Author Topic: Vocal (voice) Questions Master Thread  (Read 6755 times)

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Re: Vocal (voice) Questions Master Thread
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2016, 12:32:50 AM »
Make a recording, and listen to it yourself. See what you think about it. ;)
That is the a TERRIBLE piece of advice! (Nothing personal, Iz)
Try that and you won't invest a nickel in your voice. Ever.  ;D

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2016, 01:51:51 AM »
That is the a TERRIBLE piece of advice! (Nothing personal, Iz)
Try that and you won't invest a nickel in your voice. Ever.  ;D
Agreed. I think it's worth it for everyone go at least for a few lessons, it could help tremendously even if you are not a singer, chazan etc.

Offline srap

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2016, 09:47:56 AM »
Agreed. I think it's worth it for everyone go at least for a few lessons, it could help tremendously even if you are not a singer, chazan etc.
Yes.  Most people breathe improperly so a few lessons will help that, as well.

Offline Miracle

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2016, 12:57:23 PM »
How does one assess whether or not it is worthwhile to invest in their voice?
I think I have a nice voice, but I'm not sure if when people say shkoyach and I like your voice and things like that if they mean it or are being nice.
In addition, is it worth putting in a lot of money, would it always be worth the return with rh/yk etc?
Also, what is the said goal of voice lessons?
Thank you.
I know what you mean - YEARS AGO, I use to think the same thing, "Are they being nice or did they really enjoy my voice?"

There are many reasons why a person would get voice lessons.
Rebbe or Teacher: To be able to project his voice in a classroom
Singer or Chazan: To be able to control each note, sing on tune, expand his/her range, etc.
Bochur: To be able to learn in a Bais filled with people without going hoarse or singing in an oneg where people start keys at extremely high notes, etc..
Avreich or Ba'al Habayit: To be able to make kiddush and sing shabbos zmiros at the table.
Other: I've had guys come to me because they don't believe in themselves or have low self esteem or want to be able to sing at someone else's shabbos table without feeling self conscious or shy. Or someone who's anxious, they come to me to learn how to breathe properly...

It depends on you.

And if you can speak, then you can sing. You just need to learn how to use your voice properly.
If you want me to tell you about your voice, you're welcome to record a song and send me the mp3. I prefer slow songs because I can hear each note better.

Singing should be easy and fun. Putting effort means there's something you're doing wrong.

Please don't hesitate to ask me any questions. I am a professional voice teacher. I give lessons in person in Israel and everywhere else in the world via Skype.

Yes.  Most people breathe improperly so a few lessons will help that, as well.
I agree on both accounts. In addition it helps with self esteem, to burn off steam (as an outlet,) etc. It's loads of fun!