Topic Wiki

Most banks, including Chase and AMEX, pull from Experian in NY and NJ when you apply for a card. If they see too many pulls, they are more likely to decline your application. The goal is to have the bank look at a different credit report that doesn’t have as many pulls. This is basically done by putting a security block, or “freeze” your Experian (or other hard hit reports) account. That way, banks are blocked from seeing it.

That can be done here:
Equifax
Experian
TransUnion

Obviously, you will not get instant approval and will have to call recon and ask them nicely to pull from a different bureau. Some banks will decline to do so and will require you to give them the pin# you set up when you froze the credit report so they can pull it. When you do call up, make sure you have a good reason for having your report frozen. Tell them there is some incorrect info on your experian credit report and that you don't want to unfreeze it until it gets corrected. DO NOT say that there was a fraud alert so you froze it!!!! This will cause them to freeze your application.

CHASE:
Personal- many have reported success in freezing experian and having apps approved. There are recent reports of this not working anymore and customer service requiring the pin to unlock your report so this may require lots of HUCA. One DDFer reports 15 HUCAs (3/19/14) and no luck. It may be dead  :(
If you plan on doing a chase 2BM, you might want to call and get both approved in the same call as to avoid multiple pulls. Alternatively, you can just unfreeze it before a 2/3BM.
AsherO reports that he had them pull equifax and they pulled transunion 2 days later as well. The best way to avoid a double-pull, is to freeze both Experian + another bureau and have them pull the third.

Business- There is limited reported success getting chase business reps to pull anything other than experian. Only one DDFer reports success and even he admits it was a real pain and lot and lots of HUCA-ing.

AMEX:
Unfortunately, it doesn’t work at all for AMEX. They will require your pin so they can pull Experian.

CITI:
In NY, Citi pulls from either Equifax or Experian or both. So by freezing experian, you can get them to pull just equifax thus preventing the dreaded double pull. (Many Ddfers have reported that Citi will no longer pull from another report once the original pull has been made).

A few side notes:
Freezing your report will automatically opt you out from pre-approved offers. Churners like those so you might want to opt back in.
If you have accounts with a bank they can still do a soft pull on your frozen credit report.
If you open a new account, it will get reported to the frozen credit report. The report just won’t show a hard pull.       

« Last edited by Yehuda25 on March 25, 2014, 10:01:00 PM »

Author Topic: Credit Freeze to Improve Your Experian Score  (Read 154715 times)

Offline scwam

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Credit Freeze to Improve Your Experian Score
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 06:15:30 PM »
+1,
Scwam, please let us know how you fare with Chase? Do you have lots of other recent applications with them?

I will, it will be a few days as I'm still waiting for updates on my CR to report and not sure about doing the BA or to bypass that deal this year and go for 2 CO deals instead (50k and the 30k CO business card). I'm almost 100% sure they are going to pull Equifax like they have the last 2 times anyhow. My last app with chase was 2/10 for the CO card. It's the Citi 75k offer that will be affected by the freeze.
Honestly, I'm not even sure if the freeze is on my account after paying it. Experian are bufoons, I get a letter saying they have removed me from the preapporved card solicitation list for 5 years and makes no mention of a freeze. I never asked to be removed from preapproved invites and the charges shows as "scorecard". USAA and SecureCredit are still able to pull updated copies from Experian. However EliminateIDTheft is not able to pull Experian anymore.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 06:18:32 PM by scwam »

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 07:24:55 PM »
Honestly, I'm not even sure if the freeze is on my account after paying it. Experian are bufoons, I get a letter saying they have removed me from the preapporved card solicitation list for 5 years and makes no mention of a freeze. I never asked to be removed from preapproved invites and the charges shows as "scorecard". USAA and SecureCredit are still able to pull updated copies from Experian. However EliminateIDTheft is not able to pull Experian anymore.

Thanks for all the information. :) How did you initiate the freeze? Did you use this link?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline scwam

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 07:42:34 PM »
Yes, that link led me to this one: https://www.experian.com/freeze/center.html and the bill on the CC shows $10 "EXPERIAN SCORECARD EXP COSTA MESA"

EliminateIDTheft (blocked)
USAA (NOT Blocked)
SecureCredit (NOT Blocked)

I am 100% certain that the two at the bottom are not blocked because one loan just updated yesterday on those Experian records with the new balance at the same time Transunion did.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 07:46:45 PM by scwam »

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 07:47:27 PM »
Yes, that link led me to this one: https://www.experian.com/freeze/center.html and the bill on the CC shows $10 "EXPERIAN SCORECARD EXP COSTA MESA"

EliminateIDTheft (blocked)
USAA (NOT Blocked)
SecureCredit (NOT Blocked)

I am 100% certain that the two at the bottom are not blocked because one loan just updated yesterday on those Experian records with the new balance at the same time Transunion did.
it only blocks new transactions for loans and credit u already have they can access ur report

Offline scwam

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 05:18:09 PM »
Applied CO and BA today doing double browser, referred for 30 days on both. Instant warning via email from SmartCredit about application from JP morgan chase. Will find out tonight who they pulled. Wondering how long I should wait before calling in as not to tip them off that I've already recieved the CO bonus last year.

Offline scwam

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2011, 09:17:48 PM »
Update: Chase CO and Chase BA double browser pulled Equifax today as a single inquiry

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2011, 09:22:43 PM »
Update: Chase CO and Chase BA double browser pulled Equifax today as a single inquiry
when they usually pull experian where u r?

Offline scwam

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2011, 10:10:47 PM »
It's by region on who they use (where you live). 4 apps from Chase in 2 years, always Equifax. I'm in the SE region.

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2011, 10:11:27 PM »
Yes, always, 4 apps from Chase in 2 years, always Equifax. I'm in the SE region.
i assume u meant experian

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2011, 11:14:13 PM »
As reported here, I froze my Experian report and Chase pulled Equfax, it turns out two days later they also pulled TransUnion :(

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2011, 11:16:42 PM »
As reported here, I froze my Experian report and Chase pulled Equfax, it turns out two days later they also pulled TransUnion :(
Blech.
Was it worth it?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2011, 11:17:09 PM »
did u do one app or two?

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2011, 11:19:01 PM »
Blech.
Was it worth it?
it would be worth it for me since only citi pulls equifax and i have 0 pulls on tu

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2011, 11:25:58 PM »
Blech.
Was it worth it?

I don't think so, especially because it's doubtful they'll approve my 100k BA app.

Not IMO, but at least I just got approved for another Amex SPG (Passover Promo, pulled Experian, right before I froze it) and 75k Citi AA (Equifax).

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2011, 11:27:11 PM »
I don't think so, especially because it's doubtful they'll approve my 100k BA app.

Not IMO, but at least I just got approved for another Amex SPG (Passover Promo, pulled Experian, right before I froze it) and 75k Citi AA (Equifax).
how many cards did u apply for when u got two pulls?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2011, 11:35:11 PM »
how many cards did u apply for when u got two pulls?

One app, but my Experian was frozen, so I guess that triggered it. Equifax was pulled at the time of the application, TransUnion seems to have been pulled two days later.

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2011, 11:36:49 PM »
One app, but my Experian was frozen, so I guess that triggered it. Equifax was pulled at the time of the application, TransUnion seems to have been pulled two days later.
interesting

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2011, 11:37:56 PM »
interesting
Indeed.
Makes the whole freezing less enticing unless you live in a state where everyone pulls from one agency.
Of course you can always freeze 2 of your credit reports...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yaakov s

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2011, 11:50:54 PM »
Indeed.
Makes the whole freezing less enticing unless you live in a state where everyone pulls from one agency.
So for NJ residents this should be good.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2011, 11:53:59 PM »
Indeed.

Don't some of the smaller banks (e.g. Juniper) pull from other bureaus in those state?

Should've, could've, would've. But didn't...