Author Topic: "You can go to heaven if you want. I’d rather stay in Bermuda." - Mark Twain  (Read 15220 times)

Offline mgoldhammer18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: American Airlines, Citi thank you, British Avios, Hilton, SPG, AMEX Platinum, Jetblue
Never been to the rooftop lounge by terminal 5 all the times I've been there, always went to the airspace lounge.  I'll look out for it next time

Offline mgoldhammer18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: American Airlines, Citi thank you, British Avios, Hilton, SPG, AMEX Platinum, Jetblue
Accommodations

I believe one of the reasons that Bermuda isn't that popular on DDF is due to the fact that there is only one points properties on the island. Being that I generally prefer a private vacation rental to a hotel anyhow, that didn't prove to be an issue for me. After perusing hundreds of properties, i narrowed down my search to the specifications i wanted, in no particular order:
<$200/night
view
separate sleeping and living areas
fresh and clean
wifi
kitchen
nice bathroom
private

bonus points for
pool
two tvs
smart tv
jacuzzi
proximity to beach

I got all of my needs and some wants, though I only searched on VRBO.com and airbnb.com since I've had good experiences with both. I ended up being torn between several properties, and several days prior i just booked one of them since I was driving myself and DW absolutely nuts with my indecision.
I ended up booking nearescape.com through his airbnb listing. He is listed on vrbo as well but airbnb came to about $150 less for some reason.
The pictures on the site are completely accurate save for different linen. The view is truly something out of this world. The house is completely fresh and new with very modern components imported from the US. It is a guest house attached to the main house, but as the host is a single guy who works 8-8, we didn't see much of him or his dog, save for on the weekend. The pool was for our exclusive use.
If you do rent this place, just bear in mind that there is no tv or ac in the master bedroom, only a fan. That being said, I'd be hard pressed to find something negative about this place. Simply amazing and peaceful.

I remember seeing this place when I was planning my trip and strongly considering booking it.  Glad to know it lives up to the hype.

Offline Moshesinger21

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
I would really like to go to Bermuda using points for hotel stays. You mentioned that there is 1 points property... what is it? I couldn't find any?

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
I would really like to go to Bermuda using points for hotel stays. You mentioned that there is 1 points property... what is it? I couldn't find any?
I think there are 2 Fairmonts.

Offline Moshesinger21

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
What points can I use for those?

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
What points can I use for those?
Buy Fairmont nights. I'm actually selling .

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Nice report! Hadn't seen this until now. I'm a fan of going to a place with a private pool, so good to know this is an option - thanks!

Offline Moshesinger21

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
How much do u sell for? Kinda looking to do this cheaply

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Sure. You have a bathroom, shower, comfortable chair, bar, and in relative peace.
The problem is that it's all in the same 4x4 room
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
How much do u sell for? Kinda looking to do this cheaply
$250 each.

Offline Moshesinger21

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
250 each what?

Offline Emkay

• View Profile

Offline Luvtotravel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Bermuda

Bermuda is divided into 9 parishes, like counties. Note that Hamilton, the main hub for Bermuda, is not in Hamilton Parish. The island is also divided into East End and West End, which each of these having a distinctive vibe. Hamilton is somewhere in between.
The entire island is all of 21 square miles with a population of 60-65,000. Wherever you go, you are surrounded by bays, harbors, sounds, channels, and of course the Atlantic Ocean. The views from just about everywhere are incredible. The bodies of water are dotted with moorings for sailboats, motorboats and all manner of water vessels.

The architecture is mainly colonial/Mediterranean with even brand new construction being built in the same manner with brilliantly colored stucco and white limestone roofs. As Bermuda only receives approximately 55 inches of rain annually, they are very careful with water conservation. The limestone roofs serve as a filter for the rain water which is channeled into each house's water tank.

The currency is the Bermudian dollar with a 1:1 exchange to USD. There is no tax.

Transportation

There are no cars rented to foreigners with the primary means of tourist transportation being the efficient bus and ferry system which run regularly. Pink poles next to bus stops or even randomly built into the side of the road, signify bus stops leading to Hamilton (city center), whereas blue poles lead to St. George's.
Another option for tourists, which we chose, is to rent a motorcycle, called a moped, scooter or cycle. Most rentals deliver to your destination. We used oleandercycles.com. They were extremely efficient, delivering our cycle to our somewhat remote location within 45 minutes of contacting them. There are several options to choose from. We chose the Deluxe Scooter since we had two riders. The cost is approximately $50/day and that includes helmets and roadside assistance. There is also a mandatory $30 fee per rental.
IMG_4782 by luvto travel, on Flickr

I have driven a jetski, and am pretty good at the racetrack, but nothing could have prepared me for riding a motorcycle. In Bermuda, driving is on the left since the driver is on the right (in cars, obviously) which was a completely new experience. Couple that with treacherously narrow streets, roundabouts on just about every corner, and hills and valleys and bends and twists and no regard for the meridian line, and you could see while I was a total wreck the first time I tried riding. My dw jumped off the back just as I almost rode up a wall on a narrow alleyway. After a while I got the hang of it and we ended up enjoying it immensely.
The posted speed island-wide is 35 kph which comes to just 20-25 mph. Im not advocating dumping the law but just for your personal safety, bear in mind that every other motorist will be passing you at 50 mph on a double yellow line irrespective of posted speed limits. Come to think of it I don’t think of it, I don’t think I saw a police officer the entire time I was there.
Shopping
The term sticker shock is of course relative, but I believe it is universally accepted that $5/dozen eggs is on the steep side of things. $13 for a 7.5 oz. shampoo. $4 for a liter or seltzer. You get the gist. There is a small chain store called MarketPlace, which carries many ShopRite branded items (at outrageous prices) where we did most of our grocery shopping. There are only locally owned businesses in Bermuda so don’t expect  to find a Walmart, CVS or anything of the sort.  I was short a pair of pants and spent a small fortune for a mediocre pair of sweatpants at Gibbons.
I actually asked my host how the local population affords these prices. He claims that Bermuda has a 100% employment rate, and so, hardly any people living below poverty line. Now I don’t know whether that’s true but youd be hard pressed to find cheap anything. As an aside, the main industry is insuring insurance policies. Boooring….
After loading up the groceries in the little metal basket in the back and tying them down with bungee cords, we were off.

Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline Luvtotravel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
the post above was written a while ago but I just posted it since I would like to add to this TR. more to follow
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.