Author Topic: Flights cancelled - strike possible in the coming days/weeks at El Al  (Read 48990 times)

Offline travel agent

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Flights cancelled - strike posibble in the coming days/weeks at El Al
« Reply #135 on: November 21, 2016, 08:48:18 AM »
tonight:

BKK is cancelled again
YYZ is delayed from 00:35 to 9:00
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 09:12:29 AM by travel agent »

Offline shimino1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 21, 2016, 09:43:07 AM »
It's all out war!

The battle lines have bean drawn. The pilots don't want to be stuck in New York or Bangkok or wherever away from their family's while they wait out the clock to be able to fly back home and therefore wish to return immediately to Israel in the next flight all the while being paid and getting other perks (business class seats, etc').

ElAl does not want to fly out 2 flight crews for every flight, one to fly there and one to fly back and wants to be able to rely on crews staying in the destination city long enough to fly a plane back to Israel.

On the whole Elal management sucks but I can't help like feeling they are correct in this fight and are finely taking a stand against the pilot's union extortion.

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #137 on: November 21, 2016, 09:55:25 AM »
It's all out war!

The battle lines have bean drawn. The pilots don't want to be stuck in New York or Bangkok or wherever away from their family's while they wait out the clock to be able to fly back home and therefore wish to return immediately to Israel in the next flight all the while being paid and getting other perks (business class seats, etc').

ElAl does not want to fly out 2 flight crews for every flight, one to fly there and one to fly back and wants to be able to rely on crews staying in the destination city long enough to fly a plane back to Israel.

On the whole Elal management sucks but I can't help like feeling they are correct in this fight and are finely taking a stand against the pilot's union extortion.
Don't think there is any other airline doing so, except maybe where there is once twice a week then the pilots fly back with the next flight.
During one of the wars in Israel, KLM did AMS-TLV-LCA-AMS so the crew could stay in LCA instead of TLV.
A pilot on SQ told me they sleep in FRA, do NYC, sleep there, back to FRA and sleep, and pilot the next day back.
So seriously don't know what stupidity got into the LY crew to request this.

Will say, many times the union does ask for stuff that seems crazy. AC for example, the 787 has a pilot bunk with 2/3 beds, but they still need to block a premium economy seat for them

Offline eliesquire

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 21, 2016, 10:22:14 AM »
Has anyone been able to get a cancelation fee waiver code from ElAl? Care to share?

Offline yandmk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 21, 2016, 10:51:25 AM »
Don't think there is any other airline doing so, except maybe where there is once twice a week then the pilots fly back with the next flight.
During one of the wars in Israel, KLM did AMS-TLV-LCA-AMS so the crew could stay in LCA instead of TLV.
A pilot on SQ told me they sleep in FRA, do NYC, sleep there, back to FRA and sleep, and pilot the next day back.
So seriously don't know what stupidity got into the LY crew to request this.

Will say, many times the union does ask for stuff that seems crazy. AC for example, the 787 has a pilot bunk with 2/3 beds, but they still need to block a premium economy seat for them
A few days ago, I read somewhere (don't remember where) that this is due to a law (going into effect May 2018) that will require a 5 day break between flights, which would keep them away from home longer as well as significantly cutting their work hours. They are therefore demanding to fly home AND still get paid since they aren't allowed to fly. (I believe now they can fly twice weekly - once back and forth. CMIIW)

Online Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #140 on: November 21, 2016, 11:07:05 AM »
It's all out war!

This

Offline travel agent

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 21, 2016, 11:34:07 AM »
פרסום ראשון: משבר הטייסים שממשיך להעיב על חברת התעופה הישראלית אל על וגורם לנוסעים רבים לבטל את הנסיעות ולהחליפן - פגע גם ברבנים הראשיים לישראל, כך נודע ל'בחדרי חרדים'.

הראשון שבהם היה הראשון לציון והרב הראשי לישראל הגאון רבי יצחק יוסף, שיצא בסוף השבוע שעבר לביקור בזק בארה"ב לחיזוק קהילת 'שערי ציון' בניו יורק וחיזוק קהילות יהודיות נוספות. הראשל"צ לא טס בחברת אל על מלכתחילה בגלל החשש מעיכובים, וכך גם בחזור טס בחברה זרה.

יצויין שמדובר באופן חריג בו הגר"י יוסף לא טס באל על, ובעבר אף שלח מכתב למנכ"ל חברת "אל על" אליעזר שקדי בו פסק כי אין לארגן מניין לתפילה במטוס במידה שהוא גורם הפרעה לאחרים והוסיף: "כמעשה אבות יעשו בנים, גם אני רגיל במשך עשרות שנים לטוס אך ורק בחברה אל על".

גם הרב הראשי האשכנזי הגאון רבי דוד לאו שהה בימים האחרונים בארה"ב. בשבת האחרונה שהה בבולטימור בקרב הקהילות היהודיות, משם תכנן לחזור כבר ביום ראשון בלילה, בטיסת אל על מניו יורק, אלא שהטיסה בוטלה בעקבות העיצומים, והרב הראשי נאלץ לטוס עם חברה זרה באמצעות טיסת קונקשן.

בתוך כך אל על מבקשת לעדכן כי בשל עיצומי הטייסים וחוסר ההיענות שלהם לאייש טיסות נדחתה טיסה 081 לבנגקוק שהייתה אמורה לצאת הערב מבוטלת. טיסה 027 לניו יורק שאמורה לצאת הערב
תצא במטוס חכור.

Offline bjd

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 21, 2016, 12:05:31 PM »
Has anyone been able to get a cancelation fee waiver code from ElAl? Care to share?
i cancelled my flight that was scheduled for wednesday and was not charged a cancellation fee.

Offline eliesquire

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 21, 2016, 12:35:44 PM »
i cancelled my flight that was scheduled for wednesday and was not charged a cancellation fee.
I finally was able to do the same.  Travel Agent spent over an hour on the phone with ElAl trying to get the proper code.  Ended up booking a flight on Lufthansa for a similar price, which was a miracle.

Offline chff

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 21, 2016, 12:38:10 PM »
I finally was able to do the same.  Travel Agent spent over an hour on the phone with ElAl trying to get the proper code.  Ended up booking a flight on Lufthansa for a similar price, which was a miracle.
LH is striking this week as well

Offline eliesquire

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 21, 2016, 12:43:40 PM »
LH is striking this week as well
OMG.  Are you F'ing kidding me???
Just saw that they are going on strike for 24 hours begining at midnight Wed.  http://www.businessinsider.com/r-german-pilots-union-calls-for-strike-at-lufthansa-on-wednesday-2016-11 Wonderful.  Ill be somewhere over the north atlantic and will get stuck in Frankfurt... At least they protect better than ElAl... right?

Offline Yordai Dooma

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2016, 12:47:16 PM »
Wow. I literally just booked a friend on Austrian for Weds. He was originally on Elal.
I was trying to convince him to take the LH flight but he liked the OS times better

Offline chff

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2016, 01:44:49 PM »
OMG.  Are you F'ing kidding me???
Just saw that they are going on strike for 24 hours begining at midnight Wed.  http://www.businessinsider.com/r-german-pilots-union-calls-for-strike-at-lufthansa-on-wednesday-2016-11 Wonderful.  Ill be somewhere over the north atlantic and will get stuck in Frankfurt... At least they protect better than ElAl... right?

Sure, your TA should be able to rebook you once LH gives out a waiver code.

I had a client during a strike he called LH on his own to have him rebooked, and LH did so and send the tickets to be issued (the phone rep 98% of the time can not issue) and when he got to the airport some 12 hours later it still wasn't reissued, and he had to pay that airline in full. Took a few months till I got back the money from LH.

Offline chayie

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 21, 2016, 01:46:42 PM »
Hi

i have a points reservation on a flight from EWR-TLV on Nov. 30, returning December 4th.
I don't know much at all about this current ElAl issues.

Does anyone think I should get my points refunded and book with another airline, or should I just wait it out?

Thanks

Offline moe8555

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Virgin Atlantic Gold, Etihad Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Star
« Reply #149 on: November 21, 2016, 01:51:36 PM »
Hi

i have a points reservation on a flight from EWR-TLV on Nov. 30, returning December 4th.
I don't know much at all about this current ElAl issues.

Does anyone think I should get my points refunded and book with another airline, or should I just wait it out?

Thanks

Officially, your travel period falls outside the potential "strike territory," which is expected to occur around Dec. 5-6.  De facto, they're already on strike  ;D