Author Topic: Question about paying for parents flight using my credit card  (Read 2642 times)

Offline loveddeals

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Question about paying for parents flight using my credit card
« on: September 12, 2016, 04:36:06 PM »
I am planning to book flights for my parents using my AMEX card (to take advantage of $50 back on $300 or more purchase). I will be booking it directly with Asiana airlines to take advantage of this offer (may make separate bookings to take advantage of the offer on 2 cards).

I was checking Asiana airlines site (just making a dummy booking to see if I can use multiple cards, apparently NO) when I cam across the following wording before hitting Pay Now button:

Enter your payment information in English including the cardholder's name.

Only the traveling passenger's credit card can be used for the transaction.
If an airport agent notices that the passenger's name differs from the card used for the ticket purchase at the check-in counter, that card will be required to be shown to the airport staff for verification.
In case of the card's absence, in accordance with our credit terms and international transportation article 3,

the passenger may not be permitted to board.
Asiana Airlines shall not be liable for the denied boarding of unauthorized passengers.

Should I be worried about them having any issues at check-in? I will be dropping them off at the airport here, so not worried about that part, but on the way back, I wont be there with them.

Any advice/feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline zow

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: Question about paying for parents flight using my credit card
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 09:27:17 PM »
I am planning to book flights for my parents using my AMEX card (to take advantage of $50 back on $300 or more purchase). I will be booking it directly with Asiana airlines to take advantage of this offer (may make separate bookings to take advantage of the offer on 2 cards).

I was checking Asiana airlines site (just making a dummy booking to see if I can use multiple cards, apparently NO) when I cam across the following wording before hitting Pay Now button:

Enter your payment information in English including the cardholder's name.

Only the traveling passenger's credit card can be used for the transaction.
If an airport agent notices that the passenger's name differs from the card used for the ticket purchase at the check-in counter, that card will be required to be shown to the airport staff for verification.
In case of the card's absence, in accordance with our credit terms and international transportation article 3,

the passenger may not be permitted to board.
Asiana Airlines shall not be liable for the denied boarding of unauthorized passengers.

Should I be worried about them having any issues at check-in? I will be dropping them off at the airport here, so not worried about that part, but on the way back, I wont be there with them.

Any advice/feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.
Depending on how long they'll be away and whether you use those Amex cards every day, you could send them away with your Amex cards in their wallets, just in case. 

Offline loveddeals

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 09:29:36 PM »
Depending on how long they'll be away and whether you use those Amex cards every day, you could send them away with your Amex cards in their wallets, just in case. 

They will be gone for 4 months or so. And if I send my card with them, then I will lose on Amex offers if any new ones come in that period.

Offline shulem92

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 12:09:58 AM »
I had this once with Turkish airlines. My father called them and had a rep tell him a practical idea, don't know if this works with ur particular airline. Copy the credit card and your license onto a piece of paper, and write "I hereby authorize ... To fly using my credit card" or something to that effect"

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 12:10:57 AM »
Why don't you just use your parents name to book the ticket? Chances are it'll go through.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline shulem92

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 12:14:48 AM »
Why don't you just use your parents name to book the ticket? Chances are it'll go through.
Great call

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 12:23:05 AM »
They will be gone for 4 months or so. And if I send my card with them, then I will lose on Amex offers if any new ones come in that period.
Give them the card, and order another 10 cards, to make up for the pain of "losing" one card! ;)

Offline ranhan429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 01:45:57 AM »
Give them the card, and order another 10 cards, to make up for the pain of "losing" one card! ;)
Lol
כפרות על כפרה

Offline loveddeals

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 10:50:16 AM »
Thanks for the advice everyone. I am going to do what "Iz" & shulem92 suggested.

Hoping it goes without any hitch.

Offline theyankel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 03:19:05 PM »
you could also order them a card... or get amex to send you a letter that a card is coming... i read somewhere once that a passenger was denied boarding in such a case but dont recall airline or country etc...

Offline loveddeals

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 05:33:03 PM »
you could also order them a card... or get amex to send you a letter that a card is coming... i read somewhere once that a passenger was denied boarding in such a case but dont recall airline or country etc...

Ordering them a card wont get the same card number, so that might not help.

I think safe option is to give them the card (I request a new card for my use) along with copy of my DL and authorization letter. That seems like the best option as of now.