Author Topic: NY Sanitation - New LAW!!  (Read 3819 times)

Offline EE4504

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
NY Sanitation - New LAW!!
« on: November 02, 2016, 10:04:55 AM »
A new law requires drivers in New York state to reduce speeds when passing sanitation vehicles.
There are fines and points on your license if you get written up by police.
It took effect Tuesday and is pretty straightforward, requiring drivers to slow done when they pass a garbage or recycling truck. New York became the 12th state to enact such a law.

Now besides being waken up by these sanitation trucks at night when they make their rounds to pick up garbage we now also have to stop for them.... !!!

Offline JTZ

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: NY Sanitation - New LAW!!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 10:10:44 AM »
What does slow down mean? If I am going 30 over the speed limit and slow down to 10 over is that good enough?
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline CZ60

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 10:13:45 AM »
Thanks for the heads up.

Never understood why they can't coordinate with alternate side street cleaning as well. Its run by the same department!

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 10:13:58 AM »
What does slow down mean? If I am going 30 over the speed limit and slow down to 10 over is that good enough?
In NYC that means slowing down from 10mph to 5mph

Offline akivak

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 10:38:52 AM »
how slow is slow?

Offline coralsnake

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 12:54:27 PM »
Now besides being waken up by these sanitation trucks at night when they make their rounds to pick up garbage we now also have to stop for them.... !!!

Terrible. When can we live in a civilized society where nobody picks up our garbage?!?!
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 01:52:51 PM »
Terrible. When can we live in a civilized society where nobody picks up our garbage?!?!
We are already there. Unless you take care of the workers that are assigned to your route, so that they actually pick up ALL the garbage.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline coralsnake

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 02:08:01 PM »
We are already there. Unless you take care of the workers that are assigned to your route, so that they actually pick up ALL the garbage.
I once had an issue where they drove past my house when I had just parked in front "blocking" the garbage. I called 311. Not only did they come back that day but I received a call from the superintendent and a follow up a week or so later to make sure the issue was resolved. 

They take this stuff seriously.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 02:16:33 PM »
I once had an issue where they drove past my house when I had just parked in front "blocking" the garbage. I called 311. Not only did they come back that day but I received a call from the superintendent and a follow up a week or so later to make sure the issue was resolved. 

I recently had an old refrigerator I needed to get rid of. It took over a month of repeated calls to 311 until they finally took it (first a few weeks until they removed the CFC, and then a couple of weeks until they took the refrigerator once it was tagged that the CFC was removed).
-- Dan

Offline EE4504

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 10:41:17 AM »

Yeah Yeah...!
A few years ago after we had the winter snow sturms our garbage on the Avenue was not picked up for 4 weeks (The side streets were all collected...) I called 311 to complain. Sure enough 2 days later they came to pick up the garbage. While they were picking up the garbage i saw a sanitation office pulling up in front of my house and waited until the truck moved on. Sure enough he stepped out of his car and started writing me a summons for dirty sidewalk. I asked him "Are you issuing me a summons?" he said "Yes, look at your sidewalk".

I started yelling at him : first you don't collect garbage for 4 weeks and the second its collected you are writing me a ticket! Don't you see that this dirt is from the garbage bags that were out here for 4 weeks waiting to be picked up...!!!

He apologized and left.

Offline koplonko

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 11:21:15 AM »
Yeah Yeah...!
A few years ago after we had the winter snow sturms our garbage on the Avenue was not picked up for 4 weeks (The side streets were all collected...) I called 311 to complain. Sure enough 2 days later they came to pick up the garbage. While they were picking up the garbage i saw a sanitation office pulling up in front of my house and waited until the truck moved on. Sure enough he stepped out of his car and started writing me a summons for dirty sidewalk. I asked him "Are you issuing me a summons?" he said "Yes, look at your sidewalk".

I started yelling at him : first you don't collect garbage for 4 weeks and the second its collected you are writing me a ticket! Don't you see that this dirt is from the garbage bags that were out here for 4 weeks waiting to be picked up...!!!

He apologized and left.
You got off lucky... 😉

Offline tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 02:07:50 PM »
You got off lucky... 😉
Yup. Most would just write you an additional ticket

Offline avadah

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 04:57:33 PM »
We had garbage that they weren't taking for a few weeks  (maybe long florescent bulbs, I can't remember) after numerous calls to 311 to no avail we just walked to the corner and put it in the city garbage can 

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 05:02:52 PM »
We had garbage that they weren't taking for a few weeks  (maybe long florescent bulbs, I can't remember) after numerous calls to 311 to no avail we just walked to the corner and put it in the city garbage can
They have 311 in Jerusalem?
-- Dan

Offline avadah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 05:03:53 PM »
Back in nyc.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2016, 05:06:16 PM »
Unfortunately, the way to deal with this is as explain in the following from 0:14 to 0:22

Just meet your sanitation workers and take care of them.
-- Dan

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2016, 06:02:09 PM »
Careful with doing that.  If you put 'personal' garbage in city pails you can get a ticket. L'maase what that means is, be sure nothing in the garbage has your address or other way to identify you.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2016, 06:32:41 PM »
Threads like these make me so thankful that I live in Nassau county. Not only do the sanitation workers come 2-3 times a week (alternating weeks), and not only do they come to the side or back of the house to get your garbage cans, they also return the empty garbage cans from where they got it from. And the best part is that don't have to separate recycling stuff (although for those that want to, they could).
And don't start telling me about high taxes. My taxes are down to ~5k/year at this point (I fight it each year and it goes down). People in Brooklyn have about the same (so I'm told).

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2016, 06:38:05 PM »

Threads like these make me so thankful that I live in Nassau county. Not only do the sanitation workers come 2-3 times a week (alternating weeks), and not only do they come to the side or back of the house to get your garbage cans, they also return the empty garbage cans from where they got it from. And the best part is that don't have to separate recycling stuff (although for those that want to, they could).
And don't start telling me about high taxes. My taxes are down to ~5k/year at this point (I fight it each year and it goes down). People in Brooklyn have about the same (so I'm told).
+1 but are you aware of the new proposed "ticket fee" of $105 on any parking or moving violation ticket which i s not waived even if you're found not guilty.
As for your point about taxes, we also don't pay city income tax which is about 3% if you make over 90k a year. Which makes up for (or comes close to) the diffrence in property taxes.

Offline coralsnake

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2016, 06:43:38 PM »
Nassau county was so great I got a ticket for branches on my lawn after a storm. And the taxes were a helluva lot more than 5k.