Author Topic: Settlers Of Catan  (Read 34343 times)

Offline Joeymc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
Re: Settlers Of Catan
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2020, 04:23:28 PM »
Another great game is perpetual commotion.

Plays up to 6 players, very quick to learn and lots of fast motion fun.
120 characters? Hmm, I wonder what I could write with 64 characters. Boy, it's gonna be hard to use up 15 characters. W-

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2020, 08:21:29 PM »
Take a look at Anomia. Great for big groups and easy to learn
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline ar

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2020, 12:49:21 AM »

Questions:
Do you want one game that fits all the players? (One copy of Catan does not play 10-12 people.*)
If not, do you want to get multiple copies of the same game so there's only one set of rules to teach?
How much money do you want to spend?
What's the most complicated game (you already know) that you'd be willing to teach people?

*Unless you get the 5-6 player extension and play in teams, but that's probably a bad idea.

Want a game that 8-12 ppl can play at time.

Doesnt have to be a very complicated game.. but we've played Risk in the past... perpetual commotion is only for 4 ppl I believe

I'm thinking more of a party game... came across Malarky, looks really fun

Will check out Anomia too

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2020, 12:57:02 AM »
Anomia (including the Party Edition) and Malarky are officially limited to 6
(significantly increasing those counts will make them virtually unplayable).

A number of the already-limited options for this player count can't be played on Shabbos.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 02:08:15 AM by Randomex »
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline Joeymc

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2020, 01:56:25 AM »

perpetual commotion is only for 4 ppl I believe

IINM perpetual commotion can have up to 6 players, but it's been a while since I played.

There's another game I haven't played but have heard is very good called Secret Hitler. I think it can have up to 10 players.
120 characters? Hmm, I wonder what I could write with 64 characters. Boy, it's gonna be hard to use up 15 characters. W-

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2020, 02:06:11 AM »
Perpetual Commotion is indeed for up to 6 (+2 with Black & White or Silver & Gold deck packs,
+4 with both, can be bought as one box). Gameplay consists of trying to put down all your cards
in real time in a fashion similar to solitaire. (If you're familiar with Dutch Blitz, it's very similar.)

Secret Hitler is heavily inspired by the superior (so I'm told) The Resistance.
It does have the advantage of being available as a free print-and-play as well as commercially
(especially with the amount of time remaining to lay hands on whatever product is decided on).
Note that it requires lying. (Also, it has the word Hitler in it, but you already knew that.)
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline Joeymc

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2020, 02:11:05 AM »

Perpetual Commotion is indeed for up to 6 (+2 with Black & White or Silver & Gold deck packs,
+4 with both, can be bought as one box). Gameplay consists of trying to put down all your cards
in real time in a fashion similar to solitaire. (If you're familiar with Dutch Blitz, it's very similar.)

So technically you can have 10 players?

Secret Hitler is heavily inspired by the superior (so I'm told) The Resistance.
It does have the advantage of being available as a free print-and-play as well as commercially
(especially with the amount of time remaining to lay hands on whatever product is decided on).
Note that it requires lying. (Also, it has the word Hitler in it, but you already knew that.)

You can download the game here https://www.secrethitler.com

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2020, 07:15:33 AM »
Team-based communication games:
(Some of these can be found in Target or Barnes & Noble.)

Muse: Awakenings  - Give teammates clues about which illustration card they're
meant to guess, with clue cards dictating different kinds of clue-giving each time.

[Limited to 10 players] When I Dream - Players give a blindfolded player one-word clues about things drawn
from a deck. The player guesses when they choose to, trying to be right. Some players are trying to make the
player guess wrong, others right, and still others to have the amounts of right and wrong guesses be as equal
as possible. Those roles are redistributed in each round (each player will be the "dreamer" for one round).
(On Shabbos, you will need to time 2 minutes without a timer.)

Codenames / Codenames Pictures - One player on each of 2 teams knows which cards in a grid belong to each
team and they must communicate them to their teammates with one-word clues. In the original Codenames
the grid cards have words on them, while in Pictures they have images. The first team to guess all their cards
wins, but there's also an Assassin card which is an instant loss if guessed.
(I wouldn't recommend quite so high player counts, though.)

Codenames Duet - Designed as a 2-player version of Codenames but can also be played as 2 teams.
It's cooperative instead of competitive, with both sides giving clues to each other. (The high player count
caution is especially relevant here, as the discussion group for each size doesn't exclude one clue-giver.)

Word Slam / Word Slam Family - The clue-givers must communicate a word/phrase to their teammates
using any number of an array of 100 or so one-word clue cards. Both teams play at once using the same target
word (each clue-giver has their own set of clue cards), with the first team to guess correctly scoring a point.

Concept - Players try to communicate a word/phrase to their team by placing tokens on a board of concepts.
Simple example: "To get others to guess 'milk,' the team might place the question mark icon (which signifies
the main concept) on the liquid icon, then cubes of this color on the icons for 'food/drink' and 'white.' "
Here are some demo cluesets: https://print-and-play.asmodee.fun/files/concept/concept_pnp_en.pdf
The demo can also be played with other people Clue-style (guess wrong and you're disqualified).
(During an actual game, you can react to your team's discussion by moving tokens around.)
Note: This came out before Word Slam.

Wavelength [2019/20] - The active player must communicate a point on a spectrum to their teammates.
A spectrum card (e.g., Hard-to-Soft) is revealed and the clue-giver names something that they think is
at the point on that spectrum where the team's target is (so if the target was the Hard extreme, they
might say "Diamond"). Points are awarded according to how close the team's guess is to the target.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 07:30:30 AM by Randomex »

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2020, 08:32:50 AM »
More games:

Snake Oil / [Officially limited to 10] But Wait, There's More! - Party games about pitching
fictional products created by combining cards, with players voting on each other's pitches.
(Seems like a bad idea with so many people if you ask me.)

[Officially limited to 8] Word on the Street - A team-based tug-of-war word game in which
teams say words containing target letters to pull those letters closer to their side of a board.
(Again, perhaps too many people.)

[This could work well enough with pairs of players] Timeline - Players have a hand
of cards with events on them and a year on the back (that they can't see). On their turn,
they place a card into the line of cards on the table, flipping them to reveal the year.
If the card is not in the correct place in the timeline, it is discarded and the player must
draw a new card, the object of the game being to empty your hand. There are numerous sets of
Timeline, each focusing on a different kind of event, all of which can be combined with each other.
(The CardLine series is similar, though aiming for a slightly younger audience, with each card
having several aspects, Top Trumps-style, and one aspect being designated for each game.)

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2020, 09:41:25 AM »
Doesnt have to be a very complicated game.. but we've played Risk in the past... perpetual commotion is only for 4 ppl I believe
Perpetual commotion has addon packs for more people

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2020, 08:15:50 AM »
Another option is to google youth group activities.

====================================

So you can have 10 players?

Yes.

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2020, 12:15:52 AM »
So what did you end up doing?

(We played Empyreal: Spells and Steam with 3 players. It took us about 2.6 hours.)

Offline ar

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2020, 10:19:39 PM »
Thanks for all your help

We played Anomia with 6 people and the rest watched and laughed.. Also played perpetual commotion

Both games were great

Online Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2020, 11:31:54 PM »
So what did you end up doing?

(We played Empyreal: Spells and Steam with 3 players. It took us about 2.6 hours.)
Is that game worth the $90?
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2020, 06:54:42 AM »
It's probably worth $63 (here) or $65 (here). (I backed their
Kickstarter 2 years ago, so my base-game price was $65.)
If you're actually considering buying the game:
The box is quite large, with a length and width like Ticket to Ride but about 3 times the depth.
Verify that you're okay with all the art in it first - here's the rulebook.

Bonus rambling:
"Is product X worth money Y" is a subjective question, and I don't think
I'm a qualified judge of what either board games or money are worth.
There's almost always going to be a game of comparable quality available for
less; how significant is that when valuing items with unique characteristics?
I don't have enough experience with this game (that was my first time playing
it) and other games of its kind to comment on it from a critical perspective.
In terms of material quantity, there's a lot in the box. It has 697 components
to Catan's 287 (though 210 are pretty small chits) and some storage trays.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 08:09:47 AM by Randomex »

Offline Randomex

• View Profile

Offline Randomex

• View Profile

Offline Pupashtetl

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2020, 08:22:34 PM »
Could this game be played by only 2 people?

Offline Pupashtetl

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2020, 08:51:00 PM »
If not, what is the most recommended board game for 2?

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2020, 08:54:21 PM »
If not, what is the most recommended board game for 2?
That's a very subjective question!

There are modifications to play Catan with two players but the ones I've tried weren't too exciting, definitely not worth buying the game just for that. There's a Catan dice game which works nicely for 2 (or more) players and is also shorter to play (20-30 minutes with 2 players), worth trying IMO.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Catan-Dice-Strategy-Game/51055679

If you want something longer and more complex, Rivals for Catan is also a two player game (and there are expansion packs if you want to make it even more complicated).