Author Topic: iphone 7 plus vs. note 7  (Read 19201 times)

Offline theblakdavid

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: iphone 7 plus vs. note 7
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2016, 06:30:20 PM »
Nice strawman, no one claimed that there are no improvements possible, but thanks for participating.
Oh, I'm sorry Mr bubblehead, I must have somehow misread your post. I could have sworn that's what you wrote. It's just too bad I can't go back and check.

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2016, 06:33:24 PM »
Oh, I'm sorry Mr bubblehead, I must have somehow misread your post. I could have sworn that's what you wrote. It's just too bad I can't go back and check.

Now it's getting personal...good job
Visibly Jewish

Offline theblakdavid

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2016, 06:33:56 PM »
Hey!! Look what I found. How strange.....

Regarding the iPhone 7 upgrade: Pretty much all phone companies have stopped making any major innovations, because there's not much left to innovate.

Offline theblakdavid

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2016, 06:35:41 PM »

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2016, 06:42:33 PM »
Hey!! Look what I found. How strange.....

Head--> meet sand. I made it clear that companies will innovate in the reply to JJ that you obviously read. IMHO companies have stopped innovating the past 5 or so years but I never said that innovation will never happen again.

Not at all

Nothing personal, but you're a moronic troll.
Visibly Jewish

Offline theblakdavid

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2016, 06:51:40 PM »

Nothing personal, but you're a moronic troll.

Umm... My bad. My apologies.

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2016, 06:53:24 PM »
Well this escalated quickly
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline mileagejunkie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 607
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2016, 07:16:02 PM »
There are many things that can improve in phones.

No bezel is an obvious one. Thinner. Indestructible. Better resolution. Much faster if they wanted to put 16gb ram they could I'd guess. 3d screens. Image/video protector. Perfect reception.
A lot use quite a lot of battery. Reception? The iPhone 7 shows 150mbps down speeds on T-Mobile! I think a major one would be to have the front camera behind the screen. Apple has a patent for this and I can't wait for them to implement it, you would finally be able to look in someone's eyes when face timing. Rumors say the next iPhone should be revolutionary, let's see.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2016, 08:07:53 PM »
That's a possibility but my point is that innovation in the smart phone space is rarer than we think.

Take laptops for example.
Laptops were extremely bulky, heavy, terrible screens, and poor battery life.

How many innovations have been created over the past few decades in that space?
They got to a point of being very comfortable, light, powerful, and amazing devices.
You have a few "recent" innovations like the Macbook Air and chromebook, but otherwise, hasn't most of the technology stayed pretty much the same while getting incrementally better? That's just the way technology develops.
Innovation in ANYTHING is rare. Most inventions are improvements on the existing ones.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2016, 08:09:47 PM »
I agree with this- note my reply was in response to the "perfect reception" feature. Even the best phone with the best features and most wireless bands will not get perfect reception in any location due to limitations of the current cellular network.
The point is that there is significant room for improvement in many aspects.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2016, 01:22:53 AM »
Innovation in ANYTHING is rare. Most inventions are improvements on the existing ones.

I agree. The gist of my argument is that when smartphones first became popular, many new features were "disruptive" and not just incremental upgrades. High quality operating systems, amazing screen quality, powerful energy efficient mobile processors, multi-touch screen, dual tasking, great browsers, non-potato cameras, and etc. These features literally changed the world. People still expect Samsung and Apple to reinvent the wheel with each and every phone they release. But as technology progresses there is less and less disruptive innovation until another break though occurs. I.e. New cameras keep getting better and better, but aren't disruptive now like when smartphones killed the point and shoot. Maybe if they figure out to cram DSLR tech into a thin smartphone...

The point is that there is significant room for improvement in many aspects.

I hear, but I think: flagship phone + good network + wifi calling has us pretty much covered with not much room for improvement from the phone side of things. It's silly to expect my phone to have coverage in a Faraday cage even with future tech advancements. Theoretical max download speeds on any flagship phone are typically far higher than what any network offer. Networks can and will always get better and the flagships will continue adding LTE/5G/misc. bands to accommodate those network upgrades. Any innovation in this space has to come from the networks, IMO.
Visibly Jewish

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2016, 01:27:30 AM »
I agree. The gist of my argument is that when smartphones first became popular, many new features were "disruptive" and not just incremental upgrades. High quality operating systems, amazing screen quality, powerful energy efficient mobile processors, multi-touch screen, dual tasking, great browsers, non-potato cameras, and etc. These features literally changed the world. People still expect Samsung and Apple to reinvent the wheel with each and every phone they release. But as technology progresses there is less and less disruptive innovation until another break though occurs. I.e. New cameras keep getting better and better, but aren't disruptive now like when smartphones killed the point and shoot. Maybe if they figure out to cram DSLR tech into a thin smartphone...

I hear, but I think: flagship phone + good network + wifi calling has us pretty much covered with not much room for improvement from the phone side of things. It's silly to expect my phone to have coverage in a Faraday cage even with future tech advancements. Theoretical max download speeds on any flagship phone are typically far higher than what any network offer. Networks can and will always get better and the flagships will continue adding LTE/5G/misc. bands to accommodate those network upgrades. Any innovation in this space has to come from the networks, IMO.
My experience from comparing side to side has always been that Samsung phones always had worse reception

Offline shulem92

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2016, 01:59:17 AM »
Note 7 is da bomb!

It's just a really hot phone. Seriously the hottest phone ever!
ALOL

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2016, 08:46:07 AM »
That's a cop out.
I never said there's nothing to improve.
But we will go for years before anything will blow us out of the water like the early days of smartphones where constant innovation was expected.
People don't get excited if a phone is 20% faster, has a battery is 10% larger, is slightly more water resistant, or screen is slightly bigger. IMHO pretty much all the upgrades we see nowadays are incremental, or nothing groundbreaking.
When you said "there's not much left to innovate. " Me and others took that to mean smartphones will NEVER get much better, now you have clarified that with current technology not much will improve, which I can somewhat agree with.

But we can all agree that a smartphone in 20-40 years from now will have new and superior tech than what we use today. If we even still use smartphone that is...

Agreed?

(P.S. saying you don't know about 3d tech is a total cop out, and saying nano batteries aren't ready is a total cop out as well, they are technologies that at least somewhat exist that would be revolutionary for smartphones. And a projector is exactly how it sounds, your phone can project a movie onto a 100" screen and be hd quality, that'd be pretty cool.)
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2016, 10:47:31 AM »
When you said "there's not much left to innovate. " Me and others took that to mean smartphones will NEVER get much better, now you have clarified that with current technology not much will improve, which I can somewhat agree with.

But we can all agree that a smartphone in 20-40 years from now will have new and superior tech than what we use today. If we even still use smartphone that is...

Agreed?

Yes.

(P.S. saying you don't know about 3d tech is a total cop out, and saying nano batteries aren't ready is a total cop out as well, they are technologies that at least somewhat exist that would be revolutionary for smartphones. And a projector is exactly how it sounds, your phone can project a movie onto a 100" screen and be hd quality, that'd be pretty cool.)

I honestly have never used 3D tech to tell you if I think it's amazing tech or just a gimmick. I know with TVs it was hyped up as a big feature but now it has a reputation as a gimmick. And I haven't heard much hype about it for phones.

We've been hearing for decades about the next major advance in batteries but we still haven't seen bubkiz. Each new battery technology is either impossible to achieve, it costs too much, or cannot be mass manufactured. I did a quick search about nanobatteries and see that this has been worked on since 1991 and still nothing on the market. So please excuse my skepticism unless you have solid proof that this will be invented very soon.

Projector? Please refresh my memory, I haven't seen you mention that before.
Visibly Jewish

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2016, 11:30:25 AM »
Yes.

I honestly have never used 3D tech to tell you if I think it's amazing tech or just a gimmick. I know with TVs it was hyped up as a big feature but now it has a reputation as a gimmick. And I haven't heard much hype about it for phones.

We've been hearing for decades about the next major advance in batteries but we still haven't seen bubkiz. Each new battery technology is either impossible to achieve, it costs too much, or cannot be mass manufactured. I did a quick search about nanobatteries and see that this has been worked on since 1991 and still nothing on the market. So please excuse my skepticism unless you have solid proof that this will be invented very soon.

Projector? Please refresh my memory, I haven't seen you mention that before.
Glad we came to a resolution :)

LMAO I wrote protector instead of projector was just a typo...
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2016, 11:31:07 AM »
My experience from comparing side to side has always been that Samsung phones always had worse reception

1) It might be a problem of the combination of your phone + network. Eg. Tmobile uses bands 21 and 46 (I don't remember the real numbers) and your phone operates in bands 21, 30, and 35. An iPhone (especially the Sprint version) is usually compatible with a crazy amount of bands and would probably include bands 21 and 46. So if band 21 has a weak signal and 46 is fine, the iPhone will perform better.

2) If the Samsung device operates on all the compatible bands, and is still weaker it probably points to poor antenna design, flawed firmware, or a lower quality network chip.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2016, 11:45:18 AM »
Samsung has the same reception as an iPhone, the bars just refer to different levels.
If anything my VZW Note Edge has better reception than my friend's VZW iPhone 6 which doesn't work in places my phone does.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2016, 12:33:12 PM »
Samsung has the same reception as an iPhone, the bars just refer to different levels.
If anything my VZW Note Edge has better reception than my friend's VZW iPhone 6 which doesn't work in places my phone does.

Not all phones are created equally, and anecdotal evidence won't prove which is better.
I did find a study that compares cell phone reception for GSM networks and the S7 Edge leads the list.
Only issue is that Verizon is better and runs on CDMA, so another study would need to be conducted to find out which phone can get the best possible reception.

http://www.businessinsider.com/smartphones-with-best-cell-signal-strength-reception-2016-9
Visibly Jewish

Offline Yehuda25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2016, 05:14:09 PM »
Note 7 rocks, buy apple if you enjoy being told what to do.
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle