Author Topic: Digital Camera  (Read 5705 times)

Offline yissie

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Digital Camera
« on: April 06, 2011, 01:42:13 PM »
Any recommendations on point and shoot digital camera models
KTH

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Digital Camera
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 05:29:12 PM »
Any recommendations on point and shoot digital camera models

Canon SD series are a good value. What's your budget?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 05:32:35 PM »
Canon SD series are a good value. What's your budget?
+1
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 12:22:37 PM »
Big fan of canons as well. Both my SLR and point and shoot are Canon, you just can't go wrong with them.
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 01:17:17 PM »
I have a Canon SD as well.
The one thing I really can't stand about it is that you need to take out the battery and put it in a separate charger, you can't just plug in the camera to charge it.

Offline yissie

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 02:11:06 PM »
Does anyone have the Digital Elph 100 HS model by Canon
KTH

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 02:36:58 PM »
The one thing I really can't stand about it is that you need to take out the battery and put it in a separate charger, you can't just plug in the camera to charge it.
Never bothered me.  Why can't you stand that?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 02:43:51 PM »
+1

I like it that it works like that. I can keep a spare battery on the charger at all times. If I'm in the middle of something and the battery dies, swap, but the old one on the charger and keep going, no down time to charge ever!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 02:48:42 PM »
+1

I like it that it works like that. I can keep a spare battery on the charger at all times. If I'm in the middle of something and the battery dies, swap, but the old one on the charger and keep going, no down time to charge ever!
+1
I do that with my Canon and I do the exact same thing on my Palm Centro with a separate battery charger.

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 03:42:58 PM »

+1, i have 2 batteries too, and when one dies, the other one has juice to continute shooting.

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 04:03:31 PM »
Yep. Sounds like more of a pro than a con.
Unlike say, something like the iPhone or a Macbook Air with an embedded battery that needs to be tethered to the wall everytime your battery dies. :/

Meanwhile, there's also the Canon Loyalty program you should consider if buying a camera. Canon's program is for those who have an older Canon that is broken or needs to be replaced, etc... they offer significant discounts to trade in an old camera for a new one.
I've heard of folks buying old and broken cameras from thrift shops for $1, and then getting a SICK deal on a refurb'ed Canon from the loyalty program.

Worth checking out. I could have gotten my SLR at about half price if I had known about it!

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 05:45:51 PM »
Yep. Sounds like more of a pro than a con.
Unlike say, something like the iPhone or a Macbook Air with an embedded battery that needs to be tethered to the wall everytime your battery dies. :/

Meanwhile, there's also the Canon Loyalty program you should consider if buying a camera. Canon's program is for those who have an older Canon that is broken or needs to be replaced, etc... they offer significant discounts to trade in an old camera for a new one.
I've heard of folks buying old and broken cameras from thrift shops for $1, and then getting a SICK deal on a refurb'ed Canon from the loyalty program.

Worth checking out. I could have gotten my SLR at about half price if I had known about it!
When doing a trade in, you only get a refurbished one?

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 05:46:09 PM »
Never bothered me.  Why can't you stand that?
Just a matter of preference,  I find it more convenient. -although I haven't tried with two batteries, I guess I'll have to get another and see if that works out any better.

With my phone I've never found a need for 2 batteries (especially with the battery life of the Centro) I have a charger at home, in my office and in my car. worst case scenario I'm stuck tethered to the outlet for a few minutes on a call.

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 10:33:38 AM »
Just a matter of preference,  I find it more convenient. -although I haven't tried with two batteries, I guess I'll have to get another and see if that works out any better.

With my phone I've never found a need for 2 batteries (especially with the battery life of the Centro) I have a charger at home, in my office and in my car. worst case scenario I'm stuck tethered to the outlet for a few minutes on a call.

My currently phone (LG Optimus) lasts for 30+ hours with casual use for me. I still have 3 batteries for it, just because I hate being tethered to ANYTHING for ANY amount of time. Every morning, I swap batteries before I go to work, put the old one on charge. I have a spare in my jacket in case I ever forget to. I think my phone's charger is packed away in a box somewhere, I never need it, use it, or even want to see it!

Nothing convenient about plugging in your entire device, when all you want is the battery. You'll never see a professional camera that charges in cam for that reason.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 10:38:33 AM »
My currently phone (LG Optimus) lasts for 30+ hours with casual use for me. I still have 3 batteries for it, just because I hate being tethered to ANYTHING for ANY amount of time. Every morning, I swap batteries before I go to work, put the old one on charge. I have a spare in my jacket in case I ever forget to. I think my phone's charger is packed away in a box somewhere, I never need it, use it, or even want to see it!

Nothing convenient about plugging in your entire device, when all you want is the battery. You'll never see a professional camera that charges in cam for that reason.
Lol, +1

I've got 3 Centro batteries I'm always rotating.  Especially when I'm traveling I need to have that and not worry about chargers.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 10:50:48 AM »
like I said, it's a matter of preference. For my usage pattern it makes no sense.

For me keeping track of extra batteries is a far bigger hassle then plugging in my phone, especially considering I'm usually sitting at a desk all day. It's not worth it for me to worry about extra batteries for that once a year when my phone might die on me at an inconvenient time. If I was more mobile and had my battery run out on me often it would be a whole different ball game.

Of course this applies to my cell phone, for my camera you're probably right, I need to try the 2nd battery route, I'll probably be converted.
I guess I was applying my phone mindset to my camera without really thinking it through...

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 05:09:19 PM »
Even your phone tho- you feel like you'd have to "keep track of" a battery??

I don't get that- do you feel like you have to "keep track" of its charger? Just keep a spare battery on the charger at all times. Then swap once a day. Is that really more work than PLUGGING IN your phone???!

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 05:32:44 PM »

where did u get an external charger from for the lg optimus. I cant seem to find it anywhere. Thanx

Offline yissie

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 05:59:26 PM »
ebay
KTH

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 01:35:26 AM »
You could go for the Leica as well, quite happy with happy with it (and 18x killer zoom), I can also add basic filter such as UV on it.

Whatever you buy, get a second battery, and a good pouch/bag + extended warranty.