Author Topic: Bluebird won't return money for my uncleared check!  (Read 2525 times)

Offline aswami

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Bluebird won't return money for my uncleared check!
« on: December 10, 2016, 10:20:46 PM »
Beware of making check payments through Bluebird. They have a weird system wherein they deduct your account even before the payee deposits your check. They don't have a "stop check payment" option. And, they won't return your payment even if it shows on their own system that the check did not clear.

Here's my story:

1. On Sept 17th, sent a check for $420 through Bluebird Pay Bill option. The merchant never received the check. As Bluebird online system shows the check never cleared (see screenshot below). However, Bluebird deducted $420 from my account.

2. On Oct 5th, I called Bluebird to stop the payment on that check. They did not have a "stop check payment" option. Instead, they disputed the charge. Meanwhile, I sent a second check for $420 to the merchant. He did receive this check, and the Bluebird online system shows the check cleared (see screenshot below).

3. I have called Bluebird at least half a dozen times, I have opened the case 4 times with them. 3 times, they refunded the amount to me. A few days later, they take the amount back from my account claiming that the merchant did receive the payment. The last time, on Nov 22nd, they even sent an email saying that, "After completing our review on your behalf, we are pleased to let you know that your account has been credited $420.00. This case is now closed." But two days ago, on Dec 8th, they deducted $420 again from my account.

This has been incredibly frustrating. Each time I call customer service, they just open a payment dispute case. They say that they can't see the same view of my transaction which I see, showing that the check did not clear! Incredible as it may seem, the customer service people are simply not able to see the same info that the customer sees, and verify that the check did not clear! They claim there is nothing else they can do other than opening a dispute. Each time, I ask to talk to someone else, they claim that they checked with the merchant and he told them that he did receive the payment. I have talked to the merchant and he told them clearly that he did not receive the payment for Sept 17th, but he received the second payment from Oct 5th. But Bluebird customer service and dispute resolution department simply does not seem to understand or care. Meanwhile, my $420 is stuck with them for 3 months now! I have no idea what to do from here to get someone to actually solve this issue for me.

Offline aswami

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Bluebird won't return money for my uncleared check!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 10:39:23 PM »
Tweeted @AskAmex:

https://twitter.com/swamiaravind/status/807789276901449728

https://twitter.com/swamiaravind/status/807789579734372352

https://twitter.com/swamiaravind/status/807790200361390080

Anything else I can do to get the vaunted American Express customer service? The difference in the customer service experience between Amex credit cards and Amex Bluebird is like night and day. Even the audio quality, the tone of the customer service agents and their politeness varies!

Offline sillypainter

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 10:54:27 PM »
With Chase for example, after 6 months they auto credit checks that weren't deposited.

Offline aswami

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 12:50:38 AM »
With Chase for example, after 6 months they auto credit checks that weren't deposited.

Thank you. I hope Bluebird has a similar system.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 01:02:05 AM »
Beware of making check payments through Bluebird. They have a weird system wherein they deduct your account even before the payee deposits your check. They don't have a "stop check payment" option. And, they won't return your payment even if it shows on their own system that the check did not clear.

Here's my story:

1. On Sept 17th, sent a check for $420 through Bluebird Pay Bill option. The merchant never received the check. As Bluebird online system shows the check never cleared (see screenshot below). However, Bluebird deducted $420 from my account.

2. On Oct 5th, I called Bluebird to stop the payment on that check. They did not have a "stop check payment" option. Instead, they disputed the charge. Meanwhile, I sent a second check for $420 to the merchant. He did receive this check, and the Bluebird online system shows the check cleared (see screenshot below).

3. I have called Bluebird at least half a dozen times, I have opened the case 4 times with them. 3 times, they refunded the amount to me. A few days later, they take the amount back from my account claiming that the merchant did receive the payment. The last time, on Nov 22nd, they even sent an email saying that, "After completing our review on your behalf, we are pleased to let you know that your account has been credited $420.00. This case is now closed." But two days ago, on Dec 8th, they deducted $420 again from my account.

This has been incredibly frustrating. Each time I call customer service, they just open a payment dispute case. They say that they can't see the same view of my transaction which I see, showing that the check did not clear! Incredible as it may seem, the customer service people are simply not able to see the same info that the customer sees, and verify that the check did not clear! They claim there is nothing else they can do other than opening a dispute. Each time, I ask to talk to someone else, they claim that they checked with the merchant and he told them that he did receive the payment. I have talked to the merchant and he told them clearly that he did not receive the payment for Sept 17th, but he received the second payment from Oct 5th. But Bluebird customer service and dispute resolution department simply does not seem to understand or care. Meanwhile, my $420 is stuck with them for 3 months now! I have no idea what to do from here to get someone to actually solve this issue for me.
I would have the recipient email them a copy of the check that he did receive..

Offline aswami

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 11:22:50 AM »
Incredibly, Amex customer service (@askamex) can't help in this matter. Apparently, they don't deal with Bluebird issues. They want me to directly call Bluebird, which I have been doing every 2-3 weeks for the past 2 month!

Here's what Amex customer service says: https://twitter.com/swamiaravind/status/807956126281019393

I understand that Bluebird is a different product from Amex. But the way Amex treats this and the way Bluebird customer service is, it feels like two totally different companies!

Offline aswami

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 11:24:29 AM »
Anyone know of any other way that I can escalate this issue with Amex?

I have no confidence that Bluebird can resolve this issue for me by doing the same thing they have been doing over and over for the past two months - open a ticket, give me a refund, deduct my bank account again, close the ticket!

Offline Cheesecake

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 11:30:31 AM »

I have no confidence that Bluebird can resolve this issue for me by doing the same thing they have been doing over and over for the past two months - open a ticket, give me a refund, deduct my bank account again, close the ticket!
Can you disconnect your Bluebird account from your bank account after getting the money?

Offline kangarruu

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 12:41:03 PM »

CFPB

/end