Topic Wiki

Get involved!

Stay Informed:
http://www.takebacklakewood.com
https://twitter.com/TakebackLKWD
Send a text to 40404 saying: " Follow @takebackLKWD " to get text updates.
Send an email to takebacklakewood@gmail.com saying " Subscribe " to get added to our email list for updates.

Attend:
Show up to Township Commitee, Planning, and Zoning board meetings. Speak up to stop the high density building!
All meetings are at the Township Building at 231 3rd Street. More info here.

Donate:
Take Back Lakewood is a grassroots campaign that has thrived despite little funding. With proper funding the campaign can reach far more people, hire a lawyer, and continue to force Lakewood Township to serve it's residents. Every dollar counts!
Donate Here

Other Links:
First Amendment Activist - Videos of meetings and a variety of township info related to meetings, applications, and township officials.
Lakewood Link - Lakewood News
Beware of Fake News

objective

« Last edited by yesitsme on August 23, 2018, 02:21:17 PM »

Author Topic: Take Back Lakewood  (Read 232672 times)

Offline Dave321

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Take Back Lakewood
« Reply #2640 on: March 12, 2019, 11:22:48 AM »
at least we can all agree- they will never widen rt 9. and you watch, cross st is next. they have the chance to do it now. in 5+ years there will be houses right up to the roadway.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2641 on: March 12, 2019, 11:22:52 AM »
I drive it every day - traffic south does not really ease up at Central - it goes all the way down to Prospect a and starting to get worse all the way to cross.. northbound I agree is Central But not 88..
It doesn't disappear but every time I have been forced to go that way I have found that it gets much better once you pass that intersection. Maybe at the peak of the peak it is worse.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Offline dealfinder11

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: March 12, 2019, 03:50:13 PM »
How about dualizing Clifton and eliminating on street parking? That would alleviate much of the Cedarbridge/Clifton backup in both directions, and pull more traffic off of the 9 making everything much more efficient. As for the shopkeepers, there is already municipal parking in the back. What you need to do is to weigh the need for additional parking for the shops on Clifton (which is far from the center of Lakewood) shopping at this point vs the needs of the entire (can we just call it A city already?) of Lakewood who is effected by the glut

Offline knowitall

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: March 12, 2019, 04:43:42 PM »
There are so many “minor” improvements that can be made by pouring just a few feet of cement. There are many places in lakewood where one left-turning car can hold up 20 cars going straight and there’s plenty of empty grass right there.. Also many developments like forest park and the woods have only one lane coming out, so right turners have to wait for left turners. It would seem very simple to fix that, but the city prefers to blame all the traffic on the state and county.

Offline Fish Tank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: March 12, 2019, 08:19:19 PM »
It will fail because there are zealots like yourself that have to criticize a good cause over some silly semantics game.
Are you so naive to not realize that they are 2 sides to the same coin? TBL has always been mentioning both issues, they literally go hand in hand.

Reality:
Lakewood is overdeveloped.
Lakewood does not have sufficient infrastructure. Not talking 10 years from now. it's been like that a while.

We have corrupt officials that have promised and may continue to promise better infrastructure, and therefore we must develop and rezone as much as possible. The infrastructure never materializes but the rezoning always does. Promises hold no legal weight, but a rezoning does.

So 2 options for people that are getting inconvenienced and hurt. Either a) say everything is fine with this terrible infrastructure, because we have officials that promised to widen Rt. 9 and Lakewood will have bridges over the lake. We can't oppose a specific rezoning plan because we don't sound positive enough, and we're ignoring all the incoming infrastructure. Or b) we can get out of fantasy land and let the township know that we will not tolerate more building without them first up keeping and increasing the infrastructure, which they have never shown an interest in doing. The right path is obvious.

You can answer all you want, so far I've read from some of you a bunch of semantical childish arguments. If you don't care about others that's fine. Don't beat the drum so proudly.
+100

Offline Fish Tank

• View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: March 12, 2019, 08:23:46 PM »
The way you are trying to fix these issues is the same way people have been trying for the last 20 years. It has accomplished nothing and has only failed. If that is what you want to keep doing go ahead. If you want to accomplish something then realize that how you go about it matters.
FAA and TBL accomplished more in the last 2 years than anyone (including HH etc.) has accomplished in the last 10 years. If you argue with that, you are either ignorant, or just plain naďve.

It is more apparent on the developer/politician side, because they were massively effected. The residents "gained" tremendously, but not in  a way that the average person would notice.

Offline Fish Tank

• View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: March 12, 2019, 08:26:55 PM »
To play devils advocate, if someone wanted to build a city anywhere in the US should the answer be no, it’s corrupt to build a city, we are zoned for 3 acre lots. Maybe there is a place for a dense city being built....
No. As others already said, first create the infrastructure, and then build what ever it can handle.

Move to Western Jackson/ South Toms River? You will be a lot happier, rather than spending so much time and frustration on what will ultimately be a losing battle. The train has already left the station.
It's a matter of time until the same thing happens there. Jackson has plenty of open land.

Even if you're right - why should a long time lakewooder pickup and move just because his local politicians "squeezed" him out of his current town? Maybe stop the corruption instead. Ever thought of that?

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 263
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #2647 on: March 12, 2019, 08:29:34 PM »
Didn't have a chance to read through all 177 pages, but who's there to talk to in regards to the roads.
 The roads are truly horrendous, much to be desired.
Each street worse than the next, you'd be lucky going through a week without needing the shop for your car.

Is there any board or something similar to 311 to file your complaints?
Don't try to be someone else , be who you are because everyone else is taken.

Offline Eliyohu

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: March 12, 2019, 08:40:39 PM »
A bunch of these ideas have been brought up already..
Connect MLK to the 88
Connect James/powderhorn to prospect
Bridge sunset to forest
Traffic light prospect & cross
Left turning lane cross onto James
Light Williams and James
Realign James and Pine
Rt 9 South make 2 lanes (at least until Central where the right lane is turn only)

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: March 12, 2019, 08:59:49 PM »
No. As others already said, first create the infrastructure, and then build what ever it can handle.
It's a matter of time until the same thing happens there. Jackson has plenty of open land.

Even if you're right - why should a long time lakewooder pickup and move just because his local politicians "squeezed" him out of his current town? Maybe stop the corruption instead. Ever thought of that?

You’re 100% right. They shouldn’t have to. But I’ve seen too many people who thought like that, fought to keep things the way they were, and found themselves left behind in a neighborhood that had changed around them. Is it worth being right,  but living an increasingly bitter existence for the next 15 years? Because that is inevitably what will happen.

Offline Fish Tank

• View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: March 12, 2019, 09:01:49 PM »
I'm looking at the desktop version of google maps which shows typical traffic during any day and hour (I never knew of this feature).

I've seen people mentioning pine/james street here a lot so I'll start there. What are some ideas that you will think would help the traffic?

I'm thinking number one they should not allow any left turns there during 8-10 and 2-5. I don't think adding turning lights would be a good idea.
If you want to make a left then you will have to make 3 rights.

Then they should make turning lights on pine/james and extend the turning lanes a lot (using the shoulder if necessary).

Also why does the traffic start building up by 9 and central/hurley? Is it turning cars?

Anybody know of any free traffic simulation software?
Go to thelakewoodscoop.com, and search for "ask the mayor" . You'll see dozens and dozens of great solutions proposed by Lakewood residents. Most of them are simple fixes which require something as small as a turning arrow.

As an FYI, almost nothing proposed in the ask the mayor column ever materializes. They mayor either says "I'll notify the dept. that handles this area", or he says "it's a county/state road so my hands are tied".

I understand his point, and it's valid, but his job as an elected official is to contact the county, hound them until they give him a meeting, and then hound them until the work gets done. That's precisely his job, and why he was elected.

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: March 12, 2019, 09:05:50 PM »
Go to thelakewoodscoop.com, and search for "ask the mayor" . You'll see dozens and dozens of great solutions proposed by Lakewood residents. Most of them are simple fixes which require something as small as a turning arrow.

As an FYI, almost nothing proposed in the ask the mayor column ever materializes. They mayor either says "I'll notify the dept. that handles this area", or he says "it's a county/state road so my hands are tied".

I understand his point, and it's valid, but his job as an elected official is to contact the county, hound them until they give him a meeting, and then hound them until the work gets done. That's precisely his job, and why he was elected.
You missed the boat, the ask the mayor column was never intended to actually do anything useful, it's just part of his reelection campaign.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Fish Tank

• View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: March 12, 2019, 09:21:36 PM »
You missed the boat, the ask the mayor column was never intended to actually do anything useful, it's just part of his reelection campaign.
I didn't miss any boats. I was pointing it out to those that think it's the greatest thing that ever happened.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: March 12, 2019, 09:41:26 PM »
FAA and TBL accomplished more in the last 2 years than anyone (including HH etc.) has accomplished in the last 10 years. If you argue with that, you are either ignorant, or just plain naďve.

It is more apparent on the developer/politician side, because they were massively effected. The residents "gained" tremendously, but not in  a way that the average person would notice.
IMO, he went way too far. There is a difference between combating corruption and offering up the worst of Lakewood's grime on a silver platter on a website for any detractor to use against the community as a whole. Yes, some stuff may have been available anyways through OPRAs, but some were solely his doing.

Offline Fish Tank

• View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: March 12, 2019, 09:48:13 PM »
IMO, he went way too far. There is a difference between combating corruption and offering up the worst of Lakewood's grime on a silver platter on a website for any detractor to use against the community as a whole. Yes, some stuff may have been available anyways through OPRAs, but some were solely his doing.
I didn't say they are right (or wrong). I said you need to be living under a rock to think they didn't accomplish anything.

BTW, do you have a better method for them to get the job done? Exposing them publicly seems to be what works best.