have foolish opinions, you're probably a fool.

Offline Cheesecake

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: September 05, 2016, 11:01:21 AM »
If you have foolish opinions, you're probably a fool.
That doesn't make it okay to embarrass and insult someone.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #271 on: September 05, 2016, 11:02:30 AM »
Is the original loyalty program much different than Chessed Dollars and similar programs?
The basic concept is not but there are some key differences which ruin it. ZB with his attchment to MLMs needed to add an MLM aspect to this program. The tell for that is how he wrote this is not an MLM because... The MLM aspect of it is totally unnecessary to the primary concept and serves no purpose other than to make it confusing. Once there is confusion that is a big warning sign and also broadcasts loud and clear that if he learned any lesson from Ambit it is the wrong lesson. This is a person with extremely poor business sense and everyone should keep their money away from him.

The other key difference is that in this case money is being "kept" in separate individual accounts and would need to be tracked. Who will do that and be responsible for it? Chesed Dollars were a simply concept that the schools bought them from the organizer at a discount and sold them at full face value. Here there is too much tracking going on.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Cheesecake

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 05, 2016, 11:05:41 AM »
The basic concept is not but there are some key differences which ruin it. ZB with his attchment to MLMs needed to add an MLM aspect to this program. The tell for that is how he wrote this is not an MLM because... The MLM aspect of it is totally unnecessary to the primary concept and serves no purpose other than to make it confusing. Once there is confusion that is a big warning sign and also broadcasts loud and clear that if he learned any lesson from Ambit it is the wrong lesson. This is a person with extremely poor business sense and everyone should keep their money away from him.

The other key difference is that in this case money is being "kept" in separate individual accounts and would need to be tracked. Who will do that and be responsible for it? Chesed Dollars were a simply concept that the schools bought them from the organizer at a discount and sold them at full face value. Here there is too much tracking going on.
I wasn't talking about the matching part; I thought there was a discount program which preceded it.

And, FTR, once someone was involved in one scam, even if well meaning, I agree that it's best to stay away from future business endeavors with him.

Offline Baruch

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 05, 2016, 11:06:01 AM »
That doesn't make it okay to embarrass and insult someone.
He was advocating for a dangerous scam. I embarrassed him and insulted him to shut him up. Everyone arguing the details with him, was giving him credibility, so I tried the shouting insults method (I learned it from Trump :) )

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 05, 2016, 11:07:55 AM »
Can everyone grow up?
Okay. Now that e/o agrees not to invest in this.

I apologize to exgingi.

I honestly don't think he is a fool. (Which shows how dangerous scams are, they can suck in intelligent people).

Offline Cheesecake

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 05, 2016, 11:08:08 AM »
He was advocating for a dangerous scam. I embarrassed him and insulted him to shut him up. Everyone arguing the details with him, was giving him credibility, so I tried the shouting insults method (I learned it from Trump :) )
The timeline doesn't seem to match...

Also, I didn't read his posts as advocacy as much as leaving the possibility open that it might be legitimate (which I agree never seemed likely).

Edit: nice job. Thank you.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 05, 2016, 11:08:51 AM »
Except that IIRC he NEVER defended the matching part only the loyalty program. Are you incapable of discriminating between the two? You may do well reading this thread after Freddie's comment.

Yes, discrimination is not inherently a bad thing. It's the first brocha you make each morning. You ask to have at least as much discrimination as a chicken. Look in your siddur (hanosein lasechvi l'HOVCHIN). What's wrong with havchona?

Except that he wasn't. He very clearly said that he was referring only to the loyalty aspect and knew nothing about the matching thing.

It would make sense for you to learn those things from Trump.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 05, 2016, 11:10:51 AM »
I wasn't talking about the matching part; I thought there was a discount program which preceded it.

And, FTR, once someone was involved in one scam, even if well meaning, I agree that it's best to stay away from future business endeavors with him.

Neither am I. The loyalty program itself has these issues. +1 on staying away from him. Never believe some that he learned his lesson. We see here that even if he learned a lesson it was the wrong one.

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 05, 2016, 11:11:41 AM »
Except that IIRC he NEVER defended the matching part only the loyalty program. Are you incapable of discriminating between the two? You may do well reading this thread after Freddie's comment.
Except that he wasn't. He very clearly said that he was referring only to the loyalty aspect and knew nothing about the matching thing.

It would make sense for you to learn those things from Trump.
If you got nothing better to do with your time, read thru this thread slowly. You'll see that your wrong, he was responding to the tuition scam.

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=65888.msg1549793#msg1549793

I have no idea who Schiener is, but I did have a lengthy conversation with Zvi about this. It is a real concept, innovative, and while it is essentially a business concept, he's thinking outside the box and can potentially help lots of people pay their tuition bills (and help Moisdos struggling to cover their budget deficits).

Think about UR or MR style points that can be used to pay tuition, you can earn a lot of them but they expire fast if you don't use them.

Offline Cheesecake

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 05, 2016, 11:13:24 AM »
If you got nothing better to do with your time, read thru this thread slowly. You'll see that your wrong, he was responding to the tuition scam.
Can you show me where he actually recommended it, rather than just saying to keep an open mind?