Author Topic: Paypal Digital Gifts Hacked IMPORTANT  (Read 12596 times)

Offline jason1960

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Paypal Digital Gifts Hacked IMPORTANT
« on: September 05, 2016, 04:05:12 PM »
I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, but it is being reported by Doctor of Credit that the Paypal Digital Gifts system was hacked in August. If you bought any gift cards from Paypal Digital Gifts in the last 2 months, check your balance immediately. I just checked and 2 of my Best Buy gift cards have a balance of $0.

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Paypal Digital Gifts Hacked IMPORTANT
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 04:27:12 PM »
I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, but it is being reported by Doctor of Credit that the Paypal Digital Gifts system was hacked in August. If you bought any gift cards from Paypal Digital Gifts in the last 2 months, check your balance immediately. I just checked and 2 of my Best Buy gift cards have a balance of $0.
link to DoC? Don't see this on his site.
never mind, found it.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/paypal-digital-gifts-hacked-last-month/
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline doctorofcredit

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Doctor of Credit
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 07:25:19 PM »
Important to note that we aren't sure if there were hacked, but a lot of gift card balances have been zero'd out.
Like my posts? Check out my blog Doctor of Credit.

Offline jason1960

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 07:28:11 PM »
Thanks doctor, but I always print out my gift cards as soon as I get them and also put them in an encrypted word document on my pen drive. I then immediately delete the email from paypal and totally delete it from my deleted box. There is absolutely no way that someone could have gotten my gift cards and used them unless their system was hacked.

Offline dikes1210

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 07:33:42 PM »
Important to note that we aren't sure if there were hacked, but a lot of gift card balances have been zero'd out.
Did anyone try using the gift cards? Is it possible something is wrong with the reporting & it shows a 0 balance but it really has the full amount?
"Signature Goes Here"

Offline jason1960

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 07:37:14 PM »
Just to clarify my last point, my gift cards are always IMMEDIATELY deleted from my inbox and permanently deleted from my trash on my email box. The only place the gift cards exist are on a paper in my house and in an encrypted word document on my drive. So here are the only possible ways that the gift cards could have been stolen:

a) Someone broke  into my house (without me knowing), copied the numbers from only 2 of my 15 gift cards, and then used them (highly unklikely)

b)  Someone hacked into my computer, was able to read an encrypted word document, and stole the numbers only from gift cards that I purchased from paypal buy not gift cards purchased from anyone else, even though they were all in the same word document (again, highly unlikely).

c)  Someone hacked into the paypal system. Considering the fact that many people have had their gift cards depleted recently, it seems that there is no question the paypal system was hacked.

Offline jason1960

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 07:40:34 PM »
Did anyone try using the gift cards? Is it possible something is wrong with the reporting & it shows a 0 balance but it really has the full amount?

Someone reported on the disboards this morning (Disney World forum) that their Best Buy card had a $0 balance and they called Best Buy and was told that their card had been used online.

Offline dikes1210

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 07:41:04 PM »
Just to clarify my last point, my gift cards are always IMMEDIATELY deleted from my inbox and permanently deleted from my trash on my email box. The only place the gift cards exist are on a paper in my house and in an encrypted word document on my drive. So here are the only possible ways that the gift cards could have been stolen:

a) Someone broke  into my house (without me knowing), copied the numbers from only 2 of my 15 gift cards, and then used them (highly unklikely)

b)  Someone hacked into my computer, was able to read an encrypted word document, and stole the numbers only from gift cards that I purchased from paypal buy not gift cards purchased from anyone else, even though they were all in the same word document (again, highly unlikely).

c)  Someone hacked into the paypal system. Considering the fact that many people have had their gift cards depleted recently, it seems that there is no question the paypal system was hacked.

Not very likely that options A & B happened to everyone with a 0 balance....
The only thing you are missing is a 24hr armed security guard guarding the encrypted chip and paper.  :)
"Signature Goes Here"

Offline jason1960

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 07:53:57 PM »
Not very likely that options A & B happened to everyone with a 0 balance....
The only thing you are missing is a 24hr armed security guard guarding the encrypted chip and paper.  :)

I know, I am a little OCD with my gift cards...lol. I was just trying to make the point to DoctorofCredit that my situation pretty much guarantees it was a hack.

Right now, I only have 2 $100 Best buy gift cards which have a $0 balance. I still have 8 other $100 gift cards from best buy which still have their balance, so I am going to run down to best buy after work tomorrow and ask them to transfer those gift cards onto new gift cards. I will then have to deal with paypal about getting my money back for the 2 $100 gift cards. I am going to wait a few days and see what happens before I deal with them.

Offline regular

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 08:32:41 PM »
You sound like a scary person to deal with. I feel bad for that poor BB worker who has to help you lol

Offline A3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 08:42:33 PM »
I know, I am a little OCD with my gift cards...lol. I was just trying to make the point to DoctorofCredit that my situation pretty much guarantees it was a hack.

Right now, I only have 2 $100 Best buy gift cards which have a $0 balance. I still have 8 other $100 gift cards from best buy which still have their balance, so I am going to run down to best buy after work tomorrow and ask them to transfer those gift cards onto new gift cards. I will then have to deal with paypal about getting my money back for the 2 $100 gift cards. I am going to wait a few days and see what happens before I deal with them.
If they even make it to tom afternoon.
Better order an item for store pickup with the cards, and return it straight away.

Offline Chief Rabbi of New York

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 09:01:16 PM »
If they even make it to tom afternoon.
Better order an item for store pickup with the cards, and return it straight right away.

FTFY
Show Some Respect for Me, I am The Chief Rabbi of New York :)

Offline A3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 09:08:56 PM »
FTFY
So your fixing a whole country with 4 letters.

Congratulations.

IDGAS

Offline Chief Rabbi of New York

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 09:12:17 PM »
So your fixing a whole country with 4 letters.

Congratulations.

IDGAS

I hope you feel better. will Imodium help?
Show Some Respect for Me, I am The Chief Rabbi of New York :)

Offline doctorofcredit

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Doctor of Credit
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 11:10:42 PM »
Doesn't even look like they are hacked, you can do a simple google search and the e-mails and gift card codes for iTunes will come up.
Like my posts? Check out my blog Doctor of Credit.

Offline pcgeek

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 12:04:10 AM »
Thanks doctor, but I always print out my gift cards as soon as I get them and also put them in an encrypted word document on my pen drive. I then immediately delete the email from paypal and totally delete it from my deleted box. There is absolutely no way that someone could have gotten my gift cards and used them unless their system was hacked.
Unfortunately that's not necessarily sufficient. Some cards are showing up in google searches

Offline raccah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 12:28:32 AM »
I saw that as well, why does google have those emails/data? That is really messed up with PayPal! Maybe PayPal's emails or data was searchable somehow. Does not look like someone indexed those on Google, that looks like google found these pages and indexed them somehow. Maybe someone leaked a indexing file - what a mess!

Offline jason1960

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 05:43:52 AM »
First of all, my gift cards were best Buy, not iTunes and only the iTunes ones are listed on the google search. Second of all, as I said before, I delete my emails immediately (and they were new emails, they had not been read before me so my email was not hacked). Unless you want to suggest that someone has the ability to pull up emails from a totally deleted email trash box, there is  no question this was a paypal hack.

Offline mendy from lakewood

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, National EE, Hertz Presidential.
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 09:03:59 AM »
First of all, my gift cards were best Buy, not iTunes and only the iTunes ones are listed on the google search. Second of all, as I said before, I delete my emails immediately (and they were new emails, they had not been read before me so my email was not hacked). Unless you want to suggest that someone has the ability to pull up emails from a totally deleted email trash box, there is  no question this was a paypal hack.
i think your missing the boat, this was a paypal hack and it was hacked internally so no one cares about your email if it was deleted or not...
"Respect is earned, Honesty is appreciated, Trust is gained, Loyalty is returned"

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2016, 09:09:42 AM »
i think your missing the boat, this was a paypal hack and it was hacked internally so no one cares about your email if it was deleted or not...

Speaking of missing the boat, you just repeated what he's been saying the whole thread.
Visibly Jewish