Author Topic: DL chutzpa  (Read 3964 times)

Offline josh nyc

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
DL chutzpa
« on: April 07, 2011, 02:54:55 PM »
Wife and I traveled last week, and gate agent was super nasty and refused to allow us to board unless we checked our carryons (which were standard size, not overstuffed, carried on flights prob close to 100 times if not more). It was a 777-200 and we pleaded that there is no doubt the bags will fit and if not we will gladly check. That elicited eye-rolling and threats to not allow us to board at all. Bc we were forced to check both our bags at the gate (gate agent was really getting nasty - "if we dont check your bags NOW, we will close the cabin door and plane leaves without you) we had to beg boarding passengers for a shopping bag so we could carry on some basic items with us - gate agent was of no help when we asked for a bag of any sort and was practically laughing at us, enjoying the scene of watching people grabbing items out of their carryons and cramming things into a shopping bag on the jetway. Finally when we were done, as we are boarding wife requested to speak to supervisor and complained briefly to him. Supervisor then has audacity to tell me "i advise you to board right now! you are lucky you are calmer and more humble than your wife or I would throw you both off - honestly I was livid but realized that fighting at that point would do no good.
Wife and I both complained to DL. Wife was granted $100 fly voucher which she is okay with for the inconvenience. Then DL writes to me: "Our records show we responded to your wife on March 29, 2011 and it appears you may not have received a copy of the email...we apologize again for the inconvenience". I bought two tickets for the flight. We are two people. We were both inconvenienced and mistreated. What is this DL shtick that "we compensated your wife already"? Am I off base here? We were both mistreated by the jetway staff...I am going to call/write back of course but asking any strategic advice that anyone has before I enter round 2
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 03:04:30 PM by josh nyc »

Offline Cholentfresser

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: DL chutzpa
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 02:58:13 PM »
wow, what a story, you'd think a supervisor would be someone you can talk to... that's nasty of them.
In order to understand recursion, you first need to understand recursion.

Offline FlyFirst

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 03:50:03 PM »
Wow.. wow.. I NEVER fly Delta..

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 04:08:24 PM »
I advise you to NOT follow up with them, since there is a chance of you getting another voucher out of them, hence resulting into you flying with them yet again.
Take the plunge, rip your wife's voucher up and lose those "potential $100". Cut them off, away from your life.
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline Cholentfresser

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 04:10:07 PM »
I advise you to NOT follow up with them, since there is a chance of you getting another voucher out of them, hence resulting into you flying with them yet again.
Take the plunge, rip your wife's voucher up and lose those "potential $100". Cut them off, away from your life.
i hope you're kidding...cuz as bad as they might be but if flying for free or with a 100 dollar discount, i think it's worth it...

Offline FlyFirst

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 04:12:47 PM »
I agree with txtmax..

Offline Cholentfresser

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 04:26:26 PM »
I agree with txtmax..
well, if the OP also agrees to txtmax, then i'll take it:)

Offline FlyFirst

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 04:30:08 PM »
well, if the OP also agrees to txtmax, then i'll take it:)

If I'd agree with you, we'd both be wrong...     

So agree...

Offline elikay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 04:34:01 PM »
I understand the feeling and I also once had to fight with them to allow my tefillin etc.. on board. But without justifying their attitude they probably knew that there was no more carry-on space (sounds like you were from the last ones on).

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 04:45:02 PM »

Are u crazy??? You have a voucher u can pm it to me. I love delta, free first class upgrades, delta airlines is amazing, and they have the best route out there.

Offline josh nyc

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 05:04:05 PM »
While I dont particularly care for DL there are times, however rare it may be, that DL makes the most sense to fly. And I wouldnt turn down a free voucher bc free is free, even if it is DL. Besides - I already have a few existing reservations on DL - if you fly enough in the US, DL is unavoidable >:(

I understand the feeling and I also once had to fight with them to allow my tefillin etc.. on board. But without justifying their attitude they probably knew that there was no more carry-on space (sounds like you were from the last ones on).
Yes we were a little late getting on which is why likely why this happened. But we werent "last" - we boarded about 30min before they shut the cabin door. Furthermore the flight was not 100% full and there was enough room, but that isnt the crux of the argument. The argument is not that they made me check it. Its the manner in which it all went down

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 05:06:09 PM »
if you fly enough in the US, DL is unavoidable >:(
Somehow I manage to avoid them :)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
When ppl pull out their DL creds, I just point and laugh. It's not something to be proud of
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline Yosel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 05:22:45 PM »
Wife and I traveled last week, and gate agent was super nasty and refused to allow us to board unless we checked our carryons (which were standard size, not overstuffed, carried on flights prob close to 100 times if not more). It was a 777-200 and we pleaded that there is no doubt the bags will fit and if not we will gladly check. That elicited eye-rolling and threats to not allow us to board at all. Bc we were forced to check both our bags at the gate (gate agent was really getting nasty - "if we dont check your bags NOW, we will close the cabin door and plane leaves without you) we had to beg boarding passengers for a shopping bag so we could carry on some basic items with us - gate agent was of no help when we asked for a bag of any sort and was practically laughing at us, enjoying the scene of watching people grabbing items out of their carryons and cramming things into a shopping bag on the jetway. Finally when we were done, as we are boarding wife requested to speak to supervisor and complained briefly to him. Supervisor then has audacity to tell me "i advise you to board right now! you are lucky you are calmer and more humble than your wife or I would throw you both off - honestly I was livid but realized that fighting at that point would do no good.
Wife and I both complained to DL. Wife was granted $100 fly voucher which she is okay with for the inconvenience. Then DL writes to me: "Our records show we responded to your wife on March 29, 2011 and it appears you may not have received a copy of the email...we apologize again for the inconvenience". I bought two tickets for the flight. We are two people. We were both inconvenienced and mistreated. What is this DL shtick that "we compensated your wife already"? Am I off base here? We were both mistreated by the jetway staff...I am going to call/write back of course but asking any strategic advice that anyone has before I enter round 2
which airport????

Offline Cholentfresser

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 05:24:23 PM »
which airport????
i knew someone would actually quote that whole long OP...

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 06:52:50 PM »
If your claim is true, that the carry-ons were within the measurements allowed by the airline, you should take strong action and get real compensation for the incident. I hope you know what I mean by REAL.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 06:54:39 PM »
Are u crazy??? You have a voucher u can pm it to me. I love delta, free first class upgrades, delta airlines is amazing, and they have the best route out there.
Yes, they have a good trailer.. that's about it.

Offline josh nyc

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 08:41:50 PM »
I prefer to fly out of lga and when nec jfk/ewr. Buy to fly into lga (and the accompanying hassle free 20min ride home), I sacrifice...my main carriers are aa, dl, and jblue. Yes I could go to ewr but getting there in my experience is a pain, especially not having a car...but I know it "could" be avoided
i knew someone would actually quote that whole long OP...
+1  ;D

Offline josh nyc

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 10:21:35 AM »
looks like Ill need to fly DL again - they gave me a $100 voucher in addition to the $100 they gave the mrs. While having my luggage removed was a huge hassle and pain, I would prob take $100 every time to not bring on board any carry on bags...

Offline YOSEF

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 03:31:08 PM »
Unless you want to trade $200 DL for $200 AA Giftcards.
PM me if interested...