Topic Wiki

List of Many Flip Phones. (No smartphones)
A lot of the descriptions is my opinion.
Feel free to let me know if you differ, or if there is info missing/wrong.
Please like if this helps you.
Service plans for Flip phones-Click here.

Alcatel/TCL Go Flip (6)
Alcatel TCL Flip 2, From Tracfone or Amazon
TCL Classic 4058C, Sold on TCL
TCL Classic, From Cricket
TCL Flip Go, From UScellular
TCL Flip Go, From T-Mobile

Probably the successor to the LG Classic. $20 for the Tracfone version. Runs very well.
TAG can Kasher, Also @kosher_cellutions kashers, and there are people working on a free filter as well.

Update (9/22/22): A free talk/text filter is available. Filter with Waze (and maybe more) coming soon!

Not to be confused with the tcl 4056 phones which look the same but run KaiOs and are much buggier.

LG Exalt LTE VN220 – Verizon
•   Can be  koshered: Yes

Compatible Networks;
•   Verizon (4g)
•   ATT (3g),
•   T-Mobile (2g, bad reception)

One of the most popular flip phones. Well-known Brand. No button lag. Overall decent phone.
 No outside screen, awkward shape, delicate, suffers from durability issues
Not sold anymore. Street price is over $400.

LG Classic Flip L125 – Tracfone (DDF Topic)
Decent phone from a well-known manufacturer
Successor to the LG Exalt, this phone added an outside screen (!!!) and an SOS button. Camera was downgraded to 2mp from 5, and lost autofocus (think Kyocera Cadence res).  Screen and body were shrunk a little to make it a little less unwieldly to hold . . The street price of $30 is has jumped and it now hovering at about $150.

Compatible Networks;
•   Tracfone (and all Tracfone sub-carriers, like: Net10, Total Wireless, Wing and possibly more)

Koshering services;
•   http://kosherlgclassic.com/ (Talk Only $24.99 or Custom $29.99, strong)
•   http://filterlg.com/ (free, strong, but has limitation READ INSTRUCTIONS)
•   https://www.apps4flip.com/lgclassicflip/ (Remove apps with ADB, no reset protection)
•   Tag, Geder, and Meshumer locations can install a block as well

Probably the best quality phone from all the cheap (you can get it for like $30) phones, but the big limitation is that it's carrier locked to Tracfone carriers and cannot be used with normal Verizon plans or other Verizon MVNOs, Until it has active service for a year two months.

LG Wine LTE (U.S. Cellular)
Can be  koshered: Yes

Same as the LG Exalt LTE but works with ATT 4g. Not compatible with Verizon (small changes  like different messaging app and fm radio) Also not sold. Replaced by the LG Wine 2 LTE

LG Wine 2 LTE (U.S. Cellular)
Not applicable

Kyocera Cadence LTE S2720 & S2720PP

Compatible Networks;
•   Verizon (4g)
•   ATT (3g),
PP Version must be unlocked before using with Verizon Postpaid/Other Networks

Overall solid phone by somewhat reputable brand. Has an outer screen to show show who is calling, but lacks video camera & playback. Camera quality could be better. Durability is pretty good. Software update finally fixed some t9 input issues Overall solid kosherable option. Also not sold by Verizon anymore. Street price of about $250

Kyocera DuraXV LTE E-4610

Compatible Networks;
•   Verizon (4g)
•   ATT (3g),

Similar to Kyocera Cadence above but in a slightly bigger, rugged package. And added video playback capability. Great choice if you can find a good one.

Kyocera DuraXV Extreme E-4810
MSRP: $240

Compatible Networks;
•   Verizon (4g)
•   ATT (3g),
•   T-Mobile (4g)

Successor to the DuraXV above. More rugged, Thicker, Heavier. Now with USB-C!
Message+ Replaced with a slower clunkier messaging app.

Kazuna eTalk

Compatible Networks;
•   Verizon (4g)

A cheap prepaid phone made by a company that has a Chinese website. Can be purchased for under $40 but must be activated in the prepaid network to work. Has poor reviews but seems to be an okay phone/operating system. Sluggish response to key presses. Cheap build quality

Alcatel Go Flip V
MSRP: $99

Compatible Networks;
•   Verizon (4g)

Slow & buggy Verizon phone. Changes back to ABC instead of T9 every time you create a new message, and no way to add words to t9 dictionary. Button presses take a while to register. Poor Quality. Seems to be a bit better than the competition in the "Easy to buy straight from Verizon" category

Orbic Journey V
MSRP: $99

Compatible Networks;
•   Verizon (4g)

Another no-name brand with a slow buggy phone. Extremely poor quality. Avoid.

Schok Classic Flip
MSRP: $99 Available at Target

•   Can be  koshered: Yes (Tag-No, Meshimer-Yes)

Compatible Networks;
•   Verizon (4g)
•   ATT (4g),
•   T-Mobile (4g)

A large, highly compatible flip phone from a company that at least looks like its trying. Finally a viable T-Mobile option. Nice display, Impressive camera, and USB-C  docking/charging. Feels laggy and a bit buggy sometimes. A little bit more smatphone-ish than others as it has a, sometimes convoluted , Google Play store and a Virtual Mouse to input touches on apps. Software updates keep improving the phone so there is hope…

NUU Phone
Compatible Networks;
Verizon (4g)
ATT (4g)
T-Mobile (4g)
Cheap price, cheap quality. Buttons seem to wear out pretty quickly.

Alcatel Go Flip ATT  T-MOBILE
Sorry  don’t have exact models all the iterations of these.
Old version- Horrible. Contacts and calling app broken
New Version Go Flip 3- Big improvement
Has Google maps and assistant, will be removed when koshered though.
There is a cricket version that was advertised on Dansdeals.com already koshered on ebay for $60 seems to be okay.
Many many different iterations of these. Some can be filtered. Some cannot. Most are bad phones.

Coolpad Snap
4g Sprint Flip Phone. Bad Phone. Can’t be koshered

ZTE Cymbal
Different versions for Verizon prepaid and T-Mobile. Phone is Okay, Can’t be koshered, But available to buy already kosher in Lakewood.

Sonim xp3800
Compatible Networks;
Verizon (4g)
ATT (4g)
Unlocked versions available

Great phone, similar to the Kyocera DuraXV series
Can be kashered by TAG

Sunbeam
Compatible Networks;
•   Verizon (4g)
•   ATT (4g),
•   T-Mobile (4g)

Can be purchased kashered by TAG
Has a very good voice-to-text option @ $5 a month

Ans F30 Kosher
Offered by meshimer
Compatible Networks;
•   Verizon (4g)

Fig Kosher flip
Sold koshered

Nokia 6300 4G GSM
Sold koshered

Compatible Networks;
•   ATT (4g)
•   T-Mobile (4g)

Other niche options you may want to look into, and up and coming:

Keyphone  https://keyphone.tech
Mindphone  https://greentouchstore.com/pages/mind
Light phone ii $350 E-ink phone   https://www.thelightphone.com]T-Mobile
Punkt MP02    https://www.punkt.ch/en/products/mp02-4g-mobile-phone/

In Short (for most people)

Verizon- Find the Kyocera Cadence or Kyocera DuraXV E-4610
ATT- Schok /Alcatel Go Flip 3/Kyocera Cadence
T-Mobile- Schok /Alcatel Go Flip 3/
Sprint- Get a new service. You’re getting cheap service without a device to use it on

Site that allow you to search based on features and network -
https://dumbphones.pory.app/

Why is there so many garbage phones?
Why are the big brands reluctant to make decent phones?
Why did LG and Kyocera stop making such popular devices? 
Did Verizon ask for cheaper phones to make them more accessible? To make an even bigger profit?
And why can’t we get some normal phones like the old 3g devices? LG Revere, Samsung Gusto, etc. Durable, solid, reliable, NO BUGS! Maybe even… dare I ask for… a qwerty keyboard!
Why do people use sprint if there’s no phones?
What will happen to all the active old sprint 3g devices after T-Mobile/Sprint merger?

Full Disclosure: I currently use an LG OCTANE 3g Verizon Keyboard Phone and I love it. That’s gonna have to change by the end of 2020… but if you put things into perspective, that’s AFTER the November elections. Who knows if Trump will even be president?

I would love if someone knows the answers to some of these questions.

UPDATE: I switched to the Kyocera Cadence and overall, its pretty good.
I also have answers to my questions. To be very brief:
Real operating systems cost $$$$ and no one is willing to put in that much for a basic phone. They all use android (free) Or KaiOS (free and terrible) which dont come readily set up for a flip and have to be "stuffed in". Fulll android+cheapest hardware= Mess
Its hard for small companies to make their own phone due to the massive costs of certification approval and similar.

Author Topic: REVIVE THE FLIP PHONE  (Read 470739 times)

Offline Mikes@Micro

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: REVIVE THE FLIP PHONE
« Reply #700 on: June 09, 2020, 01:35:36 PM »
No mention of the LG Exalt vn220 bugs? This alone should put it in shadow of the Kyocera phones.

Any preference for the new Kyocera DuraXV Extreme over the old?
Some of the  bugs can be fixed/ have workarounds.
Its the most functional of all the above
Quote or engagement  equals full throated endorsement and vote!
H/t PinchosL

Offline Jojo202

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: June 09, 2020, 01:43:55 PM »
No mention of the LG Exalt vn220 bugs? This alone should put it in shadow of the Kyocera phones.

Any preference for the new Kyocera DuraXV Extreme over the old?
Just curious what bugs in specific you are talking about? No go to home screen while on a call? t9 doesnt add contacts to dictionary?

In regards to the Dura XV, here is a pretty comprehensive review from verizons website

★★★★☆4 out of 5.
Steve·2 months ago
A nice upgrade from the DuraXV
After owning the Kyocera DuraXV for a year and being reasonably pleased with its performance, I just had to take the leap for the Extreme. Still early in the game here with it but overall to me it was worth the upgrade.

Here are my personal pros and cons with the new Extreme version:

Pros:
 * It feels somewhat more robust in the hand. It's still encased in a plastic body with hard rubber around the outer corners. It is certainly comfortable to hold and my hands are about average sized. It might be slightly heavier than the former DuraXV. Not a big deal. Battery capacity is a little more, not by much though. Kyocera claims safely dropping it from up to 5 feet but I'm not sure I would want to test that. I've owned older Motorola phones that you could drop a concrete block on and not even think twice about it. This one, well, I suppose you could beat it around some but even so treat it nicely when you can :)

* Faster processor. The phone boots up faster than the former DuraXV and the phone overall has a snappier feel to it. This in itself makes it a worthy upgrade if for nothing else.

* The flip is springy and robust. It's a U-shape as compared to the former V-shape. I certainly dig the new U-shape!

* The display is just as clear as the former. Easy to see in the daylight.

* The keypad buttons are a little softer this time. But still about the same as the DuraXV.

* Call quality appears to be as good as before. Very easy to hear on the ear piece and speaker phone is LOUD. Phone ringer is also LOUD, perhaps even louder than the former XV. Reports from the caller is that I was heard loud and strong on their end. The handset now supports a noise reduction which I tested and could tell some difference. With NR on, you have to speak a little louder into the handset which make sense. For most of us buying just to own a better grade basic phone, you might could turn it off. It would be more useful out in a noisy work area as opposed to a quieter home environment.

* Software is MUCH better. An improved updated version of AOSP. Texting screen is different, perhaps a little something new to get used to but not bad. Texts show up in a bubble instead of just plain old print on the screen as before.

* Camera is ok, about like before. It won't win awards but for capturing something on the fly, it works fine. Its all you need if you're buying a handset such as this.

* The outside screen has not changed (which is a good thing).

Cons:
 * The outside button placement: The up/down volume controls are now located on the lower left hand side of the phone where a person's middle finger would rest and its easy to forget and to squeeze the handset thereby disturbing the setting. Not a good choice here, Kyocera.

* The outside buttons are also easier to push - their tactile feel is softer which means they can be easily triggered. With the former DuraXV, you had to "push" the button of your choice. This one simply requires a generally soft push, especially the up/down volume which is a hassle.

* The phone now supports USB-C instead of the universal micro-USB. I know, I'm probably going to get some down thumbs for this but I consider it a personal preference. I want my micro-USB port back! I have loads of micro-USB cables and yes there is a USB-C cable included in the box but now I have to invest in a mobile charger that supports the C cable. Bummer!

Some final notes:
 * Micro SD card support works fine as with the DuraXV. I use a Sandisk 64gb mobile (red/gray) card and it works flawlessly. Same my camera pics on it and works great.

* Battery charging speed is about on par with the DuraXV. From 50% to full takes around 40 minutes, maybe a little longer. Not bad for a basic phone.

In short- Would I recommend this phone? Yep! If you just bought the older XV, meh, wait it out and enjoy what you have but if you've owned an XV for a while and want to upgrade to a faster handset with improved features and overall just a good reliable basic phone, you won't go wrong with the Extreme. Just keep in mind that this thing is built heavy duty. It isn't for everyone and for some it might be a bit bulky, even a touch more bulky than the original DuraXV. Apart from the quirky outside buttons and USB-C, this is definitely the phone for me!

Offline Jojo202

• View Profile
« Reply #702 on: June 09, 2020, 01:48:28 PM »
Some of the  bugs can be fixed/ have workarounds.
Its the most functional of all the above

True that some bugs have workarounds, but what do you mean by most functional? I think a front screen and being able to use the home screen are very imoortant functions. I think people just prefer the look of LG over the cadence...

Offline Baruch

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: June 09, 2020, 03:33:56 PM »

Offline shnu

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: June 14, 2020, 03:13:15 PM »
does anybody know if a locked tracfone can be used on verizon regular?

Offline Jojo202

• View Profile
« Reply #705 on: June 14, 2020, 07:44:48 PM »
does anybody know if a locked tracfone can be used on verizon regular?

To the best of my knowledge NO. It will come up as no network. my case was a Tracfone Samsung j3.

Offline Kosher_Cellutions

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
    • KosherLGClassic
« Reply #706 on: June 18, 2020, 12:04:21 AM »
My new service is out for Samsung Smart phones. Basically a nice MDM solution that can do whatever to the phones. Even make the phone a Waze only device.  My price is the cheapest you will find around and with the best support. I see people charging $100-150 for the same service and it should not really cost this much.

www.koshershield.com
www.kosherlgclassic.com
www.koshertclflip.com
KosherCellutions@gmail.com
Cellutions® is a registered trademark

Offline Mikes@Micro

• View Profile
« Reply #707 on: June 18, 2020, 02:34:35 PM »
My new service is out for Samsung Smart phones. Basically a nice MDM solution that can do whatever to the phones. Even make the phone a Waze only device.  My price is the cheapest you will find around and with the best support. I see people charging $100-150 for the same service and it should not really cost this much.

www.koshershield.com
The excuse always that MDM providers charge a monthly licensing fee? How do you avoid that?
H/t PinchosL

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
    • KosherLGClassic
« Reply #708 on: June 18, 2020, 08:17:07 PM »
The excuse always that MDM providers charge a monthly licensing fee? How do you avoid that?

I own my solution and the servers  ;D. Others just license the tech from someone else. I just made WhatsApp kosher btw. No pictures or videos.
www.kosherlgclassic.com
www.koshertclflip.com

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #709 on: June 18, 2020, 09:58:10 PM »
Are there any viable options for Sprint? (Yes, I saw the wiki).

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
    • KosherLGClassic
« Reply #710 on: June 18, 2020, 10:06:09 PM »
I just finished the Alcatel Flip for Sprint 4044T.
www.kosherlgclassic.com
www.koshertclflip.com

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: June 18, 2020, 11:24:19 PM »

www.koshershield.com

Can not send or receive PICTURES, VIDEOS, or Website Links. Calling and Typing only!

voice notes?
["-"]

Online username

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #712 on: June 19, 2020, 10:55:01 AM »
Has anyone gotten Waze to work on LG Exalt LTE VN220? I followed all the instructions, and its fully on my phone, but i am not able to enter an address. (cant get my cursor into the address field).

Same issue I have with Smart list. I can enter a name, but cannot figure out how to 'scroll down" to select and dial the number.
^^^

Offline Mikes@Micro

• View Profile
« Reply #713 on: June 19, 2020, 11:05:36 AM »
Has anyone gotten Waze to work on LG Exalt LTE VN220? I followed all the instructions, and its fully on my phone, but i am not able to enter an address. (cant get my cursor into the address field).

Same issue I have with Smart list. I can enter a name, but cannot figure out how to 'scroll down" to select and dial the number.
Yes I have in multiple phones....
You need to download the app called Waze Launcher

Which website did you use?
H/t PinchosL

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
    • KosherLGClassic
« Reply #714 on: June 19, 2020, 12:41:07 PM »
Can not send or receive PICTURES, VIDEOS, or Website Links. Calling and Typing only!

voice notes?

Voice Notes are fine
www.kosherlgclassic.com
www.koshertclflip.com

Online username

• View Profile
« Reply #715 on: June 19, 2020, 02:20:22 PM »
Yes I have in multiple phones....
You need to download the app called Waze Launcher

Which website did you use?

Thank you!  Any advice for Smart List?
^^^

Online username

• View Profile
« Reply #716 on: June 19, 2020, 02:26:43 PM »
And I installed the "home screen" fix from the PC with the installer. How do I activate it while on a call?
^^^

Offline Mikes@Micro

• View Profile
« Reply #717 on: June 19, 2020, 02:41:15 PM »
Thank you!  Any advice for Smart List?
Uninstalled bc I never used it. Sorry. Used a lot of background data and made probs with contacts.

And I installed the "home screen" fix from the PC with the installer. How do I activate it while on a call?
Did you read the instructions I recommend saving the contact as "(1)" so it will always be on top then new cal > contacts >(1)> go
H/t PinchosL

Online username

• View Profile
« Reply #718 on: June 19, 2020, 03:57:13 PM »
Did you read the instructions I recommend saving the contact as "(1)" so it will always be on top then new cal > contacts >(1)> go

Where are instructions...can you share a link please?
^^^

Offline Mikes@Micro

• View Profile
« Reply #719 on: June 19, 2020, 04:11:30 PM »
Where are instructions...can you share a link please?
On the page where you downloaded the app
H/t PinchosL