Author Topic: Hypothetical MS scenario/question  (Read 8997 times)

Offline moe8555

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Re: Hypothetical MS scenario/question
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2016, 09:56:01 AM »
Narrow it down to a short question and I will be more than happy to answer.

Here we go:

What card/cards would give me the most return for my spend (in terms of points/miles) outside the USA, for the following MS method: up to $4600 a month @ 0.8% total fees at a pharmacy + an additional $3900 @ 1% fees at a supermarket?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 10:01:55 AM by moe8555 »

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2016, 09:57:17 AM »
Here we go:

What card/cards would give me the most return for my spend (in terms of points/miles) outside the USA, for the following MS method: up to $4600 a month @ 0.8% total fees + an additional $3900 @ 1% fees?
You didn't include the categories.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline emjee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2016, 09:43:44 AM »
like the overreacting of members when they think everything belongs in one thread?
Ouch Miss witty . I'm with DS though . I'm not a mod,  nor do I want to be, however there are relevant threads that this could've been asked even if it was the mics cc q's thread . Similar q's gave been asked there .
The place is starting to look like Reddit.
You're not alone unfortunately on that opinion .
Can you point me to a relevant existing thread?  This isn't exactly a run-of-the-mill scenario...  :o
Are you asking  from actually looking without success or something you just decided to do just bc you feel it's a new non related to other threads idea?
Depends what you call run of the mill. Many including myself have similar situations . Regardless this easily could've been asked and answered in mics cc thread.

Offline username

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2016, 09:52:14 AM »
Can you point me to a relevant existing thread?  This isn't exactly a run-of-the-mill scenario...  :o
Which is the best card to use? *Master Thread*

Looking to spend out of the country
$4600/month  at a pharmacy
$3900/month at a supermarket

Concerning the math, nobody here will actually calculate it for you, you need to sit down with a pencil and figure out yourself if the fees make it worthwhile. Once you make those calculations, and you may have further questions, ask away!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 09:56:23 AM by username »
^^^

Offline moe8555

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2016, 10:08:49 AM »
Now that the thread has been thoroughly taken off topic and commandeered, feel free to simply delete.  All I wanted to do was foster some good dialogue about a possible MS method in this part of the world (where very few MS methods exist), that might have actually been of use to many other people in this forum that frequently make it over here.
(written before the previous comment was posted)

Offline JTZ

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2016, 10:14:21 AM »
If you have a MS method for those outside the country then post it and we will try and help/improve on it. The problem is when you start the OP off with this:
I'm looking for advice about the best route to take for maximizing MS benefits in a hypothetical situation.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2016, 10:15:01 AM »
I didn't see any MS discussion. You had 2 questions:
A) Is spending in Israel a red flag
B) Which card with no forex has best rewards

Those are both exceedingly simple questions. Amazingly enough, it's not quite a unique situation.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline JTZ

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2016, 10:17:31 AM »

Those are both exceedingly simple questions. Amazingly enough, it's not quite a unique situation.
A - no
B - It depends on the type of rewards you are looking for
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline moe8555

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2016, 10:41:40 AM »

A) I absolutely did not ask anything even related to that matter in my original post.  It was one of the replies that took the thread in that direction.
B) Not precise.  What you're purporting is indeed a very easy question.  I was asking about the best card(s) to use in light of the fee situation, advice about which rewards scheme would be most lucrative even with the MS fees.  Then I mentioned that the SPG cards seemed like an interesting idea because of the 5k bonus + many transfer partners.  But I was hoping for advice about other interesting possibilities.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2016, 11:34:11 AM »
A) I absolutely did not ask anything even related to that matter in my original post.  It was one of the replies that took the thread in that direction.
B) Not precise.  What you're purporting is indeed a very easy question.  I was asking about the best card(s) to use in light of the fee situation, advice about which rewards scheme would be most lucrative even with the MS fees.  Then I mentioned that the SPG cards seemed like an interesting idea because of the 5k bonus + many transfer partners.  But I was hoping for advice about other interesting possibilities.
You still haven't "fostered" any discussion about MS in Israel. If you want to post about a possible MS opportunity and get members opinions on it then fine. If you're just asking about which cards would give the best rewards in certain categories with factoring in foreign exchange fees, then you could have asked it very simply in the "which is the best card to use" thread.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2016, 11:49:58 AM »
Interesting to note that the crotchety ones here complaining about how terrible things have become are all on the forums for a year or less.

Offline bendor

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2016, 01:57:34 PM »
Personally, I use my SPG card for just about everything in Israel, unless I'm trying to hit a signup bonus for a new card.

I assumed you've checked to see that the merchants code as you expect? I've had some makolot not show up as supermarkets before  :-[