Topic Wiki

Use this thread to offer donations or ask for them.

Please note this is not for organizations but rather for you or someone you know that personally needs tzedka.

When considering a cause, see http://mg.alhatorah.org/Vayikra/25.35 and pay special attention to Rashi!

"When he is well enough, he works; when he is incapacitated, his own people take care of him. And not in a poor and stingy way, but with a fine and large benevolence. His race is entitled to be called the most benevolent of all the races of men. A Jewish beggar is not impossible, perhaps; such a thing may exist, but there are few men that can say they have seen that spectacle. The Jew has been staged in many uncomplimentary forms, but, so far as I know, no dramatist has done him the injustice to stage him as a beggar. Whenever a Jew has real need to beg, his people save him from the necessity of doing it. The charitable institutions of the Jews are supported by Jewish money, and amply. The Jews make no noise about it; it is done quietly; they do not nag and pester and harass us for contributions; they give us peace, and set us an example — an example which we have not found ourselves able to follow; for by nature we are not free givers, and have to be patiently and persistently hunted down in the interest of the unfortunate."
-Mark Twain, Concerning the Jews (Harper's Monthly, 1899)
« Last edited by YitzyS on July 02, 2023, 09:55:28 PM »

Author Topic: Personal Tzadaka/Charity Master Thread  (Read 117190 times)

Offline Shmulie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Tzadaka Master Thread
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2017, 09:13:24 AM »
I mostly give anonymously. However it מצוה לפרסם עושי מצוה, and the main (or sole) reason for any attribution or publicity is in order to encourage more giving, it has been proven to work!

+1 I've seen it first hand

Offline JoeyShmoe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2017, 11:03:47 AM »
I was thinking it would be a good idea to create a(nother) tzedaka website.
The point of it would be to be a central platform for all the "big" organizations that people like donating to.
Advantages:
It would be commission free- so 100% of the money will go to tzedaka (so people don't need to worry that 49% is going to some fundraiser).
It would have a "sign in" option- which would keep track of the total money you donated to all campaigns- to help with you maaser calculations,
It would consolidate all your tzedaka giving (even the small amounts at a time) into one tax deductible receipt.
(It can also keep track of all moneys raised for each campaign- and make special incentives at certain milestones...)

Does anyone think this would be a good idea?
And would anyone with computer skills be willing to "donate" time to help create this?
I might be interested in putting together something like this, but it would have to be able to somehow tie into The Chesed Fund since at the moment it's the leading website for Online Charity
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline menachem

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2017, 11:18:41 AM »
Whoever this was, thank you very much!

From campaign page;
ANONYMOUS DONATED
1 hour ago $500.00
In honor of DDF (and a very special member)

I mostly give anonymously. However it מצוה לפרסם עושי מצוה, and the main (or sole) reason for any attribution or publicity is in order to encourage more giving, it has been proven to work!

Chevra, we can do it! Give an inspire others to give!

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2017, 12:02:31 PM »
It wasn't explained well enough. $320k is a lot of money
Is it?

Life insurance companies don't necessarily think so. They don't want to insure people for more than they are worth alive, so they set financial underwriting guidelines. GIYF.

See a few examples below, and pay attention to how they look at non-working spouse:

https://www.sunnet.sunlife.com/files/advisor/english/PDF/810-3877.pdf
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/52a53e3de4b0d9959707caee/t/568c0010c21b86066aedf286/1452015632089/financial-underwriting-guidelines.pdf
http://www.resourcebrokerage.com/pdfs/la/underwriting-guides-2015/special/Non-Working-Spouse-Oct2014.pdf
http://www.genre.com/knowledge/publications/bulletinlh1412-en.html

It seems to be that at the surviving husband's age, the guideline is about 15x income, and for a non-working spouse companies vary between 50% to 100% of working spouse insurable amount. This is what they consider reasonable, without taking into account our lifestyle, which could easily justify larger amounts.

Also read: http://www.cbn.com/finance/scalici_spouseinsurance.aspx

Most importantly, I will refer you to this. Pay special attention to Rashi!!!!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 12:06:20 PM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2017, 12:22:47 PM »
Thank you Menachem and especially, exGingi for your efforts. May you be rewarded min Hashamyim with all good, always.

Offline Let3

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2017, 12:41:37 PM »
I might be interested in putting together something like this, but it would have to be able to somehow tie into The Chesed Fund since at the moment it's the leading website for Online Charity
You have any contacts at thechesedfund ?

Offline JoeyShmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2017, 12:45:51 PM »
Unfortunately, no
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2017, 12:56:59 PM »
The point of it would be to be a central platform for all the "big" organizations that people like donating to.
Advantages:
It would be commission free- so 100% of the money will go to tzedaka (so people don't need to worry that 49% is going to some fundraiser).
It would have a "sign in" option- which would keep track of the total money you donated to all campaigns- to help with you maaser calculations,
It would consolidate all your tzedaka giving (even the small amounts at a time) into one tax deductible receipt.
(It can also keep track of all moneys raised for each campaign- and make special incentives at certain milestones...)

And would anyone with computer skills be willing to "donate" time to help create this?

This might be a good idea. I personally am a big believer in giving tzedaka mostly to Yeshivos and other causes focused on Jewish education.

The concept you are talking about can be accomplished by using a Donor Advised Fund (you hear them advertised around tax season all the time), though you probably wouldn't be able to do CC donations.
-- Dan

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2017, 12:57:14 PM »
Email them. They're nice.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2017, 12:57:48 PM »
Email them. They're nice.
They must be, if Chesed is their name!
-- Dan

Offline Pinreb

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2017, 02:28:44 PM »
Advantages:

There's a company called OJC Fund, ( www.ojcfund.org ) they do charge you for their service but it's very convenient to keep track on everything.
Not sure if your looking for something like that.

Offline Let3

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2017, 03:14:03 PM »
There's a company called OJC Fund, ( www.ojcfund.org ) they do charge you for their service but it's very convenient to keep track on everything.
Not sure if your looking for something like that.
right, I remember seeing st like this.
I thought Yeshivas used to offer this, and take a 10% cut for the yeshivah... but then I haven't seen it in a while...
(I heard this system works well in London)

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2017, 03:28:35 PM »
right, I remember seeing st like this.
I thought Yeshivas used to offer this, and take a 10% cut for the yeshivah... but then I haven't seen it in a while...
(I heard this system works well in London)
Looks like this is a Donor Advised Fund, with the major difference between this one and other public ones being that it seems to be run by Heimishe people.

With a Donor Advised Fund, when you deposit money, you get a deduction, you make "recommendations" for distributions (which the fund is required to make as a percentage of the assets on an annual basis IINM) up to the amount you deposited. In the meantime, the money that you deposited is invested until distributed. Anything left over after your 120, goes to the fund to distribute to the charity of their choice. They also charge a small fee going in http://www.ojcfund.org/fees.html.
-- Dan

Offline menachem

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2017, 04:50:12 PM »
Please encourage anyone you know to to the same (no need to mention my DDF name. I wasn't the first to post about this worthy cause here. I think it's a good idea if anyone that gives because they saw it here would write in honor of DDF or in honor of Dansdeals, so we can show the power and friendship of this community).

I personally reached out to friends, family & acquaintances about this campaign (cost me a little bit of my time), and saw the immediate results - they donated!

Please, I can't stress the importance, help out this family in dire need, a lot more money is needed to be raised and this campaign is the only opportunity to help them financially!!

https://thechesedfund.com/cause/friedns-for-dvorahle

Thank you to all those that have already donated! ממנו יראו וכן יעשו!!

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2017, 05:08:19 PM »
I personally reached out to friends, family & acquaintances about this campaign (cost me a little bit of my time), and saw the immediate results - they donated!
Have been doing the same. Besides for sending a broadcast whatsapp (which TheChesedFund made easy for me after I completed my contribution), I followed up with personal calls, approaching friends in Shul and on the street, and following up with them to make sure it happens.

I will admit that this campaign created a new level of awareness for me! As I mentioned somewhere around here, I personally favor giving to Yeshivos or anything else that has to do with Jewish Education, and always told myself that for most people its not like that, and a lot more people come together to help in case of a tragedy like this.

This specific story, with whatever details I happen to know, has changed my perspective. While I might not give as much time, money and effort as I have in this case, I don't think that after this one I will be able to easily ignore such campaigns. I might give a small amount (unfortunately there are so many such causes) or a larger one, depending on my ability at the time and how I feel. But I will always try to do it bl"n בסבר פנים יפות, and reject any thoughts of "this is not really needed" or anything of the like.

Please, I can't stress the importance, help out this family in dire need, a lot more money is needed to be raised and this campaign is the only opportunity to help them financially!!

https://thechesedfund.com/cause/friedns-for-dvorahle

Thank you to all those that have already donated! ממנו יראו וכן יעשו!!
I heard the following story during the Shiva:

A young woman passed away in Montreal, it was a big tragedy, and there was a huge crowd at the levaya (I don't know if this followed an illness or anything else, didn't get those details).

At the Levaya, the young woman's father came to the mike, tried a few times to start speaking, but had great difficulty uttering even one word. He finally managed to muster some emotional strength and said the following: "I am extremely touched by how the entire community came together now. I wish we wouldn't need a tragedy in order to come to each other's help" and then he stepped down.

PLEASE, let's be kind to each other, let's not wait for tragedies to happen. Let's try to always help, and try to be aware as to where it is needed, with the attitude Rashbi had (שבת לג סע"ב).
-- Dan

Offline chulent613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2017, 07:55:54 PM »
Donated

Offline emjee

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2017, 07:47:49 AM »

Donated . May you always be in the position to help others . Tizku l'mitzvos

Offline menachem

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2017, 03:27:40 PM »

Donated . May you always be in the position to help others . Tizku l'mitzvos

Thank you! Amen!

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2017, 03:46:28 PM »
I personally am a big believer in giving tzedaka mostly to Yeshivos and other causes focused on Jewish education.

I will admit that this campaign created a new level of awareness for me! As I mentioned somewhere around here, I personally favor giving to Yeshivos or anything else that has to do with Jewish Education, and always told myself that for most people its not like that, and a lot more people come together to help in case of a tragedy like this.
Ikar mitzva of tzedaka is עניים, Not to take away from other worthy causes, or the טובת הנאה of the fiver, but definitely worth keeping in mind.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2017, 04:02:35 PM »
Ikar mitzva of tzedaka is עניים, Not to take away from other worthy causes, or the טובת הנאה of the fiver, but definitely worth keeping in mind.
I can explain my (strongly held) position regarding this, but it goes beyond the scope of this forum. טובת הנאה is not a consideration.

ETA: see attached.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 05:36:48 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan