Author Topic: Settlers Of Catan  (Read 34317 times)

Offline zagguru

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
Re: Settlers Of Catan
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2018, 09:00:58 AM »
An official 2-player variant for Catan exists (some unofficial ones, too) - it might not be in the rulebook for many editions, though.

What is the official 2-player version?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2018, 09:07:20 AM »
Never played Millionaire. Why banned?

Because it isn't close to as good as the original, when playing with the right rules ;)
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline zagguru

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2018, 09:08:49 AM »
Because it isn't close to as good as the original, when playing with the right rules ;)

I want to buy it just to try. But its going $40 on amazon. Cant justify that for a card game.

In the meantime, please detail the right rules here for the regular version ;)

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2018, 05:30:04 PM »
What is the official 2-player version?

According to the 2015 rulebook:
(This is not the text found in the rulebook. Please give me feedback on whether it was understandable.)

During setup, before initial placement of players' settlements, place 1 settlement of each of the unused colors on the board, one below the middle of the top row, the other above the middle of the bottom row. These represent neutral colors. Each time a player builds a road or settlement, they also place that same thing for one of the neutral colors (if no settlement is possible for either one, build a road instead). Note that a neutral color can take the Longest Road card.

Roll the dice twice each turn. If the second result is the same as the first, reroll it until it isn't.

Each player starts with 5 tokens, and may not have more than 7 at once. (The next paragraph will explain their use.) If you place a settlement adjacent to the desert hex, gain 2 tokens. If you place a settlement adjacent to water (the edge of the board), gain 1 token. (If both circumstances apply, gain 3.) This includes initial placement. Additionally, you may discard a Knight that you have played to gain 2 chips (this affects the Largest Army card).

Once on each of your turns, you may pay 1 token if you are the player with fewer (visible) points,
or 2 tokens if you are the player with more (visible) points, to take either of the following actions:
A. Put the Robber back on the desert hex (this can be done before rolling the dice, of course).
B. Take 2 resource cards at random from your opponent's hand, and then give them 2 resources of your choice.
(If your opponent only had 1 resource card, you must still give them 2.)
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2018, 05:43:15 PM »
I want to buy it just to try. But its going $40 on amazon. Can't justify that for a card game.

I can justify it, depending on how many cards are in that game. This does not qualify. : )
(Out-of-print game prices on Amazon/eBay are almost always unreasonably high.)

You can get a good idea of it by reading these 2 reviews and the comments on them
(they seem to indicate that I underestimated Monopoly Deal, though I'm not convinced):
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/845165/monopoly-millionaire-deal-review-deal-fan
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/968848/terrible-stylistic-changes-and-dumbing-down-monopo

(A number of users on that site have it listed for trade - if you really wanted it, I suppose you could contact one of them and ask if they'd take payment instead, or just buy a cheap new game they're interested in and offer it in trade. The game isn't valued very highly there - the site's internal market hasn't seen it sold for over $10.)
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2018, 05:45:18 PM »
Here's BGG's forum subsection for variant rules for Monopoly Deal:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/40398/monopoly-deal-card-game/forums/69

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2018, 08:38:24 PM »
Quote from: Randomex
to gain 2 chips

"Chips" should have been "tokens."

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2019, 01:37:40 PM »
You've all been playing Catan wrong. So very wrong.  :)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2019, 01:45:59 PM »

:D
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2019, 02:16:11 PM »

Lol
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline dealfinder11

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2019, 04:13:32 PM »
never played before i got married. Wife's family was really enthusiastic in teaching me how to play. That enthusiasm quickly dissipated when i started taking bribes not to put a robber on a property, and when i subsequently made sure to get a knight card at the beginning of the game as "7" insurance. If someone rolled a 7, i made it real clear that putting a robber on me would back fire as soon as it was my turn. Now i'm not invited to play anymore  ;D ;D

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2019, 06:28:16 PM »
...i started taking bribes not to put a robber on a property

The rules do not include a way to transfer an asset to someone other than trading
(which has its own limitations). It sounds like you weren't playing by the rules.

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2019, 08:25:45 PM »
The rules do not include a way to transfer an asset to someone other than trading
(which has its own limitations). It sounds like you weren't playing by the rules.
Seems like an entirely logical and strategic transaction. Would you rather there be more luck and less strategy? Sad.

Also its been awhile but i may have structured it as a trade. May have received something back of insignificant value.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 09:55:36 PM by dealfinder11 »

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2019, 05:33:14 PM »
Your variant of Settlers of Catan may have less luck, but it is not the game as published by its designer.
(The "(has its own limitations)" part was there for a reason.)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2019, 06:53:29 PM »
The same logic applies to any game.

Can you make truces in risk and team up against another person.

Can you make unfair trades in monopoly moments before you go bankrupt, just to help the underdog.

Can you fold in poker in a big hand so the person who was modest to. you today gets more chips.

Etc.

There is no rule against this style game play, it just makes for dumb games.

There is a special place in...for anyone who breaks the game code of playing within in spirit of the actual game.

But hey, it was their mistake for wanting him to play in the first place.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2019, 11:32:33 PM »
The same logic applies to any game.

Can you make truces in risk and team up against another person.

Can you make unfair trades in monopoly moments before you go bankrupt, just to help the underdog.

Can you fold in poker in a big hand so the person who was modest to. you today gets more chips.

Etc.

There is no rule against this style game play, it just makes for dumb games.

There is a special place in...for anyone who breaks the game code of playing within in spirit of the actual game.

But hey, it was their mistake for wanting him to play in the first place.

so you're comparing bullying and sore losing to strategic creativity? really great analysis . 
Also, sending people to a hot place because they play a board game differently than you, might just mean you take board games a little too seriously.......

Offline Moishebatchy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2019, 05:40:28 PM »
so you're comparing bullying and sore losing to strategic creativity? really great analysis . 
Also, sending people to a hot place because they play a board game differently than you, might just mean you take board games a little too seriously.......

Who said anything about “a hot place”? I’m sure he was referring to Cleveland, which rarely gets hot IME.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2019, 09:20:56 PM »

Who said anything about “a hot place”? I’m sure he was referring to Cleveland, which rarely gets hot IME.

You crazy or something?
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Moishebatchy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2019, 02:47:54 PM »

You crazy or something?

I live in Israel. Cleveland summers barely come close to our winters.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2019, 02:59:23 PM »
I live in Israel. Cleveland summers barely come close to our winters.
Lol