Author Topic: Jewish Music With Non-Jewish Origins Master Thread  (Read 146590 times)

Offline asherbarkin

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: MBD - Yidden!
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2012, 01:51:09 PM »
in seriousness downloading songs is illegal. My CD is coming out soon. Dont steal my music, there is no excuse to do it and if you do it you are likely pasul for eidus and if you touch wine its yayin nesech.  The way to do teshuva is to buy it. http://www.torah.org/learning/honesty/class64.html .

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2012, 02:00:41 PM »
To be clear I'm not advocating downloading music.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline asherbarkin

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »
Im sorry, I meant the proverbial you for anyone that will listen

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2012, 02:03:53 PM »
The way to do tshuva? Okay, will buy some although I don't need them.

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2012, 02:10:13 PM »
in seriousness downloading songs is illegal. My CD is coming out soon. Dont steal my music, there is no excuse to do it and if you do it you are likely pasul for eidus and if you touch wine its yayin nesech.  The way to do teshuva is to buy it. http://www.torah.org/learning/honesty/class64.html .

Only if you would have bought it otherwise.

Offline elig770

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2012, 02:15:14 PM »
For the record... Downloading music is not against Halacha b/c according to Jewish law you don't own intellectual property.

Feel free to correct me but I did hear this from sources I consider reliable and I personally trust. I'm not saying I endorse downloading music or anything of the sort... All I'm saying is before you claim someone to be Posul Le'Adus please bring facts and sources....

Offline MarkS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2012, 02:19:34 PM »
There is an entire sefer (I don't remember the name) on this topic. I skimmed through it once and I remember him saying that Halachicaly it's muttar to download and that if artists want to protect their material they should include a text on the CD saying they are only 'leasing' the CD and not selling it in which case you are responsible to abide by the terms of the lease.

A few years ago several singers started putting that text on their albums (word for word from what was written in this sefer) but for some reason I haven't seen it recently.

It seems singers and poskim agree that it muttar to copy and thus feel a need to come up with a leasing agreement.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 02:23:47 PM by MarkS »

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2012, 02:28:49 PM »

Music is a labor of love to me it does not pay the bills as of yet. I hope that people hire me but I do other things as well. Now please bug your pathetic ass off me. OK.
Wow I just saw this. I have nothing against you personally I just had to correct a lie.
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2012, 02:51:09 PM »
i have also heard that it is muttar to copy or download music and is not considered stealing

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2012, 02:58:14 PM »
its different. the original artists arent losing money by shlock rock, mbd or weird al yankovic singing a different version. however, downloading illegally is causing a direct loss

Dan's point was that those artists are thieves themselves (they stole parts of the songs they sing) yet they tell you not to steal their music. Hypocrisy, no?

No offense, but your post is flamebait...

There is an entire sefer (I don't remember the name) on this topic. I skimmed through it once and I remember him saying that Halachicaly it's muttar to download and that if artists want to protect their material they should include a text on the CD saying they are only 'leasing' the CD and not selling it in which case you are responsible to abide by the terms of the lease.

A few years ago several singers started putting that text on their albums (word for word from what was written in this sefer) but for some reason I haven't seen it recently.

It seems singers and poskim agree that it muttar to copy and thus feel a need to come up with a leasing agreement.

IIRC some of the non-Jewish download (or maybe it was streaming) sites were putting in their T&Cs that you don't actually own the songs you purchase, you're just paying for the rights to use the music pursuant to their terms.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 03:01:28 PM by AsherO »
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline JEWDA

• View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »
i have also heard that it is muttar to copy or download music and is not considered stealing
I also heard that. And I personally download alot of music from one site that has almost every jewish cd that comes out.

Offline ChAiM'l

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2012, 03:42:50 PM »
I also heard that. And I personally download alot of music from one site that has almost every jewish cd that comes out.
Have you asked a shaila?

Offline JEWDA

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2012, 03:46:38 PM »
Have you asked a shaila?
I heard it straight out from a rabbi.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2012, 04:00:46 PM »

Music is a labor of love to me it does not pay the bills as of yet. I hope that people hire me but I do other things as well. Now please bug your pathetic ass off me. OK.

Do I really wanna take Halacha advice from someone who feels the need to resort to 'dirty' language?
Or listen to some 'heartfelt' music by the same guying swearing on the forums?

Hmm..

Not too classy, eh?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2012, 04:01:09 PM »
May I know the name (and phone number, if possible) of that rabbi?
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2012, 04:05:09 PM »
May I know the name (and phone number, if possible) of that rabbi?
I heard the same psak in the name of Rabbi Osdaba http://www.chkosher.com/BeisDinHours.htm
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Red

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2012, 04:16:47 PM »

This doesn't necessarily work. For example, if you lease something and violate the lease al pi halacha it nullifies the lease from the beginning meaning you have to return the cd and he has to return your money, based on the assumption (closer to a fact) that no artist is really willing to return the money if the "lease" is violated. This proves what it really is, a sale. I'm not saying this gives you a right to copy it, but it does nullify the "lease".

Offline asherbarkin

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2012, 04:37:59 PM »
read this http://www.torah.org/learning/honesty/class64.html

and I am a singer and I am not cool with anyone stealing my music.  Let this be public knowledge to anyone here. If one wants my music that is being sold then buy it, if one can't afford it Ill give a free copy, just email me. You may not steal my music.

Switching to to first person for effect

In fact I will likely offer my CD for download and if you dont like it you can destroy it and you do not have to pay. But if you do like it you must pay. Its a chaval for a Rabbi to embarrass Hashem kv"y by stipulating that its OK to steal. If you wouldn't buy it you wouldn't be listening to it, and you are going to steal at least you should know that its illegal and immoral

My wife, myself, my children, my parents and all else of those who invested resources into my music do not necessarily want our investment to go to ashes because some Sodomite announced that its OK to steal it. I want to make sure that this is clear in advance.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 04:42:26 PM by asherbarkin »

Offline JEWDA

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2012, 04:46:33 PM »

and I am a singer and I am not cool with anyone stealing my music.  Let this be public knowledge to anyone here. If one wants my music that is being sold then buy it, if one can't afford it Ill give a free copy, just email me. You may not steal my music.

In fact I will likely offer my CD for download and if you dont like it you can destroy it and you do not have to pay. But if you do like it you must pay. Its a chaval for a Rabbi to embarrass Hashem kv"y by stipulating that its OK to steal. If you wouldn't buy it you wouldn't be listening to it, and you are going to steal at least you should know that its illegal and immoral

My wife, myself, my children, my parents and all else of those who invested resources into my music do not necessarily want our investment to go to ashes because some Sodomite announced that its OK to steal it. I want to make sure that this is clear in advance.
Sure, Rabbi asher barkin!! Thers only one rabbi in the whole world.

Offline Red

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2012, 04:48:49 PM »

Sorry I didn't read the link you posted, because as most of these kind of discussions go there are many Rabonim on each side and everyone should follow what their Rav says. As far as it being illegal, the sugya of dina d'malchusa dina is a very complicated one and just because it is illegal doesn't mean it's assur. And as far as it being immoral or unethical, that may very well be however that still doesn't make it assur. (Again i'm not condoning it or even paskening that it's muttar however it's not pashut at all).