Author Topic: Shabbulb  (Read 37944 times)

Offline JTZ

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Shabbulb
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2016, 05:56:26 PM »
I thought he was in Poland.
AFAIK not until latter this month.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2016, 05:57:49 PM »
I heard somebody got ahold of the Death Switch and...
Ouch!
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2016, 05:59:01 PM »
LED is not eish and neither are florescents. 
In the letter for the shabbos lamp R S Miller gives a din of aish for a fluorescent bulb. There is apparently some spark involved. I did see some who gave a very broad definition of aish and therefore included LED since it gave off light. That is not the typical understanding.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2016, 06:36:14 PM »
In the letter for the shabbos lamp R S Miller gives a din of aish for a fluorescent bulb. There is apparently some spark involved. I did see some who gave a very broad definition of aish and therefore included LED since it gave off light. That is not the typical understanding.

FWIU The spark would be there in the beginning but not once the fluorescent is lit.
Visibly Jewish

Offline eliraps

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2016, 11:16:00 PM »
The shabbulb seems to have much better option for varying levels of brightness

Offline Cheesecake

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2016, 10:25:11 AM »

[url]http://www.vosizneias.com/250658/2016/09/27/new-york-rabbonim-back-bright-idea-the-shabbos-light-bulb/[/u

"The owner of a Brooklyn bulb company is hoping to shed some new light on an ages old problem with a rabbinically approved bulb that can be switched from full light to darkness without any halachic violations.

Morty Kohn, the owner the Redhook based Sunlite which stocks approximately 9,000 different bulbs and lighting fixtures, said that the idea for the Shabbulb had been brewing in his head for many years. As LED lighting began gaining in popularity, he saw the opening he had been looking for.

“Because LED bulbs rely on a chemical reaction, it isn’t really considered to be aish, so I knew from a technology standpoint it would be much easier,” Kohn told VIN News. “You could never do this with a regular bulb.”

It took Kohn, a 55 year old Borough Park resident, two years to bring his vision to life.
 The resulting Shabbulb is comprised of two distinct parts:  a base containing the LED components that screws into a standard light fixture, and a removable cover whose horizontal shade controlled by an outside lever.

Sliding the lever in one direction opens the shade, allowing the light to shine through the top of the bulb, while moving it the opposite way closes the shade, keeping the light confined to the base of the bulb.  Leaving the level in the middle position gives the Shabbulb the ability to work as a dimmer.

Separating the bulb into two distinctly separate components was an extra level of stringency incorporated into the Shabbulb design to make it acceptable to an even wider audience within the Jewish community.

The seven watt Shabbulb bears the rabbinical endorsement of Rabbi Usher Eckstein of Vaad Hakashrus Machzikei Hadas and the Orthodox Union and has also the approval of Rabbi Asher Zelig Weiss, Rabbi Yisroel Duvid Harfenes and Rabbi Mechel Steinmetz, the Skverer Dayan"

WHERE ARE WE HEADING WITH THIS ??

YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS....

This seems to be more mainstream than the Kosherswitch. Let's see if other poskim weigh in on this.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2016, 10:31:44 AM »
This seems to be more mainstream than the Kosherswitch.
The concept is the same.

Offline coralsnake

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2016, 10:33:18 AM »
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline Cheesecake

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2016, 10:37:24 AM »
The concept is the same.
No, it isn't, on a couple of levels. This is more like the Kosher Lamp, which is mainstream.

I think you are referring to finding a loophole for Shabbos observance, but there have always been loopholes for various halachos (Jewish laws) and it's up to the rabbinical authorities to determine when a line has been crossed. The Kosherswitch is worse in terms of line-crossing.

From a technical halachic perspective, this is completely different than the Kosherswitch.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2016, 10:54:55 AM »
I think you are referring to finding a loophole for Shabbos observance, but there have always been loopholes for various halachos (Jewish laws) and it's up to the rabbinical authorities to determine when a line has been crossed. The Kosherswitch is worse in terms of line-crossing.
Bingo!

Offline JoeyShmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2016, 11:40:14 AM »
Bingo!
Finding ways to cover a light without putting yourself in danger isn't a loophole, it's perfectly ok for a few reasons, 1) There's nothing inherently wrong with covering a light, 2) You're not doing anything to the actual light, the bulb is still on. Finding a way to use something that looks and seemingly acts like an actual switch is a loophole, 1) There's something inherently wrong with doing an act that is weekday like, 2) Your action will eventually turn the bulb off.

Please note: I'm not a halachic authority in any shape, way or form, and I didn't study any of those items (or Hilchos Shabbos  - Shabbos Laws - for that matter). I'm just commenting on the loophole part and attempting to differentiate between why one is and one isn't.
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline Cheesecake

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2016, 12:25:45 PM »
Finding ways to cover a light without putting yourself in danger isn't a loophole, it's perfectly ok for a few reasons, 1) There's nothing inherently wrong with covering a light, 2) You're not doing anything to the actual light, the bulb is still on. Finding a way to use something that looks and seemingly acts like an actual switch is a loophole, 1) There's something inherently wrong with doing an act that is weekday like, 2) Your action will eventually turn the bulb off.

Please note: I'm not a halachic authority in any shape, way or form, and I didn't study any of those items (or Hilchos Shabbos  - Shabbos Laws - for that matter). I'm just commenting on the loophole part and attempting to differentiate between why one is and one isn't.
They are both loopholes, but you've described why one is acceptable and one isn't.

Look, having a light on in your closet and opening and closing the closet door is also a loophole, albeit a perfectly  acceptable one.

The issue here is that JTZ understands Shabbos as a series of restrictions and limitations, without understanding the concept of "melachah".

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2016, 12:31:11 PM »
The issue here is that JTZ understands Shabbos as a series of restrictions and limitations, without using loopholes understanding the concept of "melachah".
FTFY

Offline Cheesecake

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2016, 12:35:16 PM »
FTFY
Is using a closet as a light for a bedroom a loophole? Is having hot food Shabbos morning a loophole? Is selected the peanuts from the raisins as opposed to the reverse a loophole?

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2016, 12:40:50 PM »
Is using a closet as a light for a bedroom a loophole? Is having hot food Shabbos morning a loophole? Is selected the peanuts from the raisins as opposed to the reverse a loophole?
Lets save this for tomorrow (Friday AKA PC day).  :)
You said it was a loophole. Using anything that you feel is a loophole IMHO is wrong. It is what I call using common sense or you can look at DS signature for how I really feel.  ;)

Offline Cheesecake

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2016, 12:46:32 PM »

You said it was a loophole. Using anything that you feel is a loophole IMHO is wrong.

The Rabbis themselves instituted loopholes, such as pruzbul, eruv (three types) and shinui gamur regarding losh.

I don't expect you to understand all of those terms, but neither should you expect to understand the intricacies of the halachic process. Which types of loopholes are acceptable and which are not is part of the halachic process.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2016, 12:56:15 PM »
Would this be an accurate definition of loophole?
-an ambiguity or inadequacy in the law or a set of rules.

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2016, 01:01:31 PM »
-an ambiguity or inadequacy in the law or a set of rules that allow for unintended consequences.

That's how I would define loophole
Eta notice my addition to your definition

Offline EE4504

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2016, 01:01:49 PM »
It is just the danger of the next generations not knowing the difference between this bulb and another bulb....

The shabbos lamp is very different - The kids know that we are not allowed to close or open a light on shabbos so we are just covering it.... but this shabbos bulb to the kids it looks like we are closing the bulb and they would not see a difference between another one giving them the impression that one is allowed to open or close lights on shabbos.

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2016, 01:03:26 PM »
-an ambiguity or inadequacy in the law or a set of rules.

Yes. At the heart of your issue with this is that it is being called a loophole for lack of a better term. "Workaround" is better, but it is actually more of a "work with."