Author Topic: USAA joining  (Read 831 times)

Offline Northeast3

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
USAA joining
« on: December 24, 2016, 12:20:54 AM »
Hello,
I am new here. I want to join USAA and wanted to know if anyone here has any experience. I am bit reluctant to send in my entire Leave and Earning statement because I am not applying for any credit that would have required financial information.

they wanted my LES for miitary service verification. I asked them to verify it with DoD on their own and the lady said they don't have access to DoD system. How would then USAA verify my service and documents?

Thank you for any feedback.

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: USAA joining
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 06:38:49 PM »
I joined USAA when I was in the service. I applied in person at their branch next to West Point so the only thing I needed was my CAC card. Sending in an LES is not too strange and considering how the most sensitive parts of your SSN and bank information are blacked out I would not worry too much about it. You have to remember USAA is not affiliated with the military so there is no reason they have any more access to DoD than Chase, Citi or any other bank. Lastly, I would highly recommend signing up for Chase Military Banking in addition to USAA. And don't forget to take advantage of USERRA to get your annual fees waived.

Offline Northeast3

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 12:45:06 PM »

Thank you!
Why would they insist on LES? I have heard they have other access to DOD system to verify service not through SCRA Data system.

I thought an SS and other biographic info should have been enough to run a service check.

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 12:46:50 PM »
Thank you!
Why would they insist on LES? I have heard they have other access to DOD system to verify service not through SCRA Data system.

I thought an SS and other biographic info should have been enough to run a service check.
Not sure but the words "I have heard" in relation to anything in the military are inherently unreliable.