Poll

Is Global warming real and are humans significantly contributing to it?

Not Real
9 (12.2%)
Real + Significant Human Contribution
19 (25.7%)
Real But No Significant Human Contribution
13 (17.6%)
Unsure
4 (5.4%)
It's a moot point everything is up to Hashem
29 (39.2%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: global warming- what's your take?  (Read 42332 times)

Offline Luvtotravel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
global warming- what's your take?
« on: December 06, 2016, 04:11:53 PM »
I'm compiling a lesson on global warming and am having a hard time portraying both views on the matter. now that trump is elected, shouldn't there be more studies or infographics pointing toward climate change being a hoax? anyone have any leads?
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: global warming- what's your take?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 11:44:17 PM »
I'm compiling a lesson on global warming and am having a hard time portraying both views on the matter. now that trump is elected, shouldn't there be more studies or infographics pointing toward climate change being a hoax? anyone have any leads?
Curious - what did you end up compiling? Has anything changed in the 4.5 years since you posted this? Asking seriously...

Offline JlmBoi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 05:09:30 AM »
Check out Bjorn Lomborg.
The chiddush of DDF is the way Dan Deals with all us crazies 🤪

Offline M218

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 10:36:03 AM »
Curious - what did you end up compiling? Has anything changed in the 4.5 years since you posted this? Asking seriously...
The only thing that changed is, this thread is now getting warmer.

Offline justaregularguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 03:16:48 PM »
im the first one to vote!
anyway its not fair bc really the last option is correct and everyone here shud choose it
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline Jellybelly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 04:04:31 PM »
I think we deserve another stimulus now due to global warming!

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 04:10:07 PM »
I think if we get enough people to vote for the first option, we may be able to lure @CountValentine back to DDF to counter the claim...

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 07:13:13 PM »
Not sure why the sarcasm. Climate change is as good of a plausible contributing factor as all the other factors mentioned above. This is an issue that the insurance industry has been grappling with and taking action on in the last decade. Example, the company I work for will not underwrite an exposure on the FL coastline. NY DFS even issued regulatory guidelines for all insurance companies on managing the financial risks that stem from climate change https://www.dfs.ny.gov/industry_guidance/climate_change
I have not come across anybody in the industry that does not think that climate change isn't real ( im not getting in to the man-made political stuff)
In my experience (I worked for a large insurance company), insurance companies have really started to factor in climate change into their risk models. This is what I think changed over the past 4.5 years - corporations are seriously considering climate change when doing medium-long term projections.

I'm not sure why so many people I know just dismiss it out of hand, e.g. like how it's not factored in when people from the frum community discuss moving to Florida.

There are strong opinions on both sides, but I just don't understand why people aren't erring on the side of the seemingly vast majority, that climate change is real and should be factored into your personal medium-long term plans (hishtadlus etc.). I personally don't know whom to believe, but I keep it in mind when thinking about the future (and davening!).

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 07:45:36 PM »
In my experience (I worked for a large insurance company), insurance companies have really started to factor in climate change into their risk models. This is what I think changed over the past 4.5 years - corporations are seriously considering climate change when doing medium-long term projections.

I'm not sure why so many people I know just dismiss it out of hand, e.g. like how it's not factored in when people from the frum community discuss moving to Florida.

There are strong opinions on both sides, but I just don't understand why people aren't erring on the side of the seemingly vast majority, that climate change is real and should be factored into your personal medium-long term plans (hishtadlus etc.). I personally don't know whom to believe, but I keep it in mind when thinking about the future (and davening!).
Considering that even casting doubt on some of the supposed effects of climate change can get your censored, I highly doubt this is the case once you remove the political aspect.

https://youtu.be/_yn1MQjF5gs
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 07:56:32 PM »
Considering that even casting doubt on some of the supposed effects of climate change can get your censored, I highly doubt this is the case once you remove the political aspect.

https://youtu.be/_yn1MQjF5gs
How do you reconcile that with many (most?) major corporations factoring in climate change?

Offline Jellybelly

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 08:04:34 PM »
How do you reconcile that with many (most?) major corporations factoring in climate change?
Easy, either they’re woke or they’re scared of those who are

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2021, 08:14:08 PM »
Because in that “censored” video, the hosts readily acknowledge the reality and effects of climate change. Everyone in the field (and related fields) does. They just aren’t sure of the depth of impact, the causes, and the best prevention methods.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2021, 08:15:11 PM »
Easy, either they’re woke or they’re scared of those who are
Right, actuaries at insurance companies are factoring information they believe to be false into their modeling because they’re trying to be “woke”.

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2021, 08:26:30 PM »
Right, actuaries at insurance companies are factoring information they believe to be false into their modeling because they’re trying to be “woke”.

Or they are relying on science that is produced under circumstances that does not allow for the honest and open minded consideration of the facts.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2021, 08:32:25 PM »
Or they are relying on science that is produced under circumstances that does not allow for the honest and open minded consideration of the facts.

I don't think there are problems with most of the science. The issue is more in the interpretations of the science. It's been hijacked by activists who misuse and misconstrue the data to fit their narrative.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2021, 08:38:08 PM »
Lots of hacktivists in this field, but I definitely won't go against cost effective steps to reduce air and water pollution.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2021, 08:41:49 PM »
Who do you believe is more likely to investigate and see if the science on this is credible, a large corporation that depends on this information to formulate profitable policies or someone on the internet?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2021, 08:45:09 PM »
Do you believe there are a number of scientists who deny the existence of climate change patterns?

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2021, 08:46:49 PM »
Who do you believe is more likely to investigate and see if the science on this is credible, a large corporation that depends on this information to formulate profitable policies or someone on the internet?

Depends... is the guy on the internet a DDFer?
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2021, 08:48:37 PM »
I don't think there are problems with most of the science. The issue is more in the interpretations of the science. It's been hijacked by activists who misuse and misconstrue the data to fit their narrative.
Shades of covid