Topic Wiki

Use this thread to offer donations or ask for them.

Please note this is not for organizations but rather for you or someone you know that personally needs tzedka.

When considering a cause, see http://mg.alhatorah.org/Vayikra/25.35 and pay special attention to Rashi!

"When he is well enough, he works; when he is incapacitated, his own people take care of him. And not in a poor and stingy way, but with a fine and large benevolence. His race is entitled to be called the most benevolent of all the races of men. A Jewish beggar is not impossible, perhaps; such a thing may exist, but there are few men that can say they have seen that spectacle. The Jew has been staged in many uncomplimentary forms, but, so far as I know, no dramatist has done him the injustice to stage him as a beggar. Whenever a Jew has real need to beg, his people save him from the necessity of doing it. The charitable institutions of the Jews are supported by Jewish money, and amply. The Jews make no noise about it; it is done quietly; they do not nag and pester and harass us for contributions; they give us peace, and set us an example — an example which we have not found ourselves able to follow; for by nature we are not free givers, and have to be patiently and persistently hunted down in the interest of the unfortunate."
-Mark Twain, Concerning the Jews (Harper's Monthly, 1899)
« Last edited by YitzyS on July 02, 2023, 09:55:28 PM »

Author Topic: Personal Tzadaka/Charity Master Thread  (Read 119724 times)

Offline AMH

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Platinum,Star Alliance Gold, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's circle, Europcar privilege Elite, Marriot Gold
Re: Personal Tzadaka/Charity Master Thread
« Reply #380 on: May 22, 2023, 11:31:02 AM »
👆 אהבת חינם

Offline AMH

• View Profile
  • Programs: UA Platinum,Star Alliance Gold, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's circle, Europcar privilege Elite, Marriot Gold
« Reply #381 on: May 22, 2023, 02:05:24 PM »
👆 אהבת חינם

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 26, 2023, 08:03:15 PM »
https://causematch.com/rabbieisemann

I really wanted to post this in the "Future of Lakewood" thread, but being that they are really deep in middle of a conversation there and I didn't want any of the popcorn to get on me, I'm taking the liberty to post this here, even though it's not a "personal" tzedakah request.

I got to know Rabbi Osher Eisemann through his legal case, and I'm very much involved in that front. Through that, I got to know a little about SCHI, and what it does. I learned that Rabbi Eisemann also runs a camp every summer, in order to give the families of special needs children a break from the constant burden of caring for the child. There is no getting away when you have a special needs child - you can't just send them to a friend and take a vacation. The never-ending care consumes the parent's and siblings lives, and a 4-week break in the summer can really give the family some time to rejuvenate, aside from the benefits to the child.

Rabbi Eisemann is running a campaign now to raise money to run the camp. What the campaign DOES NOT say (but I heard from his family) is that Rabbi Eisemann has not been able to fundraise himself the last few weeks because he has been extremely busy with his own special needs child, who was in the hospital.

I don't have any connection to SCHI, but I know Rabbi Eisemann, and being that he needs to raise $500k to run his camp, and he is not able to do the effective fundraising he needs to do now, I thought I would write up a post for DDF.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 27, 2023, 07:24:21 AM »
https://causematch.com/rabbieisemann

Tizku Lemitzvos! Aside from the zechus of helping the children and families, it will surely be a tremendous zechus that you helped to alleviate some of the financial burden on this bastion of Emunah, who remains a living mussar sefer 7 years after prosecutors turned his life upside down.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 02, 2023, 09:56:01 PM »
Added this stirring quote from Mark Twain to the wiki:

"When he is well enough, he works; when he is incapacitated, his own people take care of him. And not in a poor and stingy way, but with a fine and large benevolence. His race is entitled to be called the most benevolent of all the races of men. A Jewish beggar is not impossible, perhaps; such a thing may exist, but there are few men that can say they have seen that spectacle. The Jew has been staged in many uncomplimentary forms, but, so far as I know, no dramatist has done him the injustice to stage him as a beggar. Whenever a Jew has real need to beg, his people save him from the necessity of doing it. The charitable institutions of the Jews are supported by Jewish money, and amply. The Jews make no noise about it; it is done quietly; they do not nag and pester and harass us for contributions; they give us peace, and set us an example — an example which we have not found ourselves able to follow; for by nature we are not free givers, and have to be patiently and persistently hunted down in the interest of the unfortunate."

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 03, 2023, 10:26:42 AM »
A Jewish beggar is not impossible, perhaps; such a thing may exist, but there are few men that can say they have seen that spectacle.
Hmm this would seem a bit outdated based on the amount of knocks a day I get at my door.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 03, 2023, 06:33:34 PM »
Hmm this would seem a bit outdated based on the amount of knocks a day I get at my door.
I envision a beggar from the Mark Twain era as what we would call homeless today.

Offline mevinyavin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #387 on: July 04, 2023, 04:36:35 AM »
I envision a beggar from the Mark Twain era as what we would call homeless today.
Probably.
RYBs likes to quote the local tzedaka organizations regarding how they figure out when people need money. It isn't always obvious from the outside. He noted that Matan BSeser, the Israeli organization for Sanhedria Murchevet, checks to see if there is food in the fridge. (RYBs had to explain to them that this method is not a r'aya for American families, who may have a fridge full of food but not a penny to their name. In the end, the cultural divide was too great and he started his own kupah for foreigners, Keren Yotzei Chu"l.)
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 18, 2023, 08:13:52 AM »
https://www.rayze.it/csbcare/

This guy does mindblowing stuff. I know a blind talmid chochom who can run a normal Jewish life thanks to him. He makes him any sefer he needs in Braille, and he can sit and learn the whole day only because of CSB. They also print Braille Mishpacha magazines and Circle magazines and other such stuff.
Artscroll just interviewed him, and I just saw another fundraising video for him. Every time I see his stuff I'm impressed. I BH don't need his services, but I know a few people who do and it's lifechanging for them.

https://inside.artscroll.com/rabbi-nachum-lehman-seeing-is-believing/
and this:

Offline dasmo801

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 18, 2023, 09:50:39 AM »
Artscroll just interviewed him, and I just saw another fundraising video for him. Every time I see his stuff I'm impressed. I BH don't need his services, but I know a few people who do and it's lifechanging for them.

https://inside.artscroll.com/rabbi-nachum-lehman-seeing-is-believing/
and this:

+1000
There is a yid that I see in shul with ALS. He uses their eye tracking software to daven and learn. It is an amazing thing to see.

Agav, I used to be nispoel from watching this yid daven shemona esrei before he had ALS, a person who really understood what it means to be omed lifnei Hamelech.

Offline HELLSBURG

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: August 05, 2023, 10:19:32 PM »
https://www.gofundme.com/f/no-amount-too-small-help-your-neighbor

Help a fellow yid! A real tzaddik.
Even $1 will go a long way.

Tizku l'mitzvos.

Offline Saulius

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 19, 2023, 02:11:08 PM »
I see all the Jewish sites, ie matzav, yeshivaworld, vinnews, etc. have an tzedaka campaign for a person who is in prison in Madagascar for trying to smuggle tortoise.

https://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/promotions/2217264/a-father-of-small-children-detained-in-madagascar-for-many-weeks-among-hundreds-of-cruel-criminals-dangerous-and-antisemitic.html
https://matzav.com/a-father-of-small-children-detained-in-madagascar-for-many-weeks-among-hundreds-of-cruel-criminals-dangerous-and-antisemitic/

But the advertising campaign info is different than than what's being reported in the news. (Although, no doubt the person is going through hell in prison)

"Smuggling tortoises is considered a very serious offense in Madagascar, and the lawsuit eks to impose no less than 10 years of imprisonment and substantial monetary fines amounting to hundreds of thousands of dollars on Mr. R” The tortoises were discovered in Mr. R’s hand luggage by local customs officials. After the luggage went through an X-ray scan, and without Mr. R’ being aware that it was prohibited, since all he intended to do was to bring them for his young children after seeing these tortoises being sold in the market for traditional soup by locals.

Customs officials identified something suspicious, and when they opened the luggage, to their astonishment, they found the tortoises. Mr. R’ tried to explain to them that he is a plumber by professionand not a smuggler , and he wasn’t even aware that it’s forbidden to take tortoises out of Madagascar. He also didn’t try to hide them. He believed that as a non-local, he could take them for his children to see, and therefore he didn’t hide them and carried them in his hand luggage, leaving them in a compartment with air holes along with some food and an open lid. Nevertheless, their explanation was ignored, and they treated him with anti-Semitic and cruel behavior, treating him worse than murderers and serious criminals he was surrounded by. He lives in constant fear and real danger for his life!"

But the newspapers, they write that he was smuggling 59 turtoises to Thailand, each valued between $2,500 to $8,000.

https://www.ynetnews.com/environment/article/r10y6euon
https://www.ynetnews.com/article/h1me8kkin

So how could it be that he was taking it for his children to see? And if it's valued between $2,500 and $8,000 each. And do people really make traditional soup from toirtoises that are valued between $2,500 and $8,000 each?

Plus, the secular newspapes are reporting that he is a resident of Beitar Illit, but the charity is saying Bnei Brak?

Offline JMHO

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 20, 2023, 12:30:18 AM »
You're asking questions on JCN, YWN, etc?

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 20, 2023, 05:24:39 PM »
I see all the Jewish sites, ie matzav, yeshivaworld, vinnews, etc. have an tzedaka campaign for a person who is in prison in Madagascar for trying to smuggle tortoise.

https://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/promotions/2217264/a-father-of-small-children-detained-in-madagascar-for-many-weeks-among-hundreds-of-cruel-criminals-dangerous-and-antisemitic.html
https://matzav.com/a-father-of-small-children-detained-in-madagascar-for-many-weeks-among-hundreds-of-cruel-criminals-dangerous-and-antisemitic/

But the advertising campaign info is different than than what's being reported in the news. (Although, no doubt the person is going through hell in prison)

"Smuggling tortoises is considered a very serious offense in Madagascar, and the lawsuit eks to impose no less than 10 years of imprisonment and substantial monetary fines amounting to hundreds of thousands of dollars on Mr. R” The tortoises were discovered in Mr. R’s hand luggage by local customs officials. After the luggage went through an X-ray scan, and without Mr. R’ being aware that it was prohibited, since all he intended to do was to bring them for his young children after seeing these tortoises being sold in the market for traditional soup by locals.

Customs officials identified something suspicious, and when they opened the luggage, to their astonishment, they found the tortoises. Mr. R’ tried to explain to them that he is a plumber by professionand not a smuggler , and he wasn’t even aware that it’s forbidden to take tortoises out of Madagascar. He also didn’t try to hide them. He believed that as a non-local, he could take them for his children to see, and therefore he didn’t hide them and carried them in his hand luggage, leaving them in a compartment with air holes along with some food and an open lid. Nevertheless, their explanation was ignored, and they treated him with anti-Semitic and cruel behavior, treating him worse than murderers and serious criminals he was surrounded by. He lives in constant fear and real danger for his life!"

But the newspapers, they write that he was smuggling 59 turtoises to Thailand, each valued between $2,500 to $8,000.

So how could it be that he was taking it for his children to see? And if it's valued between $2,500 and $8,000 each. And do people really make traditional soup from toirtoises that are valued between $2,500 and $8,000 each?

Plus, the secular newspapes are reporting that he is a resident of Beitar Illit, but the charity is saying Bnei Brak?
I didn't read any of the news, but I know that the prison in Madagascar it's considered from the worst in the world.

Offline JMHO

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 20, 2023, 05:44:41 PM »
I didn't read any of the news, but I know that the prison in Madagascar it's considered from the worst in the world.
TR?

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 20, 2023, 05:55:37 PM »

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 27, 2023, 07:37:07 PM »

https://www.rationalistjudaism.com/p/the-turtle-prisoner

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 11, 2023, 07:12:32 PM »
This is not a personal tzadaka, but it's a personal request about tzadaka.

Agudah is running their campaign today and tomorrow. If anyone is planning on donating, my request is to do it on my friend's page. He's not a DDFer (yet), but I've run many DDF questions by him and he's always happy to answer. He's also a great overall guy, and I know that a number of DDFers know him personally.

He didn't ask me to post his page, but I know that he would appreciate if it didn't look so empty, so...

https://charidy.com/agudahnewjersey/SSchorr

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #398 on: September 18, 2023, 10:15:17 PM »
[Posted this on my status earlier]

You all know I never post campaigns on my status, but this is family.

Many of you donated generously when I first posted this campaign about a year ago, and BH with your help my aunt and uncle were able to save their house.

Unfortunately my uncle passed away a few weeks ago after a long battle with Parkinsons, and my aunt is now left alone with two adopted tenagers with Down syndrome and her two younger biological children. The family is straining mightily with massive bills, and trying to cover the children's physical and emotional needs as they struggle to get through the first yomim tovim without their father.

Anything you can help with will be greatly appreciated, and may it be a zechus for a גמר חתימה טובה and only simchos and happiness.

https://thechesedfund.com/congregationmesilashachesed/helpaspecialfamily/teams/moishyandrochelhersko

Thank you and תזכו למצוות!
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Suave

• DansDeals Developer
    • View Profile
    • SWIZU Web Development
  • Programs: Photoshop
« Reply #399 on: October 10, 2023, 09:41:06 AM »
From a close friend who is currently on the ground helping.

Currently in Jerusalem. My friends and I are first-handedly hosting displaced families from the surrounding cities of Gaza. We got access to a brand new seven bedroom Airbnb and are in need of funds to supply the space with food, toiletries and household supplies. Any financial assistance is greatly appreciated!
You can send money via zelle jenniferhande@gmail.com or venmo @perelhande
Description #charity for displaced families
Any unused funds will go directly to The One Family Fund (the organization that is placing the families here).
Tziku Lmitzvot!
DDMS Built with ♥ by SWIZU