Author Topic: XP/Vista/Ubuntu  (Read 25120 times)

Offline Eli

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
XP/Vista/Ubuntu
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2008, 01:42:06 AM »
funny how all this was posted in the "wanna get more posts" thread but it can actually be a good topic of the upsides and downsides of ubuntu vs xp/vista. i personally have been using vista for about 18 months now and i love it. someone made a comment before and he was right, that the ppl who were complaining simply didn't have the power to run it.
-Eli

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
XP/Vista/Ubuntu
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2008, 01:46:09 AM »
someone made a comment before and he was right, that the ppl who were complaining simply didn't have the power to run it.
Or the people who have the power to run it but have run into various bugs or problems.

Regardless, the very fact that you need the latest and greatest machine just to run the OS is a problem in of itself.

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
XP/Vista/Ubuntu
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2008, 02:00:22 AM »
True. but i also used vlite and my installation of vista ultimate with SP1 integrated fully registered and activated on any dell, fits on a 1GB USB key. so there are ways of having vista without it being a resource hog.
-Eli

Offline Yitzter

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
XP/Vista/Ubuntu
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2008, 02:00:52 AM »
Or the people who have the power to run it but have run into various bugs or problems.

Regardless, the very fact that you need the latest and greatest machine just to run the OS is a problem in of itself.

True, and thats why there is XP. I will admit that vista was one big fluke and thats why microsoft is coming out with Windows 7 sometime in the next two years.

Nevertheless, those that DO have powerful machines can run vista very smoothly. Besides, there are many tweaks to tone down vista and I've done them and it works pretty damn well,

XP with SP3 is a great OS. But we've all gotta move on. If you remember when XP came out, everyone was bashing it right and left. "98 Is much better, why go to XP, it has so many bugs." And now look at it.

It just comes to prove my point that people are always going to bash the newest OS and say their old one is fine. Technology is advancing and so should we.
"There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things

Offline whYME

• View Profile
XP/Vista/Ubuntu
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2008, 02:15:49 AM »
I actually happened to buy a computer on the day xp was released. I know I personally always liked it much better than 2000 (I guess 98 wasn't terrible if you dont mind restarting every 20 minutes). I don't recall there being very much resistance to xp.
sure it had it's bugs and it took them some time to work out the kinks etc. but it was a major improvement over the previous versions.

At this point I just don't see any compelling reason to switch.
what's the big advantage of vista over xp? some cool visual effects? I think at this point the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
XP/Vista/Ubuntu
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2008, 02:28:30 AM »
Well if you do graphics or play games, it's got DX10 which is a pretty cool thing. Plus it has some cool features. Granted the indexing service sucks. Nevertheless you can work out the kinks, the same way you did to XP. If you know how to tweak the OS then your pretty much set.

Btw, XP Sucked when it came out, BSOD's gone wild! Then with the service packs it evolved into a great OS.
"There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things

Offline whYME

• View Profile
XP/Vista/Ubuntu
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2008, 03:06:50 AM »
I guess it depends on your point of reference. mine was windows 98, and let me tell you, it was horrible.

I personally didn't have any BSOD problems.

I'm not saying vista is terrible. I'm just saying I dont see much of an advantage over xp so for me there's no reason to upgrade at this point.

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
XP/Vista/Ubuntu
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2008, 03:10:20 AM »
I guess it depends on your point of reference. mine was windows 98, and let me tell you, it was horrible.

I personally didn't have any BSOD problems.

I'm not saying vista is terrible. I'm just saying I dont see much of an advantage over xp so for me there's no reason to upgrade at this point.
Your right, there is no point in upgrading if you already have xp running great. But I just can't stand the people that have crappy laptops and complain that vista sucks. Be happy with what you have, that's the main thing.

And tweak it a little. :-)

Offline whYME

• View Profile
XP/Vista/Ubuntu
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2008, 03:33:17 AM »
oh well, I'm upgraded to 8.04 "Hardy"  and I think I played with compiz-fusion enough for now, I think I'm going to hit the sack...

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
XP/Vista/Ubuntu
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2008, 03:44:09 AM »
Alright, take care man.

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
XP/Vista/Ubuntu
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2008, 03:44:21 AM »
I hope you enjoyed yourself.

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
XP/Vista/Ubuntu
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2008, 09:57:51 AM »

Vista is terrible.
This it unless you like buying all new printers and programs because none of them are compatible with Vista.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
Re: XP/Vista/Ubuntu
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2008, 02:50:09 PM »
Vista is terrible.
This it unless you like buying all new printers and programs because none of them are compatible with Vista.
Naturally older products wont work, it's like saying my 15 yr old battery won't fit in my new laptop.

Technology changes and therefore previous tech becomes obsolete. That's the way of the world. And it's not worth it for the companys to make new drivers for the older printers, because they can just charge you to buy a new one.

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2008, 03:39:41 PM »
Ubuntu for the win!

Nah seriously tho, Vista is great for common tasks, such as web browsing, music management, pictures, office apps, etc... Basically, if you're a teen-aged girl who only knows how to do the same 5 things on your computer, that should be fine.

But when you try to do anything hard-core, you WILL get into problems that need to be worked out.
Examples: My matrox real-time editing cards wasn't recognized by Premeire because vista blocked access to the hardware from software layers as a security issue. You can work this out with some tweaks, but I'm told it will never work quite the same until you go back to XP.
I'm also very involved in embedded development, specifically spending alot of my time on HTC phones and their firmware. I've had Vista lock directories on me many times when building firmwares and have to do all kinds of things to make my software talk to the com port properly.
Can you make Vista work properly? YES! But you have to jump through hoops and take many additional steps to do so. Steps you wouldn't have had to take with XP. So why is it worth bothering?

In fact, Microsoft KNOWS vista isn't as solid an offering as they had hoped, and despite the fact that they are pushing Vista down everyone's throats, they admit that business users (who need stability and support for legacy configurations) will prefer XP. That's why, for the first time in MS history that I know of, MS is actually secretly offering free downgrade rights to XP for Vista users.
http://news.cnet.com/The-XP-alternative-for-Vista-PCs/2100-1016_3-6209481.html
That's right, if you have Vista Ulimate or Business, you can put an XP CD in, and when it prompts for a  reg code, you can call MS and they will give  you a reg number free of charge. They never gave away older versions for free before, and back in the windows ME days, they made you buy an additional license for 98 if ME was too buggy for you.

This should be proof enough that even MS admits Vista isn't ready for everyone.
To those who say XP was buggy at first too... it was never this bad. XP was actually one of the first solid OS's MS released that was decent from the start.
Vista is more like Windows ME all over again, which was a disaster. Here's to hoping Windows 7 gets it right.

If I didn't use applications that required a Windows environment, I'd be using Ubuntu exclusively... but that's a matter of preference. For now, XP is the only logical choice for me.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 03:48:39 PM by Mordy »
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2008, 04:06:16 PM »
In addition to the free downgrades, Mordy, Dell found a loophole in Vista's Licensing Agreement which allows them to continue selling XP on computers as long as it's vista capable and with a Vista upgrade option, even though MS is not allowing it after June 30th (date may be wrong).

Pretty Cool. Kudos to Dell. I love them. Even though many people hate Dell, I will continue to stand by their side. I've gone through the 700m to the 710m and now to the M1210. I've purchased about $200,000 worth of hardware from Dell (purchasing for my company of course) and they've never failed with warranty support or customer service. Ya they screwed up when they outsourced to India, but that's why I have Gold support and XPS support with guaranteed on-shore agents.

When I bought my laptop it was fully loaded but that was almost 2 years ago. I've decked it out now. I went from 2GB RAM to 4GB RAM, from a 60GB 7200RPM HD to a 200GB 7200RPM with 16MB cache and free-fall sensor, from a Wireless a/b/g card to a Wireless N, from built in Verizon which wasn't activated to a built-in Sprint card which my life depends on (I built it in myself if anyone needs help let me know). The only thing is I'm still stuck with a Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo) 2.0 Ghz processor. That should be no problem once I call Dell Tech Support and have them send me a new free upgraded processor "for my troubles" like they did with the N card.

Dell XPS RULES!
-Eli

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2008, 04:25:41 PM »
In addition to the free downgrades, Mordy, Dell found a loophole in Vista's Licensing Agreement which allows them to continue selling XP on computers as long as it's vista capable and with a Vista upgrade option, even though MS is not allowing it after June 30th (date may be wrong).

Pretty Cool. Kudos to Dell. I love them. Even though many people hate Dell, I will continue to stand by their side. I've gone through the 700m to the 710m and now to the M1210. I've purchased about $200,000 worth of hardware from Dell (purchasing for my company of course) and they've never failed with warranty support or customer service. Ya they screwed up when they outsourced to India, but that's why I have Gold support and XPS support with guaranteed on-shore agents.

When I bought my laptop it was fully loaded but that was almost 2 years ago. I've decked it out now. I went from 2GB RAM to 4GB RAM, from a 60GB 7200RPM HD to a 200GB 7200RPM with 16MB cache and free-fall sensor, from a Wireless a/b/g card to a Wireless N, from built in Verizon which wasn't activated to a built-in Sprint card which my life depends on (I built it in myself if anyone needs help let me know). The only thing is I'm still stuck with a Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo) 2.0 Ghz processor. That should be no problem once I call Dell Tech Support and have them send me a new free upgraded processor "for my troubles" like they did with the N card.

Dell XPS RULES!

I love dell. I had the HP and I didn't like the build quality.

Mordy. I already said the Vista is a fluke and that MS agrees with it, thats why they said that we should be seeing windows 7 beta as soon as next year.

I agree that XP Rocks, the thing is, that when people downgrade they sometimes have to find drivers which are not OEM and therefore the system doesn't really improve that much. I tried XP with my XPS and got drivers from all over the place. It wasn't faster then Vista. The thing that XP WILL give you is more compatibility with programs and such. (like you said)

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2008, 04:28:23 PM »
All in all, Ubnutu rules. You have complete control of your system and that's the main thing. Plus I love the open source stuff. I am currently learning c# and I respect the people that put hard work into a program and don't charge for it.

Linux is a very powerful OS, you just have to learn how to utilize it.

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2008, 07:50:57 PM »
Naturally older products wont work, it's like saying my 15 yr old battery won't fit in my new laptop.

Technology changes and therefore previous tech becomes obsolete. That's the way of the world. And it's not worth it for the companys to make new drivers for the older printers, because they can just charge you to buy a new one.

No, Its like saying that my brand new printer purchased a year ago and the Corporate Symantec Edition also bought last year were now obsolete and there is no way to have it work with Vista.

This is why Vista Sucks.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2008, 09:35:48 PM »
No, Its like saying that my brand new printer purchased a year ago and the Corporate Symantec Edition also bought last year were now obsolete and there is no way to have it work with Vista.

This is why Vista Sucks.
First off, symantec sucks anyway. And I am sure if you look in the right places you can find a driver for your printer.

It's not that vista sucks. Your just having a driver issue. Many people have that problem. When XP came out, most of the 98 stuff (printers etc) Wouldn't work with it. It's got nothing to do with vista. It's actually the printer company at fault. Most good companys that have hardware usually update their drivers and make them compatible with a newer OS, it's not like flying to the moon you know.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 09:37:44 PM by Yitzter »

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2008, 09:40:26 PM »
First off, symantec sucks anyway.
I second that. I was using Symantec Corporate for years until I decided it was slowing down my system like crazy. I now use AVG 8.0 (recently upgraded from 7.5. Choose 7.5 if you want the free version), and I'm very happy with it.
-Eli