Author Topic: Amex Premium Protection - A disappointing experience  (Read 1336 times)

Offline OscarMeir

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Amex Premium Protection - A disappointing experience
« on: September 12, 2016, 07:55:56 AM »
Crazy story.

Rented a Mini Van from Enterprise Canada - Montreal Airport back in April. Paid for the Amex Premium. Held it for the month. Drove down to NY, over to the Midwest and back up to Montreal. Somewhere in the middle I got nicked by a pebble and got a nice crack across the windshield. No biggie.

Returned the car. Opened a claim with Amex. Provided all requested information. Two months later I get a threatening letter from Enterprise collections stating that as I have no insurance my card will be charged the $270CA for the damage. Amex had never contacted Enterprise at all.

I quickly called Amex and sent them the letter. They say they'll take care of it. Why hadn't they before hand? No clue. The status said "No additional documentation needed".

Fast forward to last week Friday. I get a message from Enterprise saying that Amex will not be covering the damage as the car was damaged on Rt 80 in Pennsylvania and there is no mention on the contract of permission for the car to be taken into the USA.

I am 100% positive when the agent asked where I'll be driving I told him US and CA. I still haven't located the contract to verify for myself that he never put it in the contract. However without proof am I stuck? Do you indeed need special permission to take a rental car across borders?

Regardless, I haven't even heard from Amex, this was from Enterprise. I am very disappointed with their lack of communication and overall lack of involvement. I had to literally connect the two parties to talk. And now they are getting off on a technicality. Could be worse its only $200 or so US. But I would have fixed it for $30 in a garage had I known...

Any advise? Or is this a lesson learned?

Thanks,
A.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
Re: Amex Premium Protection - A disappointing experience
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 04:28:21 PM »
Pretty sure you can take it to the US. Should be clearly in the master contract on their website.

Offline Yehuda25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 09:56:24 PM »
Wow, ouch.
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline Torkay

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 02:19:22 AM »
I know whenever I rent in enterprise in lkwd they ask me where I'm taking the car. I asked them once what the difference is as I have unlimited miles and they told me its for insurance reasons

Offline Torkay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 02:19:36 AM »
Good luck

Offline nathan13

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 09:42:50 PM »
I was told it has to say on contract that you are taking it into the USA. On my contracts there was a section "permission to drive" they would put in USA and CANADA

Offline fresar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 10:17:36 PM »
Lately Amex insurance has been very bad, they always try to get away with paying anything. I stopped using Amex for any car rentals

Offline OscarMeir

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 05:15:54 PM »
This whole story is weird.
I called Amex who denied that there's such an issue. They claim they're waiting on a "Fleet Utilization Log" from Enterprise.

I called back Enterprise, they're sticking to their story.

So I sent an anonymous email to Enterprise asking if I need special permission to take a car across borders. Here's the response:

Thank you for considering Enterprise Rent-A-Car for your car rental needs! My name is Neysha. I will be happy to help you today!

You may travel throughout the US and Canada. Just make sure to have your signed rental agreement with you when crossing borders, no special permissions needed.

Your reference number for this incident is: 160912-000886

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,
Neysha
Enterprise Rent-A-Car Email Customer Service Representative

I sent it in to the Enterprise claims person to forward to Amex.

Let see where this goes... all for $200