Topic Wiki

Most banks, including Chase and AMEX, pull from Experian in NY and NJ when you apply for a card. If they see too many pulls, they are more likely to decline your application. The goal is to have the bank look at a different credit report that doesn’t have as many pulls. This is basically done by putting a security block, or “freeze” your Experian (or other hard hit reports) account. That way, banks are blocked from seeing it.

That can be done here:
Equifax
Experian
TransUnion

Obviously, you will not get instant approval and will have to call recon and ask them nicely to pull from a different bureau. Some banks will decline to do so and will require you to give them the pin# you set up when you froze the credit report so they can pull it. When you do call up, make sure you have a good reason for having your report frozen. Tell them there is some incorrect info on your experian credit report and that you don't want to unfreeze it until it gets corrected. DO NOT say that there was a fraud alert so you froze it!!!! This will cause them to freeze your application.

CHASE:
Personal- many have reported success in freezing experian and having apps approved. There are recent reports of this not working anymore and customer service requiring the pin to unlock your report so this may require lots of HUCA. One DDFer reports 15 HUCAs (3/19/14) and no luck. It may be dead  :(
If you plan on doing a chase 2BM, you might want to call and get both approved in the same call as to avoid multiple pulls. Alternatively, you can just unfreeze it before a 2/3BM.
AsherO reports that he had them pull equifax and they pulled transunion 2 days later as well. The best way to avoid a double-pull, is to freeze both Experian + another bureau and have them pull the third.

Business- There is limited reported success getting chase business reps to pull anything other than experian. Only one DDFer reports success and even he admits it was a real pain and lot and lots of HUCA-ing.

AMEX:
Unfortunately, it doesn’t work at all for AMEX. They will require your pin so they can pull Experian.

CITI:
In NY, Citi pulls from either Equifax or Experian or both. So by freezing experian, you can get them to pull just equifax thus preventing the dreaded double pull. (Many Ddfers have reported that Citi will no longer pull from another report once the original pull has been made).

A few side notes:
Freezing your report will automatically opt you out from pre-approved offers. Churners like those so you might want to opt back in.
If you have accounts with a bank they can still do a soft pull on your frozen credit report.
If you open a new account, it will get reported to the frozen credit report. The report just won’t show a hard pull.       

« Last edited by Yehuda25 on March 25, 2014, 10:01:00 PM »

Author Topic: Credit Freeze to Improve Your Experian Score  (Read 153669 times)

Offline scwam

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Credit Freeze to Improve Your Experian Score
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2011, 07:00:29 PM »
I plan on doing double browser apps on citibank soon with a freeze on Experien. They will definatly attempt experien. But I'm a little concerned the double apps will be negated because of the freeze if they ask to lift the freeze. Not sure if I should just lift the freeze before applying. But then again if they plan to deny me outright for being a "previous cardholder" at least I know they can't arbitrarily pull my credit afterward when it was going be denied for that reason. What should I do? Lift the freeze? Keep it on and risk losing a chance at getting 2 cards at once with 1 pull?

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2011, 07:15:01 PM »
I plan on doing double browser apps on citibank soon with a freeze on Experien. They will definatly attempt experien. But I'm a little concerned the double apps will be negated because of the freeze if they ask to lift the freeze. Not sure if I should just lift the freeze before applying. But then again if they plan to deny me outright for being a "previous cardholder" at least I know they can't arbitrarily pull my credit afterward when it was going be denied for that reason. What should I do? Lift the freeze? Keep it on and risk losing a chance at getting 2 cards at once with 1 pull?
u dont need to risk it if they dont pull dont ask them to reconsider those apps ask them to cancel them and then lift and apply again

Offline scwam

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2011, 08:09:24 PM »
They can cancel the apps and the system will not recognize that I had just applied? I thought the app would still stay in the system regardless of weather a CR was pulled or not.

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2011, 08:15:52 PM »
They can cancel the apps and the system will not recognize that I had just applied? I thought the app would still stay in the system regardless of weather a CR was pulled or not.
good point didnt think of that

Offline scwam

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2011, 03:52:24 PM »
Citibank:
They insist on pulling Experian, Bastards. Applied double browser last night Visa/MC and even though I put in the reference # for the Visa, the rep asked for my phone and I'm sure that showed him both apps which he asked about. He said "experian is your area so we have to use them."
They wouldn't budge.

Offline miles

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Air Canada, UA PLT, ANA, Delta Platinum, AA, BA, Aerosvit, A/A by Chase closed all accounts
« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2011, 03:26:56 PM »
so the freeze only works for chase ?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2011, 03:30:16 PM »
so the freeze only works for chase ?

It seems it doesn't work for Citi or Amex, and works for Chase (worked for me just yesterday). Not sure about other issuers.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline miles

• View Profile
  • Programs: Air Canada, UA PLT, ANA, Delta Platinum, AA, BA, Aerosvit, A/A by Chase closed all accounts
« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2011, 03:34:04 PM »
It seems it doesn't work for Citi or Amex, and works for Chase (worked for me just yesterday). Not sure about other issuers.
did u got instant approval
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 03:37:49 PM by miles »

Offline miles

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2011, 03:38:21 PM »
does the freeze effect instant approval

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2011, 03:41:15 PM »
did u got instant approval

I didn't, but it might for some people. You might also get two pulls with the other bureau(s), (especially if you only freeze one report), as it seems might happen in my case.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline scwam

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2011, 04:11:39 PM »
They initially sent me 2 emails for both apps to contact experian for lifting. They sent another email 4 days later only regarding one app and to again contact experian. So not sure why I didn't get a second request on the other app.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2011, 04:13:31 PM »
They initially sent me 2 emails for both apps to contact experian for lifting. They sent another email 4 days later only regarding one app and to again contact experian. So not sure why I didn't get a second request on the other app.

Maybe they pulled something else? Maybe two requests were for the personal and one for the business?

Offline scwam

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2011, 09:03:02 PM »
They are not pulling anything else and refuse to go forward until I lift. I check all three of my bureaus daily. They were both personals MC/Visa and the appid's are on each of the 3 emails. My wonder is if they will truely pull 1 inq now that 2 apps are on hold and if they will now notice and cancel 1 or both apps after the inq is made for dup apps. I'm still debating on to lift or apply later in 6 months.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2011, 12:36:50 AM »
So, if I got this right, the "freeze method" will not work for Citi or Amex, but has worked for Chase.

And, the best way to avoid a double-pull (as happened with AsherO), is to freeze both Exp + another bureau (as suggested by Dan).

I might try this before I apply for the Hyatt (which I need to do before my diamond status expires).

My Exp CR shows BA - 4/11, Sapphire - 6/20. I'd love to have Chase pull my TU (or even Equi) instead.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2011, 01:22:24 AM »
So, if I got this right, the "freeze method" will not work for Citi or Amex, but has worked for Chase.

And, the best way to avoid a double-pull (as happened with AsherO), is to freeze both Exp + another bureau (as suggested by Dan).

I might try this before I apply for the Hyatt (which I need to do before my diamond status expires).

My Exp CR shows BA - 4/11, Sapphire - 6/20. I'd love to have Chase pull my TU (or even Equi) instead.

Just beware that Chase might still see the other apps/cards, even when they pull your TU. But still, with the TU you'll have an easier time, IME. Even tough they might see those apps, at least they won't see all those Experian inquiries.

Offline scwam

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2011, 11:26:51 AM »
But they probably won't see your new account until 30 to 45 days after the inq, and if you do the app b4 then it's too bad for them. Typically for my file Experian gets hit first, then Equfiax the next day,  after another day last is TU. I am not going to go forward with credit freeze lift as a installment loan has shown up that I requested to be initated a few days ago.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2011, 11:52:50 AM »
Just beware that Chase might still see the other apps/cards, even when they pull your TU. But still, with the TU you'll have an easier time, IME. Even tough they might see those apps, at least they won't see all those Experian inquiries.

Well, I would imagine each Chase rep would be able to see that I do indeed have the BA and Sapphire cards already. However, with a freeze of Exp and Equi, they may not know when I got those cards... unless, of course, each Chase rep has access to each app I submitted.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2011, 11:54:08 AM »
But they probably won't see your new account until 30 to 45 days after the inq, and if you do the app b4 then it's too bad for them. Typically for my file Experian gets hit first, then Equfiax the next day,  after another day last is TU. I am not going to go forward with credit freeze lift as a installment loan has shown up that I requested to be initated a few days ago.

You get smacked with a hard inquiry on all three CB's?? Yikes. Is that a Chase thing or a FL thing?

Offline scwam

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2011, 05:32:37 PM »
No, I'm sorry, there must have been some confusion on my part (now I see that we are talking about only applying for new chase cards with exisiting new chase cards, so what I said most likely won't work). I was speaking about when other companies' new accounts show up on credit reports. Of course you can manipulate this if you ask to change the statement date.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2011, 09:05:33 PM »
No, I'm sorry, there must have been some confusion on my part (now I see that we are talking about only applying for new chase cards with exisiting new chase cards, so what I said most likely won't work). I was speaking about when other companies' new accounts show up on credit reports. Of course you can manipulate this if you ask to change the statement date.

Won't work for BofA, all my BofA accounts were reported within  day or two of approval.