Author Topic: Receiving 100k amex plat promo without being targeted  (Read 246130 times)

Offline bruce

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Receiving 100k amex plat promo without being targeted
« Reply #860 on: July 11, 2011, 12:53:10 PM »
Just called for Gold and Platinum and got notated on my account the better offer codes (100k plat & 75k gold) which will kick in after my spend.

Advice when calling about the Gold: use the platinum number. I got denied by two different agents and then I called the platinum number and cha ching!

Offline irleetnoob

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: July 11, 2011, 01:08:12 PM »
So...I got my plat card noted, ran up $1000+ in a couple of weeks, got the points expedited to my acct (all 100K) and paid off my balance.

Question: would it look really bad if I canceled it this quickly after all the points post, even if I have a "good excuse"? Or should I wait till the tail end of 60 days before calling to cancel?

Also, has anyone ever gotten a retention offer good enough to justify the $450 annual fee? I don't really value the lounge access all too high (especially if i have to pay $27 for my wife)...

Offline Q274

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: barely
« Reply #862 on: July 11, 2011, 01:46:07 PM »
So...I got my plat card noted, ran up $1000+ in a couple of weeks, got the points expedited to my acct (all 100K) and paid off my balance.

Question: would it look really bad if I canceled it this quickly after all the points post, even if I have a "good excuse"? Or should I wait till the tail end of 60 days before calling to cancel?

Also, has anyone ever gotten a retention offer good enough to justify the $450 annual fee? I don't really value the lounge access all too high (especially if i have to pay $27 for my wife)...

first of all if you cancel your card while you still have points in them you will lose the points unless you have a different card that earns membership reward poins

second of all you can bring in to a lounge up to 4 family members for free

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: July 11, 2011, 01:48:05 PM »

But not with Priority Pass.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline irleetnoob

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: July 11, 2011, 01:59:03 PM »
first of all if you cancel your card while you still have points in them you will lose the points unless you have a different card that earns membership reward poins

Right, I have the Gold PR card to keep the points, and I plan to keep that card at least till next year. And yeah, unfortunately, I don't yet have any plans to fly with the 4 airlines that get Plat access, so I would have to use the priority pass :(

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #865 on: July 11, 2011, 02:29:24 PM »

Lose them totally? Like gone?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: July 11, 2011, 02:39:52 PM »

Yup, they close the MR account within 30 days of when you close your last Amex card that earns MR points.

Offline irleetnoob

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: July 11, 2011, 02:40:35 PM »

I believe if you don't have another MR account (you can downgrade from MR First to MR, no problem), then there's a short timeframe (30 days) before your points go totally poof.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #868 on: July 11, 2011, 02:43:16 PM »
Yup, they close the MR account within 30 days of when you close your last Amex card that earns MR points.

I believe if you don't have another MR account (you can downgrade from MR First to MR, no problem), then there's a short timeframe (30 days) before your points go totally poof.

Wow. Is there a list of cards somewhere that would tell me which card I would have to keep open to keep a MR account (and my points)?

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: July 11, 2011, 02:53:47 PM »
Wow. Is there a list of cards somewhere that would tell me which card I would have to keep open to keep a MR account (and my points)?

All of the following (both consumer and business):

Zync
Blue (but not Blue Cash)
Green
Gold (or Premier Rewards Gold)
Platinum

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #870 on: July 11, 2011, 02:56:02 PM »

Zync
Blue (but not Blue Cash)
Green
Platinum
Worth noting that with Zync and Blue you can't transfer points to miles, but they do preserve your points for when you get another card which does allow points to miles transfers.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #871 on: July 11, 2011, 03:02:41 PM »

Zync
Blue (but not Blue Cash)
Green
Platinum

Worth noting that with Zync and Blue you can't transfer points to miles, but they do preserve your points for when you get another card which does allow points to miles transfers.

Many thanks for the help, gentleman.

I have a Blue Cash card, with a whopper of a credit line. Can I just switch that CL to the Blue (non-cash) while a) maintaining the same CL, and b) not having a hard-inquiry?

Would the same be true for the AMEX green?

EDIT: Just saw that AMEX Green is a charge card - so I guess that would zap my CL...

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: July 11, 2011, 03:09:14 PM »

I have a Blue Cash card, with a whopper of a credit line. Can I just switch that CL to the Blue (non-cash) while a) maintaining the same CL, and b) not having a hard-inquiry?

EDIT: Just saw that AMEX Green is a charge card - so I guess that would zap my CL...

Amex green should maintain your MR balance as is. You can call MR at 800-AXP-EARN to confirm the green card is linked to your MR.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #873 on: July 11, 2011, 03:18:58 PM »
Yea, but would switching to the Green close my credit line? I'd like to keep that for reasons I am sure do not need explaining.

If switching would destroy that CL (because Green is a charge card and not a credit card), I'd probably be better off with Blue non-cash.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: July 11, 2011, 03:21:40 PM »
Yea, but would switching to the Green close my credit line? I'd like to keep that for reasons I am sure do not need explaining.

If switching would destroy that CL (because Green is a charge card and not a credit card), I'd probably be better off with Blue non-cash.

Bule n-n-cash isn't a charge, so that would work, but no MR 1st (transfer to miles).

With green you'd probably keep the spending allowance with Amex (if they even let you convert non-charge to charge), but the spend allowance wouldn't get reported to the credit bureaus.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #875 on: July 11, 2011, 03:25:26 PM »
Bule n-n-cash isn't a charge, so that would work, but no MR 1st (transfer to miles).

With green you'd probably keep the spending allowance with Amex (if they even let you convert non-charge to charge), but the spend allowance wouldn't get reported to the credit bureaus.

Blue non-cash it is. Thanks.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: July 11, 2011, 03:26:59 PM »
Blue non-cash it is. Thanks.

When you call, make sure they confirm there's no pull to convert, and you keep your CL.

Offline irleetnoob

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: July 11, 2011, 03:33:54 PM »

I think you can still transfer miles with plain MR and not MR 1st, right?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: July 11, 2011, 03:42:05 PM »
I think you can still transfer miles with plain MR and not MR 1st, right?

No. MR (not 1st) won't transfer to airline miles.

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: July 11, 2011, 03:53:55 PM »
Right, I have the Gold PR card to keep the points, and I plan to keep that card at least till next year. And yeah, unfortunately, I don't yet have any plans to fly with the 4 airlines that get Plat access, so I would have to use the priority pass :(
the Priority Pass membership has been reported to close as soon as the platinum account gets shut

Amex won't convert a charge to a non-charge or vice versa but you can convert BlueCash to  Blue OR Plat to Green
No. MR (not 1st) won't transfer to airline miles.
there are 3 levels;
MR 1st (plat) and MR standard (Gold, Green etc.) Will transfer to airlines. MR express (Blue, Zync etc.) will not