Author Topic: Charter JFK-TLV for Sukkos $999  (Read 52732 times)

Offline Alexsei

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
Re: Charter JFK-TLV for Sukkos $999
« Reply #180 on: September 29, 2016, 11:13:52 PM »
A charter flight broker once told me as a general rule charter flights cost approx. As much as a biz class ticket will cost for every traveler
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline ad120

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 29, 2016, 11:31:26 PM »
My relative asked me to help her find flights. She wasn't happy with the results so she is canceling her Sukkos plans for Israel. 
A ticket on TK costs $2K for those dates.

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #182 on: September 29, 2016, 11:33:08 PM »
My hunch and again this is what I feel. They had to come up with the money and they just couldn't do it. No company scams you. You think DoAll is stupid and they just Google a company's name and found some scammer in Nigeria, don't think so. They thought they'll sell more premium space, couldn't do it,  were left with 100-200K loss, so they couldn't do it. Can you imagine how expensive this is. It's a 747 sitting idle for an entire week or going back empty and picking them up again after RH, this ain't costs 500K which is 500 X $999 they sold tickets for. This is at least a 800k-1 million Shmiel and they just COULDN'T do it. So it was canceled.

Again pure speculation...But I usually trust my gut feeling.
Look upthread.  They make the bulk of the money from the premium classes which go 3x the price of the $999 tickets
#TYH

Offline shimino1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 29, 2016, 11:40:27 PM »
Charters are not cheap!!!
I'm involved with charters to Poland during the year and the price roundtrip is about $500-600 per seat, in economy.
Consider the fact that you can get round flights TLV-WAW for as low as $120 with LOT or Wizz yet the charter price is at least 4 times that.
Those charters also make a lot of money by selling cargo! I don't think they did that on this flight, could have been an extra 100k-200k

The true cost of a charter NYC-TLV would have to be around 2k to make a profit.

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 29, 2016, 11:52:18 PM »
My relative asked me to help her find flights. She wasn't happy with the results so she is canceling her Sukkos plans for Israel. 
A ticket on TK costs $2K for those dates.
I have a few tickets on the 1155 motzai yk flight that I'm gonna let go. Maybe that'll go back into inventory.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline ad120

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 29, 2016, 11:55:23 PM »
I have a few tickets on the 1155 motzai yk flight that I'm gonna let go. Maybe that'll go back into inventory.
Departing NYC on what date?

Offline LoLo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 30, 2016, 12:26:41 AM »
i canceled last week TK tickets for 10/13 JFK-IST-TLV, they didn't go back into inventory.

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 30, 2016, 12:29:37 AM »
i canceled last week TK tickets for 10/13 JFK-IST-TLV, they didn't go back into inventory.
Canceled a hold, or confirmed tickets?
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline LoLo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 30, 2016, 12:32:50 AM »
Canceled a hold, or confirmed tickets?

Confirmed tickets.

Offline chucksterace

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #189 on: September 30, 2016, 12:38:00 AM »
Thankfully I booked my LOT ORD-WAW-TLV last week. Now nothing is available.
Still hoping to LH or TK opens up.
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 30, 2016, 01:13:22 AM »
My hunch and again this is what I feel. They had to come up with the money and they just couldn't do it. No company scams you. You think DoAll is stupid and they just Google a company's name and found some scammer in Nigeria, don't think so. They thought they'll sell more premium space, couldn't do it,  were left with 100-200K loss, so they couldn't do it. Can you imagine how expensive this is. It's a 747 sitting idle for an entire week or going back empty and picking them up again after RH, this ain't costs 500K which is 500 X $999 they sold tickets for. This is at least a 800k-1 million Shmiel and they just COULDN'T do it. So it was canceled.

Again pure speculation...But I usually trust my gut feeling.
The plane was more less full and the $999 price is long gone. The charged $1900 last week!
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline sillypainter

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 30, 2016, 01:25:22 AM »
The plane was more less full and the $999 price is long gone. The charged $1900 last week!

Still not enough. They MUST charge for EVERY seat an average of $2-2.5K to make "something" out of it, and they clearly did NOT charge that.

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 30, 2016, 01:46:05 AM »
Still not enough. They MUST charge for EVERY seat an average of $2-2.5K to make "something" out of it, and they clearly did NOT charge that.
They did the math more extensively than your back of the napkin math. Unlikely that they suddenly realized that none of their prices all along made sense. They've been organizing flights for years. More likely that their price was based on an agreement with an unestablished company, that screwed them over at the last minute and didn't show up with the promised goods.
JTZ

Offline sillypainter

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 30, 2016, 01:53:39 AM »
They did the math more extensively than your back of the napkin math. Unlikely that they suddenly realized that none of their prices all along made sense. They've been organizing flights for years. More likely that their price was based on an agreement with an unestablished company, that screwed them over at the last minute and didn't show up with the promised goods.

If you want to put your head in the sand that's YOUR choice, but if you want to make the math, you will see what these things cost ALOT OF MONEY (look above thread somebody with charter experience says that they HAD to charge $600 per person for a simple TLV-WAW flight which is MUCH shorter) especially when the plane flies back EMPTY or sits dormant for a week or 10 days for the passenger to come back home.

It never made sense, and it will never make sense, and whoever thought that this will work was a fool to begin with. They either googled "private charter flight" and some Nigerian scammed them with a low price, or better yet they were miscalculating things, they thought that will be able to sell premium seats for MUCH more than they actually could sell it for and they were in a hole for a couple hundred thousand dollars.......And of course the airline said no money, no honey, there is NO plane flying tonight unless we get our money. So they decided that this has to be recalled.

I really pity these guys and I am not sure that if I would be in that industry if I wouldn't try that same gamble, but at the end it was a gamble, and unfortunately for boths sides it didn't work out.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 01:57:04 AM by sillypainter »

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 30, 2016, 02:01:27 AM »
If you want to put your head in the sand that's YOUR choice, but if you want to make the math, you will see what these things cost ALOT OF MONEY (look above thread somebody with charter experience says that they HAD to charge $600 per person for a simple TLV-WAW flight which is MUCH shorter) especially when the plane flies back EMPTY or sits dormant for a week or 10 days for the passenger to come back home.

It never made sense, and it will never make sense, and whoever thought that this will work was a fool to begin with. They either googled "private charter flight" and some Nigerian scammed them with a low price, or better yet they were miscalculating things, they thought that will be able to sell premium seats for MUCH more than they actually could sell it for and they were in a hole for a couple hundred thousand dollars.......And of course the airline said no money, no honey, there is NO plane flying tonight unless we get our money. So they decided that this has to be recalled.

I really pity these guys and I am not sure that if I would be in that industry if I wouldn't try that same gamble, but at the end it was a gamble, and unfortunately for boths sides it didn't work out.
They are a travel agency with extensive experience. I don't think they were gullible in their expectations for seat sales. Have you looked into organizing charters recently? You seem very confident with the minimum prices.
JTZ

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 30, 2016, 02:23:40 AM »

They MUST charge for EVERY seat an average of $2-2.5K to make "something" out of it.
lol. I dont know which hat you pulled those numbers from but its incorrect.

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
Re: Chaos: Chartered Flight Today NYC-KBP Cancelled last minute 450ppl stuck
« Reply #196 on: September 30, 2016, 02:39:16 AM »
LH flies from JFK to Uman, who knew?

It was written by New Yorkers. Give them a break. They don't need to know geography for out of town.

Offline shimino1

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 30, 2016, 02:56:07 AM »
The big problem and lost revenue is that the plane is flying back empty (or sitting on the ground for 8-9 days which is unlikely). You are essentially losing half your revenue right there and then.

Did they try to sell tickets to partially fill the empty return flights? Even if you only fill 40% of the plane, it can mean the difference between making money or losing money.
It also makes a big difference whether or not they sold cargo which can easily bring in another 10-20% revenue.

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 30, 2016, 03:04:45 AM »
They didn't do the math wrong. Sheesh.

What's a much more plausible explanation is that something unexpected happened. An airline would just take care of it themselves but when you don't own your own fleet, it's kinda hard to do that.

Offline a mirrer

• View Profile
Re: Chaos: Chartered Flight Today NYC-KBP Cancelled last minute 450ppl stuck
« Reply #199 on: September 30, 2016, 04:14:57 AM »
There's an airport in Uman who knew?
there actually is this and there was talk of them expanding it to be able to accommodate commercial flights from israel