Author Topic: Jewish Music With Non-Jewish Origins Master Thread  (Read 146573 times)

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: MBD - Yidden!
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2012, 04:49:27 PM »
read this http://www.torah.org/learning/honesty/class64.html

and I am a singer and I am not cool with anyone stealing my music.  Let this be public knowledge to anyone here. If one wants my music that is being sold then buy it, if one can't afford it Ill give a free copy, just email me. You may not steal my music.

Switching to to first person for effect

In fact I will likely offer my CD for download and if you dont like it you can destroy it and you do not have to pay. But if you do like it you must pay. Its a chaval for a Rabbi to embarrass Hashem kv"y by stipulating that its OK to steal. If you wouldn't buy it you wouldn't be listening to it, and you are going to steal at least you should know that its illegal and immoral

My wife, myself, my children, my parents and all else of those who invested resources into my music do not necessarily want our investment to go to ashes because some Sodomite announced that its OK to steal it. I want to make sure that this is clear in advance.

If somebody has no intention to buy the album (wether its bec. They can't afford or if its bec of a different reason),  there are poskim that hold its totally mutar.

You are a noigaya bedavar and therefore your own psak is pretty much not worth anything.

Offline JEWDA

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2012, 04:50:10 PM »
You are a noigaya bedavar and therefore your own psak is pretty much not worth anything.
+1
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2012, 04:52:56 PM »
In case its assur, its one of the hardest yetzer horahs to overcome.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2012, 04:53:30 PM »
In fact I will likely offer my CD for download and if you dont like it you can destroy it and you do not have to pay. But if you do like it you must pay. Its a chaval for a Rabbi to embarrass Hashem kv"y by stipulating that its OK to steal. If you wouldn't buy it you wouldn't be listening to it, and you are going to steal at least you should know that its illegal and immoral

My wife, myself, my children, my parents and all else of those who invested resources into my music do not necessarily want our investment to go to ashes because some Sodomite announced that its OK to steal it. I want to make sure that this is clear in advance.

ooook... Now you're pushing it a bit, IMHO.

+1

For the record: (no offense but) I have no interest in your music. If I did, I'd consider buying your album.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2012, 04:58:39 PM »
If you wouldn't buy it you wouldn't be listening to it
  If i gave you a Lamborghini would you drive it? If YouTube charged $1 to view every video would you still watch a few a day? Just because I won't pay for something doesn't mean I wouldn't do/use it for free.

Also I must agree with what other people are saying halacha is decided by a rav not by what seems right or what your feelings tell you.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline chaimmayer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2012, 05:50:17 PM »
Another version of chayiv inish - without the kol isha ;)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 02:51:22 PM by Dan »

Offline exfallsburg

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2012, 09:44:35 PM »
Ironic - Men At Work face £33m bill after judge rules Australian band copied Down Under melody (this topic is ancient and has been hashed and rehashed ad nauseam)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2012, 09:56:33 PM »
Ironic - Men At Work face £33m bill after judge rules Australian band copied Down Under melody (this topic is ancient and has been hashed and rehashed ad nauseam)
Wow, those songs barely sound similar.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2012, 09:21:42 AM »
For the record: (no offense but) I have no interest in your music.

+1

Offline David B

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold, IHC Gold, Hertz PC, National Executive
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2012, 09:35:26 AM »
Wow, those songs barely sound similar.

+1

Offline smurf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2012, 09:52:25 AM »
Does this mean theyre coming after piamenta next?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2012, 12:41:23 PM »
Does this mean theyre coming after piamenta next?
My father loves to tell over a story he heard from Lenny Solomon, who basically is Shlock Rock. He said a lawyer for a famous musician ((I think it was Billy Joel or Elton John) wanted to begin legal action, or collect royalties (or whatever they're called) for the copyrighted songs Shlock Rock uses. The lawyer sat down with them and his first question was how many albums do you sell. When he heard the answer (it was a low number, be it hundreds or a few thousand) he got up, grabbed his stuff and left.

Obviously the details are a little fuzzy. The point is, almost no one sells enough Jewish music for anyone of note to care about their copyrighted music being used.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Drago

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2012, 12:52:26 PM »
If it hasn't been posted yet, here's a comprehensive summary
http://onthisandonthat.blogspot.com/2012/03/and-here-i-thought-origins-of-popular.html

Offline doublejay

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2012, 12:20:58 AM »
If i gave you a Lamborghini would you drive it? If YouTube charged $1 to view every video would you still watch a few a day? Just because I won't pay for something doesn't mean I wouldn't do/use it for free.

Also I must agree with what other people are saying halacha is decided by a rav not by what seems right or what your feelings tell you.

Unfair IMO, If there was a really easy way to pay 1 cent a video would you watch that video?

When you think of it that way I think it becomes clear that people would pay. They just don't agree on the price.

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2012, 12:23:52 AM »
Unfair IMO, If there was a really easy way to pay 1 cent a video would you watch that video?

When you think of it that way I think it becomes clear that people would pay. They just don't agree on the price.

. . . Or they can't afford it. So if it would be 1 cent per song,  they would by it. Now that its $3 per song, they will never buy and therefore not cause any loss by copying.

Offline doublejay

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2012, 12:32:50 AM »
. . . Or they can't afford it. So if it would be 1 cent per song,  they would by it. Now that its $3 per song, they will never buy and therefore not cause any loss by copying.

Fair point.  I wasn't sure that my first posting fully held water. I agree, finding it too expensive is basically the same thing.

I think it will be harder to argue with my second ha'arah:

Say copying music was totally assur and I didn't have an ipod full of music "i-wasn't-interested-in-buying-but-am willing-to-listen-to-now-and-then" without all that free "junk-i-wouldn't-pay-for" my car rides would be awfully quiet. I think I would stop in to the local judaica store and pick out the least "not-worth-paying-for" CD to make the car ride interesting.

No?

So that new mediocre CD that just came out and you promptly ripped to your collection but are certain you wouldn't actually pay for.... are you really sure?

Are you sure you are buying as many CDs with the invention of a CD burner as if the technology didn't exist?

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2012, 01:03:47 AM »
For the record: (no offense but) I have no interest in your music. If I did, I'd consider buying your album.
+1
+2

Offline Mocha

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2012, 08:04:34 AM »

hu hu hu, hu yigal osanu

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 02:52:21 PM by Dan »

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2012, 10:13:21 AM »
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 02:52:44 PM by Dan »
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline asherbarkin

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2012, 12:50:31 AM »
If somebody has no intention to buy the album (wether its bec. They can't afford or if its bec of a different reason),  there are poskim that hold its totally mutar.

this is true, never the less I was actually quoting halachically Rabbi Yisroel Belsky and trying to illustrate the logic. If its muttar, its as muttar as the dor hamabul stealing less than a pruta from each other. Its logic defying to be muttar to steal and its likely assur.  Its probably more muttar to use a microphone on shabbos, at least your not hurting anyone. The Jews are supposed to be a light unto the nations and definatly to eacthother, what a silly conversation. You know how many Jews are in the New York State prison system? Dont be matir stealing, besides for the fact that you have to be a shota to actually believe that its OK, you can get prosecuted, heavilt fined etc, it happens occasionally. common, I dear any of you cowards to use your real names here and make an written actual record that says that its OK to steal music. Be mevayesh yourselves brabim, please it will help be mechaper on your aveiros.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:03:57 AM by asherbarkin »