Topic Wiki

ברוך הבא לבית דין של מעלה - שם בבקשה
.ברקוביץ-

מה עשית בחיים?

הייתי איש חסד, מנהל סמינר הידוע. חבר וועד הצדקה.

טוב. אתה בגיהנום

מה?? לא מגיע לי גן עדן??

מגיע. אבל אין מקום!

Author Topic: The School Crisis  (Read 29836 times)

Offline Adam101

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: The School Crisis
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2016, 01:23:30 AM »

Who's in charge? Who's backing this?

Offline Sport

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2016, 07:57:06 AM »
Who's in charge? Who's backing this?
I purposely cropped out the contact info.     It was an ad in the yates this week.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2016, 08:29:32 AM »
Can anyone please explain the "Problem"?
is it that the schools have priorities set?
is it that schools would like to have a parent body that share a common value?

Please!! theres way too much emphasis on attempting to shelter their kids. Of course parents have the right to want their kids in a school where the parent body shares their values but theres a point where it becomes ridicules.

I dont get it. Are people here suggesting that the majority of brooklyn hoseholds dont have smartphones and/or internet in their homes!?

I think  we're suggesting the majority "play the game".

Thats terrible. So not only are we not sheltering our kids we show then that its more important to save face than be honest. We should be commending stbaum for standing up for values instead of telling her to leave town encouraging this sickness.
Eta: and not only are we not actauly sheltering our kids, we're convinced we are so we dont try teaching them how to deal with negative influences. Lovely!

Offline elit

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2016, 08:39:15 AM »

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 25, 2016, 10:30:27 AM »
If a schools Policy is not to accept children that have unfiltered access get a filter, there are many out there.
If a schools Policy is not to accept children that have Movies at home dump the movies, there are many different ways to entertain your children out there.

I dont get it. Are people here suggesting that the majority of brooklyn hoseholds dont have smartphones and/or internet in their homes!?

In fact All schools have internet and most administrators (that are under the age of 40) have smart-phones, most schools all they ask you is to have a filter,
is it that hard to install a filter?
is it worth the tears and pain?.

BYBP expected my 4 yr old to be able to write her own name, draw shapes, identify all aleph bet and alphabet.
Gan Yisroel said no uncle Moishy/yeshivah boys choir/smartphones w/o filter
BYBP clearly writes on their applications
School policy is that at no time may our students be "on-line". This includes the computers,
laptops, ipads, smartphones, ipods, or any other devices in your possession or elsewhere. Also,
our parents are expected to adhere to the call of our Gedolim that all their personal Internet
usage be protected with a filter.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 11:55:27 AM by yesitsme »
["-"]

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #125 on: September 25, 2016, 10:49:06 AM »
There are quite a few families in Lubavitch who ended here because the schools בשיטה accepted everyone. There are also many others who didn't become Lubavitchers but did go to Lubavitcher Yeshiva (and IINM to a much lesser degree Bais Rivkah).

I don't know where you live, but I would guess that if there is a Lubavitch affiliated school, your children will be accepted.
Maybe in NYC.
Not true OOT.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 25, 2016, 11:11:47 AM »
There are quite a few families in Lubavitch who ended here because the schools בשיטה accepted everyone. There are also many others who didn't become Lubavitchers but did go to Lubavitcher Yeshiva (and IINM to a much lesser degree Bais Rivkah).

I don't know where you live, but I would guess that if there is a Lubavitch affiliated school, your children will be accepted.
OOPs!! Gan yisroel is lubavitch

http://www.chabad.org/centers/default_cdo/aid/118340/jewish/Chabad-Lubavitch-of-Boro-Park.htm

And

Gan Yisroel said no uncle Moishy/yeshivah boys choir/smartphones w/o filter

["-"]

Offline rileywiles23

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 25, 2016, 11:36:15 AM »

most schools all they ask you is to have a filter,
is it that hard to install a filter?
is it worth the tears and pain?.
This is the one point that many here keep on ignoring.
Life is as good as you make it...

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2016, 11:45:01 AM »
The idea is that there is a need for parents and families that fit into the school religious wise but don't have filters, keep cholov yisroel, and might have internet or a TV. If they can't get accepted into those schools they end up having nowhere to go because places that might take them are less right wing than they are. There is a whole middle that have nowhere to go. And there's quite a bit of them. So many either do what they 'need' to or "play the game" and lie. It shouldn't have to be like that.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2016, 12:09:22 PM »
The idea is that there is a need for parents and families that fit into the school religious wise but don't have filters
In very many cases that they don't have filters shows that they do not fit in religious wise. With few exceptions it is not such a big deal to put on a filter. What are they afraid they will miss by having a filter?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2016, 12:14:33 PM »
In very many cases that they don't have filters shows that they do not fit in religious wise. With few exceptions it is not such a big deal to put on a filter. What are they afraid they will miss by having a filter?
You're talking about one specific example. OK so they put on a filter. What about everything else ?
It's also 'no big deal' to start wearing a shtriemel, not wear colored shirts, keep cholov yisroel etc etc. It's not the point.

The point is there a large population that want to send their kids to the local right wing yeshiva oriented school that perhaps don't have filters, might own a TV, might eat chalav stam etc etc and we're creating a system where leaves them with no where to go. 
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2016, 12:15:06 PM »
I'd think shmiras hamitzvos is more important . Not too familiar w filters, but perhaps it doesn't work well w their work vpn?

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 25, 2016, 12:18:02 PM »
I'd think shmiras hamitzvos is more important . Not too familiar w filters, but perhaps it doesn't work well w their work vpn?
Non filtered internet can be an impediment to shmiras hamitzvos. Hence the concern.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 25, 2016, 12:18:50 PM »
Non filtered internet can be an impediment to shmiras hamitzvos. Hence the concern.

Anything *can* be an impediment. That doesn't mean it de facto is.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 25, 2016, 12:20:31 PM »
What kind of filters are we talking about ?  Are these specific school mandated or something like covenant eyes, or k9 good enough ?

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 25, 2016, 12:29:49 PM »
I would imagine that many of these schools will be understanding when there is some extenuating circumstance preventing a filter. Maybe not all but probably most. This is why I wrote with few exceptions.

Offline Aaaron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 25, 2016, 12:43:44 PM »
I forgot... let's pick and choose when we listen to our gedolim.  Because school administrators and the parent body certainly know better.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 25, 2016, 12:48:50 PM »
I forgot... let's pick and choose when we listen to our gedolim.  Because school administrators and the parent body certainly know better.

Are all of these school policies established (not just endorsed) by the gedolim? Do they really say that kids whose parents have unfiltered internet (especially for a valid reason) shouldn't be accepted into any good schools? Perhaps the principals say it, but I'd be surprised if this was coming from the gedolim as they probably aren't as narrow minded in seeing what's best for the children and community.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 25, 2016, 01:00:38 PM »

Are all of these school policies established (not just endorsed) by the gedolim? Do they really say that kids whose parents have unfiltered internet (especially for a valid reason) shouldn't be accepted into any good schools? Perhaps the principals say it, but I'd be surprised if this was coming from the gedolim as they probably aren't as narrow minded in seeing what's best for the children and community.
Was it established that no exceptions are made when there is a valid reason for not having a filter? Of course it is debatable what is considered a valid reason

Offline chinagel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 25, 2016, 01:22:34 PM »
Was it established that no exceptions are made when there is a valid reason for not having a filter? Of course it is debatable what is considered a valid reason
why should a valid reason help? its not a punishment rather a consequence of fear of influence? (not saying i agree, just on that side i dont see why a valid reason should make a diff.)