Author Topic: AJK's Maui And Big Island 2016 TR  (Read 30957 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
AJK's Maui And Big Island 2016 TR
« on: December 15, 2016, 01:18:07 PM »
So, due to an AAgent error of epic proportions (story for another day), I scrapped the above MLE trip and went to OGG/OTI instead.

Using Biz Plat promo, booked DL J A330 both ways for about 100K RT p/p.  What a perk.  Earned miles and didn't have to search for non-existent availability three days before departure.  Stayed at Andaz and Waldorf.  Service at Andaz was incredible. No sooner did I ask for a POM meal and hang up the phone was there a knock on the door (we bought a toaster oven at WM).  Almost to the point where we said, it's impossible it can be what we just asked for, but it was.  Upgraded to a very large suite at Waldorf where the pools are just insane, with a "water elevator."  When we landed in OGG, we found out the volcano was active on TBI, we we booked a quick flight over for a sunset walk, spent the night and came back to OGG.  Active lava flow into the ocean is truly one of the most incredible things we've been fortunate enough to see.  Also -- sunrise at Haleakala was as magical as people say. A must do. And so is the 30 mile bike ride down!

Later I'll share a video of the ocean entry lava flow, but for now, here's a pic.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 01:26:56 PM by Dan »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Re: AJK's Trip/Route Planning Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 01:20:34 PM »
Wow! You just went to TBI for a day? Where'd you fly into and stay overnight? Here's hoping the ocean entry is still happening next month.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 01:21:32 PM »
Pic from North Maui:

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dawie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 01:22:03 PM »
So, due to an AAgent error of epic proportions (story for another day), I scrapped the above MLE trip and went to OGG/OTI instead.

Using Biz Plat promo, booked DL J A330 both ways for about 100K RT p/p.  What a perk.  Earned miles and didn't have to search for non-existent availability three days before departure.  Stayed at Andaz and Waldorf.  Service at Andaz was incredible. No sooner did I ask for a POM meal and hang up the phone was there a knock on the door (we bought a toaster oven at WM).  Almost to the point where we said, it's impossible it can be what we just asked for, but it was.  Upgraded to a very large suite at Waldorf where the pools are just insane, with a "water elevator."  When we landed in OGG, we found out the volcano was active on TBI, we we booked a quick flight over for a sunset walk, spent the night and came back to OGG.  Active lava flow into the ocean is truly one of the most incredible things we've been fortunate enough to see.  Also -- sunrise at Haleakala was as magical as people say. A must do. And so is the 30 mile bike ride down!

Later I'll share a video of the ocean entry lava flow, but for now, here's a pic.
Wow !

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 01:23:50 PM »
Ho'okipa Beach:

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 01:24:39 PM »
The *other* side of Olivine Pools:

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 01:24:43 PM »

Full TR please in a dedicated thread.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 01:24:47 PM »
How did you end up finding availability at the Andaz?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 01:26:06 PM »
Epic sunset at Wailea Beach:

Offline Dawie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 01:26:33 PM »
Full TR please in a dedicated thread.
in which decade

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: AJK's Maui And Big Island 2016 TR
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 01:27:16 PM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
Re: AJK's Trip/Route Planning Thread
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 01:27:35 PM »
Sunrise above the clouds, Haleakala Summit

Offline AJK

• View Profile
Re: AJK's Trip/Route Planning Thread
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 01:28:51 PM »
Sleeping turtle, Wailea Beach:

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 01:29:09 PM »
Done  ;D
Abusive use of mod powers.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline CZ60

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 01:33:10 PM »
Epic sunset at Wailea Beach:

I just made this the background of my computer at work. Wow.

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 01:35:34 PM »
...Waldorf where the pools are just insane, with a "water elevator."
We're getting a pic of that, right?

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2016, 01:35:34 PM »
I just made this the background of my computer at work. Wow.
DDF at work?
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline CZ60

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2016, 01:38:21 PM »
DDF at work?
At least its not for work #googleshutdowns  ::)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2016, 01:38:30 PM »
Insane pics.

Offline tageed-lee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 73
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2016, 01:40:37 PM »
Still trying to pick my jaw up from off the ground...!! Amazing Pics!!