Topic Wiki

Get involved!

Stay Informed:
http://www.takebacklakewood.com
https://twitter.com/TakebackLKWD
Send a text to 40404 saying: " Follow @takebackLKWD " to get text updates.
Send an email to takebacklakewood@gmail.com saying " Subscribe " to get added to our email list for updates.

Attend:
Show up to Township Commitee, Planning, and Zoning board meetings. Speak up to stop the high density building!
All meetings are at the Township Building at 231 3rd Street. More info here.

Donate:
Take Back Lakewood is a grassroots campaign that has thrived despite little funding. With proper funding the campaign can reach far more people, hire a lawyer, and continue to force Lakewood Township to serve it's residents. Every dollar counts!
Donate Here

Other Links:
First Amendment Activist - Videos of meetings and a variety of township info related to meetings, applications, and township officials.
Lakewood Link - Lakewood News
Beware of Fake News

objective

« Last edited by yesitsme on August 23, 2018, 02:21:17 PM »

Author Topic: Take Back Lakewood  (Read 259810 times)

Offline MidwestJoe

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Take Back Lakewood
« Reply #1185 on: March 03, 2017, 01:26:16 PM »
It seems to be a fairly recent ordinance.

Fairly recent, and it was repealed last night, a non issue. It also only applied to people digging up the street, which is not neccessary when adding on to a house, or even knocking down an existing house and putting up a new one.

It would only be necessary when switching from oil to gas, switching from septic to public sewer, or building houses where none previously existed.

Offline flyingace

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: March 03, 2017, 01:27:19 PM »
Why would you need to dig up the street for an addition?
I don't. They want me to repave regardless. I do not have details regarding the ordinance. My builder has been dealing with the engineering dept.

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: March 03, 2017, 01:28:32 PM »
Fairly recent, and it was repealed last night, a non issue. It also only applied to people digging up the street, which is not neccessary when adding on to a house, or even knocking down an existing house and putting up a new one.

It would only be necessary when switching from oil to gas, switching from septic to public sewer, or building houses where none previously existed.
Glad to hear it! Hoping for good news from the builder, then!

Offline cholent

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: March 03, 2017, 01:29:05 PM »

Can I ask, you present yourself as knowledgeable about these issues, what's your position that makes you so knowledgeable?
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline MidwestJoe

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: March 03, 2017, 01:29:58 PM »
+1
Some of the worst spot zoning has been for such cases where they changed the entire character of the neighborhood

Look at what happened on the corner of Route 9 and James. Owner occupied small houses all turned into duplexes, along one of the most congested areas in town.

Offline MidwestJoe

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: March 03, 2017, 01:31:27 PM »
Can I ask, you present yourself as knowledgeable about these issues, what's your position that makes you so knowledgeable?

My position is as an interested taxpayer.

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: March 03, 2017, 01:33:09 PM »
Look at what happened on the corner of Route 9 and James. Owner occupied small houses all turned into duplexes, along one of the most congested areas in town.
There should be some balance and reason on both sides. If they can spot zone for developers to make millions, why shouldn't some neighbors be able to work together to afford better housing for all of them? Which is what I hear happened. The congestion and density is already there, so why should the small guys lose out?

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: March 03, 2017, 01:42:48 PM »
There should be some balance and reason on both sides. If they can spot zone for developers to make millions, why shouldn't some neighbors be able to work together to afford better housing for all of them? Which is what I hear happened. The congestion and density is already there, so why should the small guys lose out?
Spot zoning is illegal and should never be done, just because we have a bad situation doesn't mean we should make it worse.
There's nothing we can do about the past but we can try to stabilize the situation for the future
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline MidwestJoe

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: March 03, 2017, 01:48:25 PM »

Because if they do, every single house in Lakewood will be knocked down and turned into a duplex. Congestion is horrible, that is not an excuse to make it worse. An equally massive problem to congestion, is taxes. Residential homes on average, particularly ones with rented basements, are money losers for the township (more specifically, the school district). Every home being built, or basement added costs existing taxpayers money.

Now homes are being built with 2 rentals in the basement. The increase in taxes is making it un-affordable for a person that just wants a single family, private home with no renters. All houses with basements rentals, should be taxed at a higher rate then true single family homes, in order to cover their expenses.

Another, lesser publicized problem is that there is no room in the shuls for all the duplex conversions with basements. There are 4 shuls on my block, all of them are packed. People in the neighborhood build shuls, then others (and not necessarily the ones who paid for the shul to be built) throw up duplexes and have multiple basement tenants. In the short term, this causes overcrowding in the shuls, in the long term, possibly more shuls will be built, taking even more ratables of the tax role and increasing the tax burden even further.

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: March 03, 2017, 01:58:41 PM »
I do not disagree with all of the above. Again, just pointing out the ineqities and arbitrariness of how this all plays out.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1195 on: March 03, 2017, 02:25:05 PM »
I do not disagree with all of the above. Again, just pointing out the ineqities and arbitrariness of how this all plays out.
So you are arguing that they should eforce the builders more? I think everyone agrees with that one.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: March 03, 2017, 02:37:42 PM »
They should enforce the developers as well as the single homeowners. And there needs to be some predictable, consistent and legal process for the passing, enforcing and "variancing" of the rules for everyone.

It seems to me that whoever complains loudest gets some relief; why was this ordinance passed without due diligence? Then they wouldn't have had to repeal it. Who makes these rules and how and why? Do they know anything about building? Or are they just reacting to the pressures of whoever? 

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: March 03, 2017, 02:41:44 PM »
They should enforce the developers as well as the single homeowners. And there needs to be some predictable, consistent and legal process for the passing, enforcing and "variancing" of the rules for everyone.

It seems to me that whoever complains loudest gets some relief; why was this ordinance passed without due diligence? Then they wouldn't have had to repeal it. Who makes these rules and how and why? Do they know anything about building? Or are they just reacting to the pressures of whoever?
I'm glad to see you are really understanding the crux of the issue, it's all a game. Everyone is working to help themselves, friends, those who will help them financially, or those who will help them win votes. All good ordinances are passed just to try to win the next election.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline takebacklakewood

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Send a text to 40404 saying: Follow @takebackLKWD to get important text updates.

Offline aro123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: March 04, 2017, 09:42:19 PM »
Who required notice for the shopping village change? Can you find someone else who is eligible to sue?