Author Topic: Amex Platinum Benefit-Global Entry  (Read 220114 times)

Offline Galitzyaner

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Re: New Amex Platinum Benefit-Global Entry
« Reply #180 on: July 31, 2012, 08:43:17 AM »
I got to this screen, it won't let me choose both programs
Global Entry is included in Nexus, CMIIW.  You have to be a "Trusted Traveler" (AKA "Global Entry") in order to qualify for Nexus.

Offline KidOOO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 31, 2012, 10:30:07 AM »
Global Entry is included in Nexus, CMIIW.  You have to be a "Trusted Traveler" (AKA "Global Entry") in order to qualify for Nexus.

Can anyone confirm this?

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 31, 2012, 10:57:43 AM »
Can anyone confirm this?
I was just speaking to a Global entry agent at EWR.
He told me that when you get Nexus, you can automatically get GE for free - just need to stop into a GE office and get your fingerprints taken.

Offline KidOOO

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 31, 2012, 11:55:41 AM »
He told me that when you get Nexus, you can automatically get GE for free - just need to stop into a GE office and get your fingerprints taken.

Thanks

Offline KidOOO

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 29, 2012, 11:16:14 AM »

i just got the notice to schdual an interview for nexus, but i am only intrested in the global entry part, can i go directly to the JFK GE enrolment center or do i have to go to nexus interview first?

beacuse the nexus interview spots are far for me

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 29, 2012, 11:18:24 AM »
i just got the notice to schdual an interview for nexus, but i am only intrested in the global entry part, can i go directly to the JFK GE enrolment center or do i have to go to nexus interview first?

beacuse the nexus interview spots are far for me
Call you local global entry office - http://www.globalentry.gov/enrollmentcenters.html

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 10, 2012, 12:08:42 AM »
Here's a little report about my Nexus experience:
First of all, to clarify, Nexus is used when driving between the US and Canada, and when flying from the US into Canada. Global Entry is used when flying from Canada (and Israel - possibly others too) INTO the US. You get a Nexus card 10 days after your appt, and Global Entry is activated immediately at the appt - all you need to use it is your passport. It is valid for 5 years. You need to apply separately for every member of the family, but kids under 18 are free. After you apply online, you need to wait a few months until you get an email notifying you that you're conditionally approved and can now schedule an appt.

I had tried making an appt online, but the availability never matched up to when I was traveling. I walked into a Nexus enrollment center and despite their official policy of 'no walk-ins', they happily took my family in for an appt.
They call it an interview, but the bulk of the time was spent taking fingerprints, iris scans, pics, giving them your passport etc and they just made a drop of casual conversation about where I'm from, what I do etc. It seems they've already looked into you from your application and as stated online, once you are able to make an appt, you are already conditionally approved. The US agent who took fingerprints did specifically mention that the prints came back clean so they definitely run them through the system to check for a criminal history.

Note: I had to remove my contacts to do the initial iris scan (they took like 6 images). Luckily I had the case with me - make sure when going to your appt to either bring a case or not wear contacts. I wonder if going to a kiosk when traveling would work while wearing contacts or if they need to be removed every time!

For a family with kids: For driving there is no difference. However, for flying, they don't do iris scans or fingerprints on young kids (approx under 8 ). So the kids can have Nexus/Global Entry, but can't use the kiosk. They advise you to go to the Passport Desk for special needs/crew which never has a line.

I just used Global Entry with my family - At the entrance to the room with passport control there was a guy checking the passport and boarding pass (flying out of YYZ they do passport control before you fly). There was a mini line there, and I saw a sign in the room indicating where Nexus users go. I walked around the line figuring either I don't need to wait there because I go straight to the Kiosk/Crew booth or I should go to the front of the line. As I approached the agent I said I have Nexus, but he seemed unimpressed and said - 'There's a line'. While I wasn't impressed by that because in reality I should be able to skip or cut that line (what's the point in Nexus if I have to wait behind all the regular people to get to my fast lane?), once I got into the room I still got to cut a 10 minute passport line by going to the Crew Passport booth, and later got to go to a shorter line by security by mentioning that I have Nexus.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 12:20:51 AM by MarkS »

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 10, 2012, 12:15:51 AM »
Thanx for the report!

Do you pay for nexus when you go down for your appointment, or when you originally scheduled your appointment?
(I'm canceling a plat card soon, so thats why it would make a difference)

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 10, 2012, 12:17:22 AM »
Thanx for the report!
Do you pay for nexus when you go down for your appointment, or when you originally scheduled your appointment?
(I'm canceling a plat card soon, so thats why it would make a difference)
When you originally sign up for Nexus online.

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 10, 2012, 12:35:12 AM »
When you originally sign up for Nexus online.

Thanx
Is there a time limit from when I register/apply till my appointment?

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 10, 2012, 12:38:54 AM »
Thanx
Is there a time limit from when I register/apply till my appointment?
After the app you wait a few months until you are even able to make an appt. Once they conditionally approve you and enable you to schedule, you need to schedule  online within 30 days ( though the appt could be for months in advance, it needs to be scheduled within 30 days of conditional approval.)

Offline dealvr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA ExPlat, Qantas Gold, Hyatt Diamond
« Reply #191 on: September 10, 2012, 10:39:52 AM »
Here's a little report about my Nexus experience:
First of all, to clarify, Nexus is used when driving between the US and Canada, and when flying from the US into Canada. Global Entry is used when flying from Canada (and Israel - possibly others too) INTO the US. You get a Nexus card 10 days after your appt, and Global Entry is activated immediately at the appt - all you need to use it is your passport. It is valid for 5 years. You need to apply separately for every member of the family, but kids under 18 are free. After you apply online, you need to wait a few months until you get an email notifying you that you're conditionally approved and can now schedule an appt.

I had tried making an appt online, but the availability never matched up to when I was traveling. I walked into a Nexus enrollment center and despite their official policy of 'no walk-ins', they happily took my family in for an appt.
They call it an interview, but the bulk of the time was spent taking fingerprints, iris scans, pics, giving them your passport etc and they just made a drop of casual conversation about where I'm from, what I do etc. It seems they've already looked into you from your application and as stated online, once you are able to make an appt, you are already conditionally approved. The US agent who took fingerprints did specifically mention that the prints came back clean so they definitely run them through the system to check for a criminal history.

Note: I had to remove my contacts to do the initial iris scan (they took like 6 images). Luckily I had the case with me - make sure when going to your appt to either bring a case or not wear contacts. I wonder if going to a kiosk when traveling would work while wearing contacts or if they need to be removed every time!

For a family with kids: For driving there is no difference. However, for flying, they don't do iris scans or fingerprints on young kids (approx under 8 ). So the kids can have Nexus/Global Entry, but can't use the kiosk. They advise you to go to the Passport Desk for special needs/crew which never has a line.

I just used Global Entry with my family - At the entrance to the room with passport control there was a guy checking the passport and boarding pass (flying out of YYZ they do passport control before you fly). There was a mini line there, and I saw a sign in the room indicating where Nexus users go. I walked around the line figuring either I don't need to wait there because I go straight to the Kiosk/Crew booth or I should go to the front of the line. As I approached the agent I said I have Nexus, but he seemed unimpressed and said - 'There's a line'. While I wasn't impressed by that because in reality I should be able to skip or cut that line (what's the point in Nexus if I have to wait behind all the regular people to get to my fast lane?), once I got into the room I still got to cut a 10 minute passport line by going to the Crew Passport booth, and later got to go to a shorter line by security by mentioning that I have Nexus.

You don't need to wait in the regular line in YYZ.
Hey there! I am using WhatsApp.

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 10, 2012, 10:41:31 AM »
You don't need to wait in the regular line in YYZ.
Even at the entrance to the passport room where they check your passport/boarding pass? Well if the guy doesn't let people through then I guess you do!

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 10, 2012, 11:11:09 AM »
The MB plat offers this benefit as well, correct?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #194 on: September 10, 2012, 01:44:57 PM »
Yes.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 10, 2012, 07:49:48 PM »
I'm in middle of applying, which option do I choose, 2 or 3?

I would like to use this program to travel:

1) Into the United States across the land border from Canada or Mexico (SENTRI: SENTRI enrollment centers)

2)Into the United States using kiosks in the international airports (Global Entry; valid passport is required: Global Entry enrollment centers)

3)Into Canada via land, air or sea (NEXUS; will require a visit to an enrollment center on the U.S./Canada land border or at a major airport in Canada: NEXUS enrollment centers)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #196 on: September 10, 2012, 07:51:58 PM »
2 IIRC.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 10, 2012, 07:54:03 PM »
I'm in middle of applying, which option do I choose, 2 or 3?

Possibly 3 (it doesn't let you select both right?). Getting Nexus should automatically give you Global Entry.

When I applied I think it let you choose both, but since then I helped someone apply and I recall it only letting you select one.
Find out before you click.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 10, 2012, 07:54:42 PM »
Ah, didn't understand from you question (as apparently MarkS did) that you wanted both.

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 10, 2012, 07:55:10 PM »
Call an enrollment center that's still open http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/trusted_traveler/nexus_prog/nexus_enroll.xml (Think west coast)

I believe that Global Entry doesn't automatically give Nexus, but Nexus automatically gives Global entry. (3).