Topic Wiki

Bogo walks in a room and announces that we're almost at the end, so double your money now* before it's too late! He claims there are people vouching for him, but they have never heard of him.
ExGingi talked to Bogo for a minute and let's everyone know that he knows what he's doing. Except maybe that was for another Bogo thing he's doing that may or may not MLM related. Or something like that.
Baruch won't stop calling Bogo a liar and ExGingi a fool and a liar. He's gone over to everyone and tells them this at least dozen times.
Freddie is in the back of the room just cooking his cholent. It's parve, exactly how ExGingi likes it. JJ didn't tell Freddie he was in the room as he doesn't like parve cholent or MLMs. This makes him a shvantz.
Dan is waiting for a juicy voicemail or at least an email to put in this thread. Dan loves Lakewood and was very impressed with it. Dan hates Lakewood and bashes at every opportunity {{Citation needed}}

JJ finally did teshuva. It remains to be seen if others mentioned on this thread will follow his lead.

*as long as you're from Lakewood.
« Last edited by Freddie on October 20, 2016, 06:53:59 PM »

Author Topic: BOGO Tuition Scam  (Read 158139 times)

Offline shulem92

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: BOGO Tuition Scam
« Reply #400 on: September 07, 2016, 03:50:16 PM »
I don't know if you have to be דן לכף זכות, but I am quite positive that everyone here would like to have that applied to themselves (especially on ר״ה and יו״כ) and after all don't we say מאי דסני עלך לא תעביד לחברך?
First let's see if the guy is returning the money...if he does then u can start being Dan lekaf zchus

Offline rs242

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 07, 2016, 05:11:49 PM »
Does anyone know who the winner of the free tuition for a year is?

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 07, 2016, 05:13:44 PM »
Does anyone know who the winner of the free tuition for a year is?
BOGO
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline rs242

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 07, 2016, 05:14:24 PM »

Offline mendy from lakewood

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, National EE, Hertz Presidential.
"Respect is earned, Honesty is appreciated, Trust is gained, Loyalty is returned"

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 08, 2016, 11:23:05 AM »
Wonder if anyone lost money in both BOGO and Sungame.

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, National EE, Hertz Presidential.
« Reply #407 on: September 08, 2016, 11:45:34 AM »
Wonder if anyone lost money in both BOGO and Sungame.
i would assume that anyone that lost in Sungames would sue some due diligence before investing in crap
"Respect is earned, Honesty is appreciated, Trust is gained, Loyalty is returned"

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 08, 2016, 11:47:55 AM »
i would assume that anyone that lost in Sungames would sue some due diligence before investing in crap

Ah, you would THINK that, but in reality, there are those who refuse to be denied a good opportunity to be scammed again.

I say it glibly but it's really not funny. There are people who are addicted to the lure of fast money. They keep the scammers in business.

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 08, 2016, 11:49:31 AM »
Ah, you would THINK that, but in reality, there are those who refuse to be denied a good opportunity to be scammed again.

I say it glibly but it's really not funny. There are people who are addicted to the lure of fast money. They keep the scammers in business.
I would agree with you but I don't think such obvious scams will work on the same person twice

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 08, 2016, 11:52:36 AM »
I would agree with you but I don't think such obvious scams will work on the same person twice

Hmmm, have you ever spoken to the wives of these guys (or husbands of these ladies) who are crying because s/he went and "did it again"? I know it's hard to wrap your head around but yes just as there are serial scammers, there are serial scammees.

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 08, 2016, 12:12:10 PM »
And that is precisely why when you hear the words - "yes he was previously involved in an MLM but that was a mistake and now he knows better and this is legit" you must RUN RUN RUN away.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #412 on: September 08, 2016, 12:12:48 PM »
http://www.thelakewoodscoop.com/news/2016/09/update-bogo-tuition-campaign-broke-terms-of-service-host-says-donations-cancelled.html
This is a good development, I am actually surprised that Youcaring.com allowed it in the first place, as the way it was worded seemed totally incongruent with the types of campaigns that site is made for.

I will clearly state here: I was wrong by initially implying that there was some merit, as I didn't initially carefully read the ad or wording on the website. As soon as I realized what was being attempted here I clearly differentiated between the "tuition match" campaign and the "loyalty program" and encouraged prudent approach.

My personal opinion is that with this fiasco he killed his loyalty program, which seems like a legitimate business which might or might have not worked, before even getting to try it. If it is to have any chance he will have to take some radical steps (such as renaming it, and removing himself from the business, and only collecting royalties if indeed it ever works out. My guess is that he wouldn't take those steps).

My personal lesson learned here is to take an extra step of caution when making public statements that could be construed in any way as an endorsement.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 08, 2016, 12:30:10 PM »
My personal opinion is that with this fiasco he killed his loyalty program, which seems like a legitimate business which might or might have not worked, before even getting to try it. If it is to have any chance he will have to take some radical steps (such as renaming it, and removing himself from the business, and only collecting royalties if indeed it ever works out. My guess is that he wouldn't take those steps).
I don't understand something. Once it's pretty clear to you that this guy was and is involved in some shady things, shouldn't it not matter that on a separate proposal he had a nice idea? Shouldn't you say, I better stay away from this guy - the idea sounds good but I'm not going anywhere near it with this guy involved?

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 08, 2016, 12:49:00 PM »
I don't understand something. Once it's pretty clear to you that this guy was and is involved in some shady things, shouldn't it not matter that on a separate proposal he had a nice idea? Shouldn't you say, I better stay away from this guy - the idea sounds good but I'm not going anywhere near it with this guy involved?
Thieves can do honest things but don't count on it. Run as fast and as far away as you can.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #415 on: September 08, 2016, 03:10:39 PM »

Which is precisely why I said:

If it is to have any chance he will have to take radical steps (such as renaming it, and removing himself from the business, and only collecting royalties if indeed it ever works out. My guess is that he wouldn't take those steps).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 05:43:14 PM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline rs242

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 08, 2016, 03:13:11 PM »
Wonder if anyone paid in cash.
Someone said upthread that they went to the store front and ppl lined up handing cash

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 08, 2016, 03:14:46 PM »
We need to add a like button to the Wiki too :D
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 08, 2016, 03:18:08 PM »
We need to add a like button to the Wiki too :D
If you keep it up you are going to break the Like button.

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 08, 2016, 04:06:04 PM »
If this thread (or many other DDF threads) were reenacted in real life this is how it would sound: