Author Topic: Shabbat and my United Flight  (Read 31354 times)

Offline joe1234

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
Re: Shabbat and my United Flight
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2016, 12:15:28 AM »
Huh?  There was a mistake.  It's not a clear Halachic issue, so deal with it and don't impose on others.  Same thing.
If you order a steak and you get fish, also a mistake do you deal with the fish and eat it or you make a fuss until you get your stake??
It makes a big difference who's at fault for the mistake...

Offline joe1234

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2016, 12:17:02 AM »
But the other passengers don't know....
Don't quite understand

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2016, 12:17:55 AM »
Huh?  There was a mistake.  It's not a clear Halachic issue, so deal with it and don't impose on others.  Same thing.
I am not going to argue halacha here. We can leave that for a different thread. However in that specific case I stated that I am willing to go off the plane if that was the alternative. I didn't raise my voice, act violently or anything of the sort, I simply stated that I insist on having the seating arrangement I was promised or would not sit down. IIRC we eventually ended sitting behind each other.

And unlike the situation in the OP, I didn't board the plane based on Halachically questionable assumptions. I boarded based on an understanding of a certain seating arrangement that was promised and supposedly verified. Had they told me at check-in that aisle seats across are not available, I would have opted for a different seating arrangement.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 12:21:59 AM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline jsk173

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2016, 12:19:55 AM »
If you order a steak and you get fish, also a mistake do you deal with the fish and eat it or you make a fuss until you get your stake??

Unless BA and/or El Al have different policies than U.S. carriers, seat assignments are a request/courtesy and not a right.

Offline YOSEF

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2016, 12:20:13 AM »
+1

He was told he'd get something. They didn't deliver. Who cares why he made a fuss? What if they were coming back from a business meeting/negotiations and were from different sides of the table, needed to work, and didn't want the other one reading off the laptop? Who cares? They arranged it.

If 3 hassids buy a row of 3 seats so they won't need to sit next to women, and then the airline changes things, is that also okay?

If you want to get into airline policy, that's a different discussion, but if you care about halacha vs optics...

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2016, 12:21:36 AM »
I am not going to argue halacha here. We can leave that for a different thread. However in that specific case I stated that I am willing to go off the plane if that was the alternative. I didn't raise my voice, act violently or anything of the sort, I simply stated that I insist on having the seating arrangement I was promised or would not sit down. IIRC we eventually ended sitting behind each other.

Did you have checked bags? If so, deplaning would have caused a delay, which qualifies as "imposing on others."

Offline Aaaron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2016, 12:21:57 AM »

Wow, I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.  When you don't get what you order and demand a change, it's only imposing on the chef, the guy who made the mistake.  Here it's imposing on un-involved third parties.  Capisce?

That's completely reasonable.  I misunderstood your post where you stated you were "(seemingly) obnoxious."  My apologies :)

Offline joe1234

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2016, 12:25:08 AM »
Wow, I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.  When you don't get what you order and demand a change, it's only imposing on the chef, the guy who made the mistake.  Here it's imposing on un-involved third parties.  Capisce?

That's completely reasonable.  I misunderstood your post where you stated you were "(seemingly) obnoxious."  My apologies :)
Doesn't matter whoever is at fault for the mistake is considered at fault for the imposing on 3rd party's...

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2016, 12:26:16 AM »
Accepted.

Though I think there's a lesson to be learned here about tolerance, open mindedness, and not rushing to judge others, even if they see things differently than we do, or follow a different shita.
-- Dan

Offline Aaaron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2016, 12:27:15 AM »
Accepted.

Though I think there's a lesson to be learned here about tolerance, open mindedness, and not rushing to judge others, even if they see things differently than we do, or follow a different shita.

Where's the fun in that?  ;)

Offline Yammer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2016, 12:27:28 AM »
Don't quite understand
To the majority of the other passengers it looks the same.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2016, 12:29:17 AM »
Where's the fun in that?  ;)
We leave the fun for DDF and DDF DOs. ;)

I was not offended one bit by what you or anyone else wrote, so we can always keep the fun alive.
-- Dan

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2016, 12:33:40 AM »
Neither intending nor taking offense? What kind of weird site is this?

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2016, 12:34:20 AM »

The thing is,  that I assume if there was a nred that you agreed with,  then you'd be ok with it.   But you don't see religious  needs as legitimate.  But they are.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2016, 12:38:46 AM »
Unless BA and/or El Al have different policies than U.S. carriers, seat assignments are a request/courtesy and not a right.
Actually if you read the contract of carriage, you might realize that you pay the airline for their option to take you where you want to go, they are not really obligated to do much, and you have very few rights.
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2016, 12:41:19 AM »
Neither intending nor taking offense? What kind of weird site is this?
Thick skin and dull forks.
-- Dan

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2016, 12:44:27 AM »
The thing is,  that I assume if there was a nred that you agreed with,  then you'd be ok with it.   But you don't see religious  needs as legitimate.  But they are.

I don't think that's a fair reading of his comment(s). Situations like this are a matter of balancing competing interests, not a matter of seeing religious needs/preferences as illegitimate.

Offline Joe4007

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2016, 01:05:24 AM »

Exactly. How would you feel if you booked a business class seat and upon boarding they realized they overlooked and you'd need to fly economy. Would you just take it and not even get off the plane because you'd cause a delay to others?

FTR, personally, I actually would just fly economy, but I'd totally understand someone that wouldn't.

Offline JTZ

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 01, 2016, 05:28:56 AM »
You had me until this part. Doesn't seem like an incident you wouldn't be sure about.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 01, 2016, 07:35:33 AM »
I don't think that's a fair reading of his comment(s). Situations like this are a matter of balancing competing interests, not a matter of seeing religious needs/preferences as illegitimate.

Except that if you see the religious need as illegitimate,  it will always lose.