Author Topic: Public letter  (Read 78850 times)

Offline shmueli2007

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Public letter
« on: September 26, 2016, 04:04:32 PM »
To Whom It May Concern,
I am a rabbi at Columbia University and a graduate of Beis Midrash Gavoah in Lakewood, NJ.
I have transgender students, transgender congregants, and I have a transgender child. As Jewish educators, we don’t teach Torah, in that the Torah doesn’t need us as a rebbe. Rather, we teach children, God’s children – in God’s dwelling place, the classroom. We are taught in Shabbos 119b that God’s house in Jerusalem was only destroyed because schoolchildren were diverted from learning Torah. The Maharal observes that the purity and holiness of schoolchildren is greater than that of the Holy Temple. He explains that the wood and stones of the Temple are limited in their ability to accept holiness by their finite physical nature. By contrast, children, possessing an eternal soul, have an expansive capacity to hold God’s holiness through Torah learning. When the Jewish People prevented schoolchildren from being the natural receptacle of Torah that they are, it showed that they were not sensitive enough to appreciate even the lower level holiness of the Temple, and were therefore unworthy of it.
What do our actions say about our understanding of the Torah, which doesn’t itself have a soul, when we deny its intended purpose, which is to be learned by the souls of God’s children? We are only worthy to teach Torah when we can appreciate the holiness and goodness of those whom we are teaching. All of God’s children are equally loved and entitled to the inheritance of a Jewish education, because they are the holiest among us.
No child should be denied admission based on gender identity. Further, Jewish schools should be welcoming, respectful, and affirming of the gender identities expressed by students. This means at least assuring safe and comfortable bathroom access, usage of preferred pronouns, and gender-affirming application of school dress codes.
The divine mandate to teach Torah comes with the holy responsibility to teach it properly – holding in our hearts that each child’s most pronounced identity is being created in the image of God.
- Rabbi Mike Moskowitz
Sammyboy - All Trump All the time.

Offline Aaaron

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Public letter
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 04:13:20 PM »
To Whom It May Concern,
I am a rabbi at Columbia University and a graduate of Beis Midrash Gavoah in Lakewood, NJ.
I have transgender students, transgender congregants, and I have a transgender child. As Jewish educators, we don’t teach Torah, in that the Torah doesn’t need us as a rebbe. Rather, we teach children, God’s children – in God’s dwelling place, the classroom. We are taught in Shabbos 119b that God’s house in Jerusalem was only destroyed because schoolchildren were diverted from learning Torah. The Maharal observes that the purity and holiness of schoolchildren is greater than that of the Holy Temple. He explains that the wood and stones of the Temple are limited in their ability to accept holiness by their finite physical nature. By contrast, children, possessing an eternal soul, have an expansive capacity to hold God’s holiness through Torah learning. When the Jewish People prevented schoolchildren from being the natural receptacle of Torah that they are, it showed that they were not sensitive enough to appreciate even the lower level holiness of the Temple, and were therefore unworthy of it.
What do our actions say about our understanding of the Torah, which doesn’t itself have a soul, when we deny its intended purpose, which is to be learned by the souls of God’s children? We are only worthy to teach Torah when we can appreciate the holiness and goodness of those whom we are teaching. All of God’s children are equally loved and entitled to the inheritance of a Jewish education, because they are the holiest among us.
No child should be denied admission based on gender identity. Further, Jewish schools should be welcoming, respectful, and affirming of the gender identities expressed by students. This means at least assuring safe and comfortable bathroom access, usage of preferred pronouns, and gender-affirming application of school dress codes.
The divine mandate to teach Torah comes with the holy responsibility to teach it properly – holding in our hearts that each child’s most pronounced identity is being created in the image of God.
- Rabbi Mike Moskowitz

It's not Friday...

But seriously, what does the whole first half have to do with the second half?  It seems like a huge disconnect. 

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 04:14:58 PM »
To Whom It May Concern,
- Rabbi Mike Moskowitz
At least you put this gibberish in JS and didn't pretend it was more than that.

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 04:21:30 PM »
To Whom It May Concern,
- Rabbi Mike Moskowitz
I have tears in my eyes.

Thank you!
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Cheesecake

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 04:21:30 PM »
To Whom It May Concern,
- Rabbi Mike Moskowitz
Can this be merged with the pot smoking thread?

Offline ShlockDoc

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 04:22:05 PM »
Is this a joke? Where was this published?

Offline JTZ

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 04:23:38 PM »
I have tears in my eyes.

Thank you!
You want to share a tissue?  :'(
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline Cheesecake

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 04:25:32 PM »
At least you put this gibberish in JS and didn't pretend it was more than that.
It doesn't belong in JS, it belongs in BS.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 04:26:08 PM »
I have tears in my eyes.

Thank you!
Who let the dogs out?
I thought you were fighting for species identity rights these days?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dr Moose

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 04:26:23 PM »
Someone reach out to him to see if he actually wrote this.

http://ouc.columbia.edu/religious-life-advisers/
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline craziness

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 04:31:45 PM »
Is this a joke? Where was this published?

It's real. It was posted on Facebook

Someone reach out to him to see if he actually wrote this.

http://ouc.columbia.edu/religious-life-advisers/

He did in fact write it.

I obviously have a DDF account but I would like to not be associated with this under my real name.

Offline lubaby

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 04:33:11 PM »

He did in fact write it.

I obviously have a DDF account but I would like to not be associated with this under my real name.
Link to FB post? Or a screenshot at least..

Offline Freddie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 04:33:32 PM »

He did in fact write it.

Your DDF account is your real name? Who are you, Chaim Moscowitz?

Offline shmueli2007

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 04:33:47 PM »
Guys, Bottom line.
We Must respect one another. No Exceptions
Sammyboy - All Trump All the time.

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 04:34:46 PM »
Who let the dogs out?
I thought you were fighting for species identity rights these days?
I'm not going to pretend I wasn't offended by your post.

Where's the Chabad tolerance they all talk about?
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline craziness

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2016, 04:35:51 PM »
Your DDF account is your real name? Who are you, Chaim Moscowitz?

Not my real name, but people know who I am.

Offline craziness

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 04:37:39 PM »

Online username

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 04:48:34 PM »
I have tears in my eyes.

Thank you!
If your dog has fluid coming out of its eyes, you might assume that the animal is crying. However, it's important for pet owners to note that dogs cannot cry in the way that humans do. If a dog's eyes are discharging liquid, it is because something is wrong, not because the animal is overcome with emotion.

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 04:49:38 PM »
If your dog has fluid coming out of its eyes, you might assume that the animal is crying. However, it's important for pet owners to note that dogs cannot cry in the way that humans do. If a dog's eyes are discharging liquid, it is because something is wrong, not because the animal is overcome with emotion.
You bigot. You assume she's still a dog just because he once was one.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 04:49:57 PM »
Woof!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.