Author Topic: Settlers Of Catan  (Read 34329 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Settlers Of Catan
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2019, 03:04:28 PM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2019, 04:38:55 PM »
The same logic applies to any game.

Can you make truces in Risk and team up against another person?

Can you make unfair trades in Monopoly moments before you go bankrupt, just to help the underdog?

Can you fold in poker in a big hand so the person who was modest to you today gets more chips?

Etc.

There is no rule against this style of game play, it just makes for dumb games.

There is a special place in...for anyone who breaks the game code of playing within in spirit of the actual game.

There are the rules of a specific game, and there is the social contract of game-playing;
any given action can violate one, both, or neither. I was saying that the rules of Catan were
not being followed, not that this was not how Catan (or games in general) should be played.

There are 4 categories of actions relating to a game:
1. Actions defined by the rules and which create a change in the game state. (Example: Moving a piece according to the rules.)
2. Actions not defined by the rules and which create a change in the game state. (Examples: Moving a piece not according to the rules, flipping the table.)
3. Actions not defined by the rules which do not create a change in the game state and have no influence on the game. (Example: Eating pizza.)
4. Actions not defined by the rules which do not create a change in the game state, but nevertheless have influence on the game. (Example: Deal-making, leaving.)

(Note that the Risk example quoted was in category 4, while the others were in category 1.)

A game's rules usually address only category 1 (although in some cases, such as multiplayer conflict games,
like Risk, or "social deduction" games, like Mafia/Werewolf, games may be designed around category-4 actions
being a part of the experience and they may be mentioned, though not limited by a definition, in the rules).

The social contract of game-playing has two aspects. One is the allowance of some categories of actions and not others,
while the other is the "spirit of the game," usually including the idea that each player will do their best to win the game
themselves or come as close to doing so as possible (and not try to cause a specific other player to win, known among
game players as "king-making"). How the social contract treats category-4 actions will vary by group and by specific game.
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2020, 01:25:08 PM »
This is a thing:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/282853/catan-starfarers

It's a reprint (with further development) of the 1999 stand-alone Catan game,
The Starfarers of Catan. If you have any interest, first, check the price tag.
If you're still interested, listen to episode 96 of So Very Wrong About Games.
That's a good start to making an informed decision.
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2020, 04:27:30 AM »
I think it's time to advance.. which is the next Catan game I shall buy for 5-6 players.
 We all loved the settlers of Catan.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline justaregularguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2020, 02:37:39 PM »
I think it's time to advance.. which is the next Catan game I shall buy for 5-6 players.
 We all loved the settlers of Catan.
I have explorers and pirates as well as cities and knights. Id say explorers and pirates is the biggest expansion they have and introduces you to so many more features you hardly remember its settlers. i love it . In cities and Knights it basically super enhances the original game with more features.
cities and knights uses same game board while explorers and pirates has a vastly different (much bigger) board game.

Ill get around to seafarers and traders n barbarians one day..

as an aside i also have settle the incas game but its like a knockoff of the main game( also made by makers of settlers) you can try it its interesting
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline SrulyS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2020, 03:59:57 PM »

If you are looking for an expansion with simple rule changes but much customization and a large game board get Seafarers.
If you are looking for an expansion which has much more depth (and more difficult rules) but the same size game board get Cities & Knights.
If you are looking for a combination of both spacial expansion and complexity expansion get Explorers and Pirates (or combine Seafarers and C&K).

Traders and Barbarians is the forgotten child.

Ill get around to seafarers and traders n barbarians one day..
We own all of them and we haven't played these two in years.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2020, 04:15:41 PM »
If you are looking for an expansion with simple rule changes but much customization and a large game board get Seafarers.
If you are looking for an expansion which has much more depth (and more difficult rules) but the same size game board get Cities & Knights.
If you are looking for a combination of both spacial expansion and complexity expansion get Explorers and Pirates (or combine Seafarers and C&K).

Traders and Barbarians is the forgotten child.

We own all of them and we haven't played these two in years.
So to sum it up which one would you recommend I got to start with one?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline SrulyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2020, 04:50:33 PM »

I recommend Cities and Knights but I would suggest reading the rules online first to get a sense of the game.

You also should be able to try it for free in the Catan Universe app using a scroll to unlock it for a few (24?) hours. If you want, we can arrange a game, did you ever check to see if the friend request came through?

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2020, 05:11:00 PM »
my route was explorers and pirates-cities n knight-next will be traders n babarians-lastly seafarers. Honestly the 1st 2 are great options, my only drawback from cities and knights is the frustration of not getting resources and then losing cities to the barbarians(yes theres a barbarian ship unrelated to traders n barbarians game) and you cant improve further wo cities. In explorers n pirates , whenevr you dont get resources, you get gold( 8)) so you constantly never feel "out of it"

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2020, 03:14:38 PM »
(Whichever one you choose, you'll also need that expansion's specific 5-6 Player Extension.)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 03:21:16 PM by Randomex »

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2020, 01:32:45 PM »
This is a birthday cake I'll appreciate!   :D

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2020, 01:45:46 PM »
wow that is VERY cool! im super impressed :)

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2020, 11:15:15 PM »
My wife and I have gotten really into the 2 player version during COVID-19 - Rivals for Catan. Very good, and has a similar feel to C&K.

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2020, 02:58:58 AM »
Get hyped (no idea when the release is expected):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catan:_World_Explorers

Offline ar

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2020, 11:23:11 PM »
I'm having a Shabbat gathering this week with my family, and looking for a good adult game (5-6 couples). Heard so much about Catan from Dan, but never got to try it. Is it gonna work for us, as beginners? Or you need to be experienced in order to enjoy it?

If not Catan, can someone reccomend another good board game? (We used to do Blokus... but outgrew it)

Thanks

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2020, 11:33:42 PM »
I'm having a Shabbat gathering this week with my family, and looking for a good adult game (5-6 couples). Heard so much about Catan from Dan, but never got to try it. Is it gonna work for us, as beginners? Or you need to be experienced in order to enjoy it?
Sure.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Joeymc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2020, 01:33:53 AM »

If not Catan, can someone reccomend another good board game? (We used to do Blokus... but outgrew it)

Thanks
Ticket to Ride is quite good. It's for 5 players. Might be better for beginners, it's easier to pick up.
120 characters? Hmm, I wonder what I could write with 64 characters. Boy, it's gonna be hard to use up 15 characters. W-

Offline ar

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2020, 11:17:54 AM »
Thanks, looking online on the instructions for Catan, it seems like it takes time to get the hang of it...

Will see

Offline Joeymc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2020, 11:29:32 AM »
Thanks, looking online on the instructions for Catan, it seems like it takes time to get the hang of it...

Will see
Yes, if this was a regular thing then it's definitely worth the time it takes to get used to and learn Catan.

If it's just a one time thing, probably get a different game.
120 characters? Hmm, I wonder what I could write with 64 characters. Boy, it's gonna be hard to use up 15 characters. W-

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2020, 04:17:55 PM »
looking for a good adult game (5-6 couples)

Questions:
Do you want one game that fits all the players? (One copy of Catan does not play 10-12 people.*)
If not, do you want to get multiple copies of the same game so there's only one set of rules to teach?
How much money do you want to spend?
What's the most complicated game (you already know) that you'd be willing to teach people?

*Unless you get the 5-6 player extension and play in teams, but that's probably a bad idea.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 04:35:00 PM by Randomex »