Topic Wiki

Title companies
Riverside
Madison
universalabstract

Great mortgage brokers that you used
« Last edited by yesitsme on October 08, 2021, 02:06:12 AM »

Author Topic: Any mortgage experts on the forums?  (Read 90712 times)

Offline jackofall

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Any mortgage experts on the forums?
« Reply #460 on: May 24, 2022, 10:42:11 PM »
https://thefinancebuff.com/is-home-mortgage-simple-interest-or-compound-interest.html

I think this explains it properly but I'm no math wizard.
TL;DR "...a typical home mortgage with amortized payments behave[s ] more like a compound interest loan, but it doesn’t make it one. The compounding effect comes from varying principal payments, not from compounding interest."
Thanks. Super helpful
If you focus on being a boss, you will never be a leader. Leaders lead people to growth and improvement.

Offline farmbochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: May 24, 2022, 11:02:31 PM »

https://thefinancebuff.com/is-home-mortgage-simple-interest-or-compound-interest.html

TL;DR "...a typical home mortgage with amortized payments behave[s ] more like a compound interest loan, but it doesn’t make it one. The compounding effect comes from varying principal payments, not from compounding interest."

Thanks. Super helpful

Is it helpful? Seems like a bunch of semantics to me.
Risk is opportunity

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: May 24, 2022, 11:11:42 PM »

Again, not really relevant to the question at hand. The interest you're not paying on the $50k payment is absolutely compounding interest - hence the formula 1.05^30 (in case anyone wants to get nitpicky, that's obviously not the exact formula here).

And as to that post's actual point, its very much semantics. You're not paying interest on the interest they already charged because you paid it off right away. Technically it's correct that the interest can be described as simple interest because if you miss a payment they don't increase your payments/interest owed (they'll charge you fees instead). But in the other direction (additional payments) it's more useful to think of the interest saved in terms of compound interest.

Offline ruru1000

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: May 24, 2022, 11:36:52 PM »
I think he did.

Basically, in your example of a $500k 30yr at 5%, because of how the loan amortizes you make 360 equal monthly payments of approximately $2684/month, which totals to approximately $966,240, almost double the loan amount. If you paid down $50k on day one then you’re effectively borrowing only $450k, and the payments for a $450k 30-year loan only add up to approx $869,760.
My understanding is on a 30 yr fixed loan, making an extra lump $50k payment will not reflect a $450k remaining balance - rather, it would just reduce the amount of months on the backend. ARM's are a different story since the interest is calculated on the remaining principal balance on a monthly basis.   Again, I could be wrong, but you should definitely double check with the bank/mortgage company.

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 24, 2022, 11:57:36 PM »
My understanding is on a 30 yr fixed loan, making an extra lump $50k payment will not reflect a $450k remaining balance - rather, it would just reduce the amount of months on the backend. ARM's are a different story since the interest is calculated on the remaining principal balance on a monthly basis.   Again, I could be wrong, but you should definitely double check with the bank/mortgage company.
Generally speaking, additional payments absolutely reduce the loan balance. The whole reason you pay fewer months on the backend is because the balance is zero by then. Maybe what you're thinking of is the fact that they don't recalculate your required monthly payment.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: May 25, 2022, 12:49:48 AM »
Correct. There are 2 components to a loan payment. Principal and interest. The principal gets amortized, or split up, over the life of the loan. It makes no difference,  regarding the principal, when I pay principal back. It only makes a difference regarding the interest.

Incorrect. Because amortization is what determines that paying $50k upfront is what pays off $50k in principal. Amortization is the name for the idea that your your fixed payment comprises 95% interest the first year and 1% interest the last year.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline jackofall

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 25, 2022, 09:58:28 AM »

Is it helpful? Seems like a bunch of semantics to me.
I thought it explained everything perfectly
If you focus on being a boss, you will never be a leader. Leaders lead people to growth and improvement.

Offline jackofall

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 25, 2022, 10:04:38 AM »
Again, not really relevant to the question at hand. The interest you're not paying on the $50k payment is absolutely compounding interest - hence the formula 1.05^30 (in case anyone wants to get nitpicky, that's obviously not the exact formula here).

And as to that post's actual point, its very much semantics. You're not paying interest on the interest they already charged because you paid it off right away. Technically it's correct that the interest can be described as simple interest because if you miss a payment they don't increase your payments/interest owed (they'll charge you fees instead). But in the other direction (additional payments) it's more useful to think of the interest saved in terms of compound interest.
They way i understand it is as follows. There is not a real compound component with a mortgage. Interest due and interest paid. However, when you prepay, it has a snowball effect that behaves like a compound. The reason being is because after the prepayment your interest should be less. Yet your paying based on the original calc. So in essence you are paying off more principal. And this continues, A la compound

Offline jackofall

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: May 25, 2022, 10:41:04 AM »
Incorrect. Because amortization is what determines that paying $50k upfront is what pays off $50k in principal. Amortization is the name for the idea that your your fixed payment comprises 95% interest the first year and 1% interest the last year.
You are missing the point

Offline JMHO

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 25, 2022, 02:10:21 PM »
You are missing the point
Haha, point!

Offline JMHO

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 13, 2022, 07:24:25 PM »
Anyone locked in since Shavuos and mind sharing their rate?

Residential purchase in NYC.

Offline Fish Tank

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 03, 2022, 02:50:01 PM »
My monthly mortgage payment include the cost of property taxes.

I would like to pay property tax directly to my township. (to pay by cc)

Is there a way to do that?

Offline my08701

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 03, 2022, 03:23:38 PM »

you can set it up when applying for your mortgage. It is calling waiving escrows. You can request from your mortgage broker / banker that you’d like to pay your own taxes.  However, if it’s already set up after closing, the bank most probably will not change the ways your escrows are set up. However, it doesn’t hurt to ask. 

Offline dm123

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 03, 2022, 03:33:26 PM »

Some townships (maybe all at this point?) have an online portal where you can pay property taxes online.
You can probably also walk into or call the tax collectors office and pay.
Although once the bill is paid I don't think they accept payment until the next bill generates.

If you get in the payment before the bank pays it, will the bank not pay it and refund the overage escrow at annual review or will they pay it and township will refund it? Or will the township hold the extra payment as a credit on the property?

Offline Fish Tank

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 03, 2022, 03:33:40 PM »
you can set it up when applying for your mortgage. It is calling waiving escrows. You can request from your mortgage broker / banker that you’d like to pay your own taxes.  However, if it’s already set up after closing, the bank most probably will not change the ways your escrows are set up. However, it doesn’t hurt to ask.
Thank you.

What happens if the bank isn't wiling to switch the way the escrow is set up, and I still go ahead and pay the township directly?

Offline Fish Tank

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 03, 2022, 03:34:35 PM »
If you get in the payment before the bank pays it, will the bank not pay it and refund the overage escrow at annual review or will they pay it and township will refund it? Or will the township hold the extra payment as a credit on the property?
Jinx.

Wondering the same thing.

Offline dm123

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 03, 2022, 03:37:42 PM »
Jinx.

Wondering the same thing.

LOL yeah.

Although just remembered I did once pay my property insurance (allstate I think, not tax with township) with a CC and IIRC the bank (WF) didn't pay it and they refunded me the overage on annual escrow review.

Offline my08701

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 03, 2022, 03:52:23 PM »
Thank you.

What happens if the bank isn't wiling to switch the way the escrow is set up, and I still go ahead and pay the township directly?
The bank has the money for escrow and will be mailing in a check as well. If you decide to pay, the township will have both payments, and "eventually" have to send back one payment. I would not suggest paying them a second time..

Offline my08701

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 03, 2022, 03:53:11 PM »
LOL yeah.

Although just remembered I did once pay my property insurance (allstate I think, not tax with township) with a CC and IIRC the bank (WF) didn't pay it and they refunded me the overage on annual escrow review.
correct, they will always refund you, the banks will not take double payments, neither the insurance company, or township, the question is when and how long that will take..

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #479 on: August 03, 2022, 03:54:00 PM »

IME, my bank made me call in with a confirmation number in order to stop their payment from being made.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.