Author Topic: Shabbat and my United Flight  (Read 30857 times)

Offline jsk173

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Shabbat and my United Flight
« Reply #180 on: November 02, 2016, 01:25:10 AM »

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #181 on: November 02, 2016, 01:27:30 AM »
Which questions?
So on top of everything you prove to be lazy. You won't bring actual quotes that you allege exist on FlyerTalk, and you won't even go back to reread this thread and see what question was addressed to you to which you didn't respond?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline shulem92

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 02, 2016, 01:27:59 AM »
I didn't agree to any such thing. There's no such thing as a "right" to sit next to anyone on a plane. Seat assignments are a courtesy, and that's it.
Courtesy of whom? Who gets to decide where you sit? The airline, correct? Now if the airline told @exGingi that he will be getting specific seats, why are the passengers who ended up with those seats better off? Because it says it on their boarding pass? But the airline promised him... So where does it get set in stone that your courtesy is over, and whatever seat you got, you got? The same way the airline changed on @exGingi, they can change on a random passenger

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 02, 2016, 01:36:22 AM »
So on top of everything you prove to be lazy. You won't bring actual quotes that you allege exist on FlyerTalk, and you won't even go back to reread this thread and see what question was addressed to you to which you didn't respond?

I'm not lazy at all. If you feel I overlooked a question, repeat it. "Read the thread again" is stupid.

As for FlyerTalk, the search function there is lousy, so you can do your own research. It's not exactly breaking news that gate agents and even flight attendants have been known to have people change seats, so it seems like you're arguing just for the hell of it.

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 02, 2016, 01:38:37 AM »
Courtesy of whom? Who gets to decide where you sit? The airline, correct? Now if the airline told @exGingi that he will be getting specific seats, why are the passengers who ended up with those seats better off? Because it says it on their boarding pass? But the airline promised him... So where does it get set in stone that your courtesy is over, and whatever seat you got, you got? The same way the airline changed on @exGingi, they can change on a random passenger

LOL.

"The airline" didn't tell this guy anything. Some gate agent might have said something, which was apparently not backed up by a seat assignment on the boarding pass(es).

Offline jsk173

• View Profile

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 02, 2016, 01:45:07 AM »
LOL.

"The airline" didn't tell this guy anything. Some gate agent might have said something, which was apparently not backed up by a seat assignment on the boarding pass(es).
Yet you claim the whole seat requesting is a courtesy. A courtesy to do what? To have your request put on to your boarding pass. Who is doing that? The airline itself?! No. Obviously "some gate agent" has the power to do that. Now if "some gate agent" who we just established represents the airline (in regard to having power over seat placement), promises you something, why can't you understand that?

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 02, 2016, 01:52:20 AM »
Yet you claim the whole seat requesting is a courtesy. A courtesy to do what? To have your request put on to your boarding pass. Who is doing that? The airline itself?! No. Obviously "some gate agent" has the power to do that. Now if "some gate agent" who we just established represents the airline (in regard to having power over seat placement), promises you something, why can't you understand that?

Now you're starting to sound hysterical.

The gate agent apparently thought he could accommodate the person's request but apparently made a mistake, since (1) the couple boarded and had an aisle-middle and (2) there were no other aisle-aisle options available. It clearly wasn't a "promise" in any real sense.

Unless you think any random passenger should always be subject to being booted, without notice, from their preferred/prearranged seat because someone went up to a gate agent (or called customer service) and claimed a "religious need," it's unclear what you're even arguing.

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
Shabbat and my United Flight
« Reply #188 on: November 02, 2016, 01:55:35 AM »
You've never had a confirmed seat switched?
Eta. Pre-boarding.

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 02, 2016, 01:58:31 AM »
You've never had a confirmed seat switched?
Eta. Pre-boarding.

Sure, usually because of an equipment change or some sort of upgrade. Not because some other passenger came up with an excuse for "needing" my seat and the airline said "sure, no problem."

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 02, 2016, 01:59:32 AM »
Sure, usually because of an equipment change or some sort of upgrade. Not because some other passenger came up with an excuse for "needing" my seat.
Never for a reason aside from equipment change or upgrade?

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 02, 2016, 02:00:39 AM »
Never for a reason aside from equipment change or upgrade?

As I said in my edit above, certainly not because some other passenger came up with an excuse for "needing" my seat and the gate agent or CSR said "sure."

And while I'm sure the occasional gate agent or CSR engages in such shenanigans, it's not airline policy, nor should it be.

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 02, 2016, 02:04:06 AM »
As I said in my edit above, certainly not because some other passenger came up with an excuse for "needing" my seat and the gate agent or CSR said "sure."

And while I'm sure the occasional gate agent or CSR engages in such shenanigans, it's not airline policy, nor should it be.
How often do you fly? As posted earlier airline policy is very vague about all this

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 02, 2016, 02:05:44 AM »
How often do you fly? As posted earlier airline policy is very vague about all this

All the time. And no, airline policy isn't vague at all. Airlines don't guarantee seat assignments, but they certainly don't invite passengers to bump other passengers from their seats.

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 02, 2016, 02:08:07 AM »

Now you're starting to sound hysterical.
Unless you think any random passenger should always be subject to being booted, without notice, from their preferred/prearranged seat because someone went up to a gate agent (or called customer service) and claimed a "religious need," it's unclear what you're even arguing.
He only got on the plane because they told him that. He clearly said that he wouldn't have flown had they not switched it. Therefore I don't see why that is considered wrong to insist on it. "Hold up the whole plane while they deplane"? Yes. Because the he only got on the plane based on what the gate agent told him. Once again you're sounding like you're nervous that people can take advantage and claim religious needs. Right now we are discussing a theoretical issue, and a story that happened. Once he was on the plane, why ant he insist on it.

I'm not arguing for a random person to decide that they don't want to sit next to the opposite gender, because over there you know that there is a 50% chance of it happening. But if the passenger went over to the gate agent before the flight, and said that the only way he is flying is if he sits next to a person of the same gender, and the gate agent confirms it (be creative and don't over think it, its hypothetical), why shouldn't it be in his rights to demand that?

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 02, 2016, 02:11:15 AM »
I'm not arguing for a random person to decide that they don't want to sit next to the opposite gender, because over there you know that there is a 50% chance of it happening. But if the passenger went over to the gate agent before the flight, and said that the only way he is flying is if he sits next to a person of the same gender, and the gate agent confirms it (be creative and don't over think it, its hypothetical), why shouldn't it be in his rights to demand that?

If the gate agent accommodates the person without moving anyone else, fine. But if someone else needs to get moved, this guy should be out of luck.

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 02, 2016, 02:12:01 AM »
If the gate agent accommodates the person without moving anyone else, fine. But if someone else needs to get moved, this guy should be out of luck.
What?? I thought gate agents have no power?

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 02, 2016, 02:12:50 AM »
What?? I thought gate agents have no power?

Who said that? Hard to tell if you're hysterical or trolling.

Gate agents obviously have the power to change a person from their current seat into some other available seat.

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 02, 2016, 02:13:14 AM »
And you missed the point. The guy said he's only getting on the plane if...
Gate agent promised him...
Is it his fault to say that he wants to get off, when... Doesn't happen?

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 02, 2016, 02:15:19 AM »
And you missed the point. The guy said he's only getting on the plane if...
Gate agent promised him...
Is it his fault to say that he wants to get off, when... Doesn't happen?

If this guy checked bags and didn't already have his preferred seat assignments, then yes, this guy is already a jerk simply for making the threat, since he knows the plane's departure would be delayed if he follows through on the threat not to board and/or to deplane.

If the guy didn't check bags, then deplaning isn't a big deal at all.