Author Topic: Question about CSP downgrade and keeping the miles  (Read 824 times)

Offline loveddeals

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Question about CSP downgrade and keeping the miles
« on: September 21, 2016, 11:55:32 AM »
AF has hit on my CSP (well actually wife's, but I manage all this aor thing, she doesn't want to be bothered). Her application for new reserve card was denied, too many credits. Have about 140K UR points currently. I understand that we can downgrade this CSP to Freedom card with no AF and keep our points active. I also understand that going this route, we won't be able to transfer these UR to any airlines. We dont have any travel plans at this time, and so dont want to transfer the points to some airline now when we dont know where we would need points later.

I will be doing aor in my name in a couple of months (will apply for reserve card then if the offer is still available) as I want to get SW companion pass (CP). Wife's CP is good till Dec '16. I haven't signed up for any card in my name in over 2 years. Thinking of applying for Chase cards first during that aor and then later on for other issuer cards. Will come back for advice then :)

My question is: if we downgrade wife's CSP to Freedom (keep points active without transferring yet), then when I apply cards under my name (let's say Reserve or ink plus), can I add myself as AU to wife's Freedom card and then transfer her UR to my UR and thus transfer to airline?

Thanks.

Thanks.

Online mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
Re: Question about CSP downgrade and keeping the miles
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 11:59:59 AM »
You don't need to add urself as an AU. Transferring UR between spouses is allowed

Offline LoLo

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 12:01:00 PM »
Yes.

You can also upgrade her freedom to csp/csr to transfer points when you need them.

Offline LoLo

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 12:01:44 PM »
You don't need to add urself as an AU. Transferring UR between spouses is allowed
Iirc, with the new terms, the spouse has to be an AU.

Offline YOSSI170

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 12:23:03 PM »
Iirc, with the new terms, the spouse has to be an AU.
When did this happen?

Offline loveddeals

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 01:02:10 PM »
Thanks for the prompt replies everyone. That helps a lot, knowing that URs are there when we need them, and dont have to transfer them to an airline which we might not use later on.

Will open (downgrade) CSP to Freedom card, and then when I apply for cards under my name, transfer wife's URs to my UR and then to airline (hopefully we will be ready for our next vacation then :) ).