Author Topic: Receiving 100k amex plat promo without being targeted  (Read 246718 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Receiving 100k amex plat promo without being targeted
« Reply #460 on: May 25, 2011, 02:34:29 PM »
My experience and others were that they would approve the card but deny the bonus

You seen that with the Amex platinum card (besides for the Columbia offer)?  ???
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline yaakov s

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: May 25, 2011, 04:03:51 PM »
You seen that with the Amex platinum card (besides for the Columbia offer)?  ???
I had reapplied a few days after canceling my Plat with the regular DD link for 50K was canceled called up for approval they opened a file. I called back a few days later and the said I have 2 options I could get another card but be denied the bonus or reinstate the card , at that time I didn't try to argue because I reinstated it and in the same call transferred to MR and got them to give me the 50K extra. I then promptly called back that night and canceled it again :). ( I posted this somewhere already)

IIRC I saw at least one other poster with the same experience on this thread. I'm on my phone when I'm in front of a computer will link to it.

Offline yossi4k

• View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club National Executive Elite Sixt Platinum
Receiving 100k amex plat promo without being targeted
« Reply #462 on: May 25, 2011, 07:06:05 PM »
Just an Update was Just on phone with CSR from Membership Rewards Dept and she read the TOC's on Offer Code 5748 and said that if you apply anytime from February 2011 to April 2012 that your eligible after spending 1k in first 3 months.

So I guess if people still want to apply for cards now without bonus or small bonus they can take their chances with matching to 5748 later.

HSS
....and I just got off the phone with a rep who told me that 5748 only STARTED in may 2011 and 3882 expired in Feb 2011 so go figure!

Offline TC610

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: May 25, 2011, 07:49:08 PM »
My card was opened in April.  I sent a message on the AMEX website to MR -> Travel referencing 3882 and got denied.

I called the MR customer service number (mentioned earlier in this thread) referencing 5748.  I explained that I must have applied for the Platinum incorrectly because I only got 50k points.  After waiting on hold 10 minutes the rep denied me stating that it was a targeted offer and that I wasn't a target.

I called back 5 minutes later, got a different rep, and mentioned that right after I applied there was a "better offer...Bonus ID 5748 for 100k points".  Within 2 minutes the rep had my account credited for an additional 50k.

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions.  100k points and the ability to resell my AA GCs for a cool $160 profit?  Couldn't have done it without the awesomeness of the DansDeals forums.

Offline TC610

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 25, 2011, 09:00:16 PM »
In other news...

I closed my Plat account shortly thereafter and the rep told me I would get a prorated refund for $412.50.  I wanted the full $450 back.

I wasn't sure if I was still within the first 60 days or not, but I mentioned to the rep that if I cancelled within 60 days I should get a full refund.  He transferred me to another rep who agreed with me and gave me a $450 credit to my other AMEX card (I preferred he apply it to my existing Platinum balance and he obliged).

Bottom line - if you are within the first 60 days, definitely ask for the full refund of the $450 if it's not offered at first.  If you are close, ask anyways.  The worst they can do is say no.  Afterwards, I looked at my app date (4/5/11) and was within the first 60 days. 

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: May 26, 2011, 01:01:12 AM »
I never did yet the Amex Platinum card!
How many points will I be able to get? Which promo code can I use?
Would anyone be so kind and answer my question plzz?

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #466 on: May 26, 2011, 01:10:30 AM »
Would anyone be so kind and answer my question plzz?

You should easily be able to get 100k.

Apply using Dans banner link on the main site, after first changing the '25' in the URL to 50. Then, as fast as you can, contact MR to match the targeted promo code in this thread (5748). Of course it's all YMMV. They may stop matching the targeted promo code (or ending that promo) by the time you get to calling them. But most likely, you'll get it, like most us us have.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 01:11:35 AM by Dan »

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 26, 2011, 01:18:51 AM »
You should easily be able to get 100k.

Apply using Dans banner link on the main site, after first changing the '25' in the URL to 50. Then, as fast as you can, contact MR to match the targeted promo code in this thread (5748). Of course it's all YMMV. They may stop matching the targeted promo code (or ending that promo) by the time you get to calling them. But most likely, you'll get it, like most us us have.
Thanks. Is 5748 a real code out there that's still being targeted to people, or is it something that was? Meaning what reason do I give them that 5748 should apply to me?

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #468 on: May 26, 2011, 01:21:49 AM »
Meaning what reason do I give them that 5748 should apply to me?

Tell them you heard there is a " better offer" out there then the one you applied for (apparently there is something magical when you say the words 'better offer' to AMEX), and you would like them to match the offer to you. You don't need any other reason. That's what we all did and it works.

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 26, 2011, 01:40:54 AM »
Tell them you heard there is a " better offer" out there then the one you applied for (apparently there is something magical when you say the words 'better offer' to AMEX), and you would like them to match the offer to you. You don't need any other reason. That's what we all did and it works.
But nobody knows where 5748 really comes from?

Offline ChAiM'l

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: May 26, 2011, 05:41:13 AM »
I'm a little over 60 days, and I want to cancel. Did anyone get the full amount back after 60 days?

Offline steve L

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 26, 2011, 11:13:13 AM »
they wont approve my amex plat application bec cant apply for the same card within 90 days twice!!

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 26, 2011, 11:17:10 AM »
they wont approve my amex plat application bec cant apply for the same card within 90 days twice!!
when was ur last aplication

Offline steve L

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 26, 2011, 11:34:05 AM »
one on march 14 and then cancelled after first statement and they posted points right away and then reapplied on apr 29

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: May 26, 2011, 03:50:04 PM »
Can you guys help me, please!
What am I doing wrong?
I cancelled my Amex Platinum before 60 days to be able to receive the $450 back.
Now when I try calling to get 100k points instead of 50k points, I'm repeatedly told that since my Platinum was cancelled they can not give me more points.
And yes, I'm using the magic words "better offer...Bonus ID 5748 for 100k points".
How are all you guys getting it done?
Thanks!

Offline yaakov s

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: May 26, 2011, 04:13:45 PM »
What am I doing wrong?
I cancelled my Amex Platinum before 60 days to be able to receive the $450 back.
Now when I try calling to get 100k points instead of 50k points, I'm repeatedly told that since my Platinum was cancelled they can not give me more points.
And yes, I'm using the magic words "better offer...Bonus ID 5748 for 100k points".
Thanks!
keep on trying different agents and different departments . You realize you're at a disadvantage here.

Or reinstate it and try for the bonus , roll the dice risk paying some $$ to get the 50k

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: May 26, 2011, 04:18:20 PM »
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks!

You're going to have a hard time getting the bonus when your Plat is cancelled.

reinstate it and try for the bonus , roll the dice risk paying some $$ to get the 50k

+1

If you reinstate I'd say it's likely you'll get the bonus matched.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline leibima

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: May 26, 2011, 04:46:05 PM »
I tried searching for this but only found an article like this related to the BA card.
I applied for the platinum using the 50K link, and a few weeks later emailed AMEX for another 50K. They agreed but told me they put a note on my account since I did not meet the spending requirement yet.
Two days ago, I finally met the requirement and I just looked at my account and see 50K points. Not only did I not pay the bill, the statement has not even closed yet. Did this happen to anyone?
I emailed them asking them for the other 50K and I'm waiting to hear back from them. A few years back I signed up for an AMEX that promised a 25K bonus, and when it did not appear for a month I sent them an email. They immediately credited me the 25K, and then lo and behold, a few days later I received another 25K. Apparently, when they manually credit your account, the system doe snot always pick up on it and sometimes you get credited twice. Hopefully this will happen this time again!!

Offline Smokey Joe Robinson

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Best Western Diamond Elite, Marriott Rewards Silver, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, United Premier Silver
« Reply #478 on: May 26, 2011, 04:50:03 PM »
I tried searching for this but only found an article like this related to the BA card.
I applied for the platinum using the 50K link, and a few weeks later emailed AMEX for another 50K. They agreed but told me they put a note on my account since I did not meet the spending requirement yet.
Two days ago, I finally met the requirement and I just looked at my account and see 50K points. Not only did I not pay the bill, the statement has not even closed yet. Did this happen to anyone?
I emailed them asking them for the other 50K and I'm waiting to hear back from them. A few years back I signed up for an AMEX that promised a 25K bonus, and when it did not appear for a month I sent them an email. They immediately credited me the 25K, and then lo and behold, a few days later I received another 25K. Apparently, when they manually credit your account, the system doe snot always pick up on it and sometimes you get credited twice. Hopefully this will happen this time again!!
Yes after reaching the 1K spend within a few days the original sign up offer of 50K gets posted,  better yet becomes pending. That's not the manual addition of 50K. As long as they see a bonus offer that did not post yet, they refuse to manually add any points on the grounds that they don't want to have to remove points from your account. Most have not been successful getting the extra 50K via email, but require a call. Good Luck. (and let us know if I'm wrong)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 05:10:22 PM by Smokey Joe Robinson »
My Programs Are Listed So That I Don't Forget Them :)

Offline Yeki89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: May 26, 2011, 05:38:46 PM »
i would call. also complain that the dint give automatic and ask for a bonus.
this usaully works, last time i did it i got $25 staement credit