Author Topic: iphone 7 plus vs. note 7  (Read 19531 times)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: iphone 7 plus vs. note 7
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2016, 03:53:52 PM »
Regarding the iPhone 7 upgrade: Pretty much all phone companies have stopped making any major innovations, because there's not much left to innovate.

There are many things that can improve in phones.

No bezel is an obvious one. Thinner. Indestructible. Better resolution. Much faster if they wanted to put 16gb ram they could I'd guess. 3d screens. Image/video protector. Perfect reception.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline theblakdavid

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2016, 03:57:54 PM »

No bezel is an obvious one. Thinner. Indestructible. Better resolution. Much faster if they wanted to put 16gb ram they could I'd guess. 3d screens. Image/video protector. Perfect reception.

Iris scanner. Nanotech battery. Real waterproof. Rapid charging.

Offline travel-ing

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2016, 03:58:30 PM »
You might be right about no androids being better than the Note, though the Pixel sounds very promising. Also, if the Note 7 is the best that Android has to offer, it might be time to consider an iPhone. http://bgr.com/2016/09/19/iphone-7-vs-note-7-specs-speed-test-video/

Regarding the iPhone 7 upgrade: Pretty much all phone companies have stopped making any major innovations, because there's not much left to innovate.
The iPhone 7 is no surprise at all. The camera was upgraded and the battery too, the processor, etc, but nothing special to get excited about. Not happy with 25% better battery? Battery life is not typically improved by much. Note 7 3,500mAh battery capacity is 17% bigger vs Note 5. S5 to S6, battery was actually reduced from 2800 mAh to 2550, while the S6 to S7 was improved by 17%.
regarding the speed you are right, if that is all a phone is to you. how about the camera even with the dual camera on the iphone the note still is on top in most areas, the s pen, the screen, iris scanner, optimization, the list goes on and on.

regarding the battery upgrade, I am comparing the iphone 7 plus to the note 7, not comparing the upgrade from the older model.The note 7 is ahead by 6000 mah plus the note has fast charging and wireless charging.

also that video is for a big gaming person, if you take out the games i doubt there will be such a difference.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 04:01:52 PM by travel-ing »

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2016, 04:13:48 PM »

Iris scanner

useless

Nanotech battery.

Whenever this becomes reality, all phones will have it pretty much right away.

Real waterproof.

Not exactly a groundbreaking upgrade that makes a new phone special. IP67 or IP68 to truly waterproof is not much of a difference to get excited about.

Rapid charging.

This exists already but I read that it can ruin battery capacity.
Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2016, 04:26:26 PM »

No bezel is an obvious one. Indestructible.  Much faster if they wanted to put 16gb ram they could I'd guess. 3d screens. Image/video protector.

Most of these features will basically be introduced incrementally as technology improves. No bezel is cool but not something to rave about. Indestructible would be awesome. I doubt it will ever happen but phones will likely get incrementally stronger and tougher over the years. No point in putting in 16gb RAM when performance will be marginally impacted at best while raising the costs for no reason. I'm a noob when it comes to 3d tech so I'll skip that. And not sure what you mean by image/video protector.

Thinner. Better resolution. Perfect reception.

People don't want phones to get any thinner. They've been pretty thin for years and haven't got thinner for a reason. Resolution- there hasn't been much to talk about for years. Screen quality can improve but again it will be incremental upgrades that are nothing special. Reception- I think this will be up to the cell phone networks to improve, though there are real limitations on what you can do with radio waves. Though wifi calling does a lot to mitigate the issues with reception and a wireless ad hoc network might be reality one day.
Visibly Jewish

Offline theblakdavid

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2016, 04:42:25 PM »

Whenever this becomes reality, all phones will have it pretty much right away.
Therefore what? You said basically all phone companies have stopped making any major innovations for a while. I'm simply pointing the flaws in that statement.

Offline theblakdavid

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2016, 04:44:58 PM »

This exists already but I read that it can ruin battery capacity.

Dunno what youve read or where you read it, but I've had rapid charging phones for 2 years, and it's a breeze to charge in 15-20 minutes and get 80% battery. My battery is still the same as always. And the rapid charge technology can be improved to better than that.

Offline theblakdavid

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2016, 04:48:26 PM »
And more.... Truly wireless charging. Solar recharging. Speaker that can discharge smells. Or a taste pad.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2016, 04:52:37 PM »
Most of these features will basically be introduced incrementally as technology improves. No bezel is cool but not something to rave about. Indestructible would be awesome. I doubt it will ever happen but phones will likely get incrementally stronger and tougher over the years. No point in putting in 16gb RAM when performance will be marginally impacted at best while raising the costs for no reason. I'm a noob when it comes to 3d tech so I'll skip that. And not sure what you mean by image/video protector.

People don't want phones to get any thinner. They've been pretty thin for years and haven't got thinner for a reason. Resolution- there hasn't been much to talk about for years. Screen quality can improve but again it will be incremental upgrades that are nothing special. Reception- I think this will be up to the cell phone networks to improve, though there are real limitations on what you can do with radio waves. Though wifi calling does a lot to mitigate the issues with reception and a wireless ad hoc network might be reality one day.
It's just your statement that there is nothing to improve on is completely absurd.

See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline theblakdavid

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2016, 04:55:13 PM »
It's just your statement that there is nothing to improve on is completely absurd.
Hear hear

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2016, 05:14:49 PM »
Therefore what? You said basically all phone companies have stopped making any major innovations for a while. I'm simply pointing the flaws in that statement.

So nanobatteries exist?
And phone companies are the responsible for innovating battery tech?
Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2016, 05:24:54 PM »

That's a cop out.
I never said there's nothing to improve.
But we will go for years before anything will blow us out of the water like the early days of smartphones where constant innovation was expected.
People don't get excited if a phone is 20% faster, has a battery is 10% larger, is slightly more water resistant, or screen is slightly bigger. IMHO pretty much all the upgrades we see nowadays are incremental, or nothing groundbreaking.
Visibly Jewish

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2016, 05:43:33 PM »
That's a cop out.
I never said there's nothing to improve.
But we will go for years before anything will blow us out of the water like the early days of smartphones where constant innovation was expected.
People don't get excited if a phone is 20% faster, has a battery is 10% larger, is slightly more water resistant, or screen is slightly bigger. IMHO pretty much all the upgrades we see nowadays are incremental, or nothing groundbreaking.
until the next groundbreaking innovation you didn't think of.....
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2016, 05:45:28 PM »

My experience has shown that devices can have vast differences in their reception on the same network. You can see that with the floor models in any cell phone store. When I got my Sprint Centro the difference was as if I switched providers.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2016, 05:52:37 PM »
until the next groundbreaking innovation you didn't think of.....

That's a possibility but my point is that innovation in the smart phone space is rarer than we think.

Take laptops for example.
Laptops were extremely bulky, heavy, terrible screens, and poor battery life.

How many innovations have been created over the past few decades in that space?
They got to a point of being very comfortable, light, powerful, and amazing devices.
You have a few "recent" innovations like the Macbook Air and chromebook, but otherwise, hasn't most of the technology stayed pretty much the same while getting incrementally better? That's just the way technology develops.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 05:57:52 PM by yuneeq »
Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2016, 05:56:51 PM »
My experience has shown that devices can have vast differences in their reception on the same network. You can see that with the floor models in any cell phone store. When I got my Sprint Centro the difference was as if I switched providers.

I agree with this- note my reply was in response to the "perfect reception" feature. Even the best phone with the best features and most wireless bands will not get perfect reception in any location due to limitations of the current cellular network.
Visibly Jewish

Offline theblakdavid

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2016, 06:00:30 PM »
So nanobatteries exist?
------------->>>>>

Pretty much all phone companies have stopped making any major innovations, >because there's not much left to innovate. <

« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 06:18:07 PM by theblakdavid »

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2016, 06:13:44 PM »
------------->>>>>

I already answered this, so I'll repeat for your pleasure.
Nano battery tech won't be a smartphone innovation, it'd be the battery industry's innovation. Pretty strange to expect phone companies to invent a nex-gen battery when it's not their business to do that. Besides, there's been claims about the next gen-battery tech for decades and none of them have panned out. So whenever it finally happens it will be a world changing innovation.

Visibly Jewish

Offline theblakdavid

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2016, 06:17:43 PM »
I already answered this, so I'll repeat for your pleasure.
Nano battery tech won't be a smartphone innovation, it'd be the battery industry's innovation. Pretty strange to expect phone companies to invent a nex-gen battery when it's not their business to do that. Besides, there's been claims about the next gen-battery tech for decades and none of them have panned out. So whenever it finally happens it will be a world changing innovation.

Nanotechnology is close to being released, I know people in the industry. And who do you think is funding the research? U got it!!!!!! Not alkaline, Duracell..... But.......
Secondly, that wasn't my point.... You said that there is no major advances that a phone can be released with. Which is simply not true.
As jj put it "It's just your statement that there is nothing to improve on is completely absurd."
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 06:21:13 PM by theblakdavid »

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2016, 06:28:18 PM »
Nanotechnology is close to being released, I know people in the industry. And who do you think is funding the research? U got it!!!!!! Not alkaline, Duracell..... But.......
Secondly, that wasn't my point.... You said that there is no major advances that a phone can be released with. Which is simply not true.
As jj put it "It's just your statement that there is nothing to improve on is completely absurd."

Nice strawman, no one claimed that there are no improvements possible, but thanks for participating.
Visibly Jewish