Topic Wiki

Get involved!

Stay Informed:
http://www.takebacklakewood.com
https://twitter.com/TakebackLKWD
Send a text to 40404 saying: " Follow @takebackLKWD " to get text updates.
Send an email to takebacklakewood@gmail.com saying " Subscribe " to get added to our email list for updates.

Attend:
Show up to Township Commitee, Planning, and Zoning board meetings. Speak up to stop the high density building!
All meetings are at the Township Building at 231 3rd Street. More info here.

Donate:
Take Back Lakewood is a grassroots campaign that has thrived despite little funding. With proper funding the campaign can reach far more people, hire a lawyer, and continue to force Lakewood Township to serve it's residents. Every dollar counts!
Donate Here

Other Links:
First Amendment Activist - Videos of meetings and a variety of township info related to meetings, applications, and township officials.
Lakewood Link - Lakewood News
Beware of Fake News

objective

« Last edited by yesitsme on August 23, 2018, 02:21:17 PM »

Author Topic: Take Back Lakewood  (Read 258523 times)

Offline MidwestJoe

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Take Back Lakewood
« Reply #2220 on: June 27, 2017, 05:08:38 PM »
I have a feeling Lakewood Property Values are about to crash

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: June 27, 2017, 05:11:07 PM »
I have a feeling Lakewood Property Values are about to crash
Just a random feeling?
tfs

Offline jye

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile

Offline yoohoo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: June 27, 2017, 06:36:17 PM »
Quote from NJ.com:

"The second wave is planned for as early as dawn Wednesday when authorities are scheduled to move in on three other couples, according to law enforcement sources. After that, warrants will be served to an unknown number of others by Friday and the investigation is continuing. And growing."

Offline sillypainter

• View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: June 27, 2017, 07:02:59 PM »
Quote from NJ.com:

"The second wave is planned for as early as dawn Wednesday when authorities are scheduled to move in on three other couples, according to law enforcement sources. After that, warrants will be served to an unknown number of others by Friday and the investigation is continuing. And growing."

And you really think the FBI consults with Nj.com when to come?

Offline MidwestJoe

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: June 27, 2017, 07:06:16 PM »

Obviously the writer has a source in law enforcement.

Offline jye

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: June 27, 2017, 07:08:28 PM »
The whole thing leaves me with a sick feeling. There is no excuse for behavior that can lead to Chilul Hashem (though I'm sure much of it was out of desperation) and this is something that should not have been a surprise-many should have seen the handwriting on the wall long ago. However I do think that there is another component here. Not one that excuses bad behavior but nevertheless a factor in the hyper focus on the Jewish community. I'm sure it would come as no surprise to the law enforcement community that there are other ethnicities and minorities that are non Jewish that receive plenty of public benefits while engaged in illegal enterprises, selling drugs and weapons for cash and the like. As far as I know retailers don't sell $200 Air Jordan's for food stamps. But those groups public assistance is untouchable because there is a perception of poverty and it wouldn't make a compelling story and would raise a hue and cry from minority advocates.

Meanwhile, there's a perception that the Jews are all rolling in money ( unfortunately partially due to many of us ignoring the admonition of chazal "Lama  Tisro'u) so it's more palatable politically to go after them than other groups. The $450000 homes feed in to this narrative despite the fact that many living in such homes have large families and are truly struggling. I think it's outrageous that law enforcement is trying to paint a picture of an entire community that is rolling in it and padding their pockets with cash from programs when it's is a very very small minority who are really well off and taking programs.. Does not justify people abusing programs whatsoever even those who are struggling, but to think that stereotypes about frum Jews are not playing a role here is implausible.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 07:21:11 PM by jye »

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: June 27, 2017, 07:20:55 PM »
The whole thing leaves me with a sick feeling. There is no excuse for behavior that can lead to Chilul Hashem (though I'm sure much of it was out of desperation) and this is something that should not have been a surprise-many should have seen the handwriting on the wall long ago. However I do think that there is another component here. Not one that excuses bad behavior but nevertheless a factor in the hyper focus on the Jewish community. I'm sure it would come as no surprise to the law enforcement community that there are other ethnicities and minorities that are non Jewish that receive plenty of public benefits while engaged in illegal enterprises, selling drugs and weapons for cash and the like. As far as I know retailers don't sell $200 Air Jordan's for food stamps. But those groups public assistance is untouchable because there is a perception of poverty and it wouldn't make a compelling story and would raise a hue and cry from minority advocates.

Meanwhile, there's a perception that the Jews are all rolling in money ( unfortunately partially due to many of us ignoring the admonition of chazal "Lama  Tisro'u) so it's more palatable politically to go after them than other groups. The $450000 homes feed in to this narrative despite the fact that many living in such homes have large families and are truly struggling. Does not justify people abusing programs whatsoever but to think that stereotypes about frum Jews are not playing a role here is implausible.

I don't know if there is more of focus on frum yidden, but here is a press release from my area were they are prosecuting non-jews for much less severe cases of benefits fraud.

http://ulstercountyny.gov/news/executive-press-releases/county-executive-mike-hein-announces-two-welfare-fraud-arrests-2

Offline jye

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: June 27, 2017, 07:24:55 PM »
On an individual basis yes. But they are not targeting a specific community...

Offline gogreen

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: June 27, 2017, 07:31:11 PM »
Probably should move this conversation to http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=61462.400 before this thread gets totally off-topic

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: June 27, 2017, 07:31:27 PM »
The whole thing leaves me with a sick feeling. There is no excuse for behavior that can lead to Chilul Hashem (though I'm sure much of it was out of desperation) and this is something that should not have been a surprise-many should have seen the handwriting on the wall long ago.

How is it out of desperation when these people are making the kind of money claimed?  And the amount they accepted in benefits wasn't even that much.  It's much more of an entitlement mentality than desperation.

Offline yoohoo

• View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: June 27, 2017, 07:58:52 PM »
do you not know how news works?

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: June 27, 2017, 08:35:47 PM »

How is it out of desperation when these people are making the kind of money claimed?  And the amount they accepted in benefits wasn't even that much.  It's much more of an entitlement mentality than desperation.
I absolutely agree with you however FWIU not all of them are making that kind of money and it seems they got caught in the middle.

I still believe  (and I hope I'm right) that they're not going after people who made an extra 10-20k annually, they're going after those who made an extra 10-20k+ monthly.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2233 on: June 27, 2017, 08:47:17 PM »
I absolutely agree with you however FWIU not all of them are making that kind of money and it seems they got caught in the middle.

I still believe  (and I hope I'm right) that they're not going after people who made an extra 10-20k annually, they're going after those who made an extra 10-20k+ monthly.
or if they hope to make them a witness
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Offline jye

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: June 27, 2017, 08:50:22 PM »

Was not referring to these people. Was referring to the insinuation that these people are representative of an entire community.
" it's outrageous that law enforcement is trying to paint a picture of an entire community that is rolling in it and padding their pockets with cash from programs when it's is a very very small minority who are really well off and taking programs"