Author Topic: Receiving 100k amex plat promo without being targeted  (Read 246680 times)

Offline ThatAdamGuy

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Receiving 100k amex plat promo without being targeted
« Reply #540 on: June 01, 2011, 12:32:42 AM »
Hi AsherO, and thanks for the welcome!

Yeah, I have read that many others have indeed had luck via persistence.  But my desire for those additional 50K points is tempered against other considerations:
- Not having a "this guy is already a pain in the ass" in my AMEX file.  I can imagine wanting AMEX to go to bat for me in the future, and being an "ideal" / non-naggy customer might be an asset in that case.
- I want the extra leverage upon renewal time.  I'd rather not churn if I don't have to (I'm potentially buying a home in the next year or two), and I think my chances of snagging a nice renewal bonus (reduced fee, extra points) is heightened by being perceived as a trouble-free and profitable customer that has NOT already gotten a bevy of extra points.

With that said, both due to the ease of SM and your encouragement, I might drop an SM in a few months (after some aggressive spending) noting, "Hey, I'm being tempted to move my spending to another card, but am willing to keep AMEX as my primary if you'd match the extra 50K points awarded via the better offer of [offer numbers]."

Anyway, thanks again for the reply, and take care...

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 01, 2011, 12:52:01 AM »
Hi AsherO, and thanks for the welcome!

Yeah, I have read that many others have indeed had luck via persistence.  But my desire for those additional 50K points is tempered against other considerations:
- Not having a "this guy is already a pain in the ass" in my AMEX file.  I can imagine wanting AMEX to go to bat for me in the future, and being an "ideal" / non-naggy customer might be an asset in that case.
- I want the extra leverage upon renewal time.  I'd rather not churn if I don't have to (I'm potentially buying a home in the next year or two), and I think my chances of snagging a nice renewal bonus (reduced fee, extra points) is heightened by being perceived as a trouble-free and profitable customer that has NOT already gotten a bevy of extra points.

With that said, both due to the ease of SM and your encouragement, I might drop an SM in a few months (after some aggressive spending) noting, "Hey, I'm being tempted to move my spending to another card, but am willing to keep AMEX as my primary if you'd match the extra 50K points awarded via the better offer of [offer numbers]."

Anyway, thanks again for the reply, and take care...

You're very welcome :D

It's really you're call, and I'm not trying to tell you what to do. Most people here will disagree with your suggestion that Amex might not 'go to bat' for you in the future to to some 'nagging'. In our collective experience when you communicate via different channels (e.g. SM departments), they don't even see your SMs to other departments, so it's an unlikely chance there will compound into a 'nag alert' in your file. Besides, if you're an aggressive spender and you pay your bills on time, they'll 'go to bat' for you regardless. What you say about your renewal bonus makes even less sense, I'm yet to see someone snag a renewal bonus of anywhere near 25k, let alone 50k...

But hey, it's your call (and your loss).
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Smokey Joe Robinson

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Best Western Diamond Elite, Marriott Rewards Silver, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, United Premier Silver
« Reply #542 on: June 01, 2011, 01:16:00 AM »
You're very welcome :D

It's really you're call, and I'm not trying to tell you what to do. Most people here will disagree with your suggestion that Amex might not 'go to bat' for you in the future to to some 'nagging'. In our collective experience when you communicate via different channels (e.g. SM departments), they don't even see your SMs to other departments, so it's an unlikely chance there will compound into a 'nag alert' in your file. Besides, if you're an aggressive spender and you pay your bills on time, they'll 'go to bat' for you regardless. What you say about your renewal bonus makes even less sense, I'm yet to see someone snag a renewal bonus of anywhere near 25k, let alone 50k...

But hey, it's your call (and your loss).

+1
My Programs Are Listed So That I Don't Forget Them :)

Offline Sammy82

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 01, 2011, 09:11:05 AM »
Hey, I want to call to cancel and it seems like I'm a few days over. Are they strict with the 60 day/full refund business? Will they insist on prorating the $450?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 09:15:54 AM by Sammy82 »

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 01, 2011, 09:46:20 AM »
Yea they will prob prorate it

Offline karen

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 02, 2011, 09:34:07 AM »
Is there an application link for Columbia offer? I read 30 pages of this thread and didn't find one.  Thanks!

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 02, 2011, 09:38:16 AM »
Its dead and amex didn't give the points for it neways so u don't want to apply for it

Offline karen

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 02, 2011, 09:49:28 AM »
Its dead and amex didn't give the points for it neways so u don't want to apply for it
@myb821
Thanks for the info. Questions for you, my plat application on Feb 1 still showed up in the application list, any experience exactly when will it be gone? It is so annoying  :).

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 02, 2011, 09:59:49 AM »
I don't have experience with that sorry

Offline yaakov s

• View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 02, 2011, 10:04:16 AM »
I think this whole clearing your apps thing is a mistake. When you apply and you call them that  they need to clear your apps , they don't erase your records they just disregard it for this app. It stays in the records.

For how long I dont know

Offline karen

• View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 02, 2011, 10:10:53 AM »
I think this whole clearing your apps thing is a mistake. When you apply and you call them that  they need to clear your apps , they don't erase your records they just disregard it for this app. It stays in the records.

For how long I dont know
The application list is so annoying. Without it, I always get approved instantly, but now I have to call and wait. I don't like it.   :(

Offline fdg9

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 02, 2011, 10:56:20 AM »
Why when I click on link in OP it brings me to 25K offer?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 02, 2011, 11:00:59 AM »
Why when I click on link in OP it brings me to 25K offer?

Did you try editing the 25k in the URL to 50k (after deleting cookies)? You can then call and get your offer matched.

Offline fdg9

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 02, 2011, 11:03:05 AM »
So...
Step 1: remove cookies
Step 2: edit URL and apply and get approved
Step 3: call and give them offer numbers and ask them to match

Sounds right?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: June 02, 2011, 11:04:55 AM »
So...
Step 1: remove cookies
Step 2: edit URL and apply and get approved
Step 3: call and give them offer numbers and ask them to match

Sounds right?

You've got it. After you edit the URL, you should see the 50k offer listed on the page that loads. Good luck!

Offline fdg9

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: June 02, 2011, 11:21:50 AM »
Thanks to all.

I just used the 2 browser method (chrome and IE).

Applied for 50K platinum using modified URL (thanks AsherO), and SPG.

Hit "Submit" seconds apart.

Got instant approval on both.

Will wait to activate and use both before calling Platinum for upgrade to 100K.

I'm learning...

The only thing i'm confused about is the 2 different codes listed in the OP labeled "older" and "newer". What's the deal?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: June 02, 2011, 11:24:16 AM »
Thanks to all.

I just used the 2 browser method (chrome and IE).

Applied for 50K platinum using modified URL (thanks AsherO), and SPG.

Hit "Submit" seconds apart.

Got instant approval on both.

Will wait to activate and use both before calling Platinum for upgrade to 100K.

I'm learning...

The only thing i'm confused about is the 2 different codes listed in the OP labeled "older" and "newer". What's the deal?

A pity you didn't do a third card, I'd bet you'd get instant approval on that one too, too late for that now though :(

Those codes have different effective dates, the newer offer is still in effect so it'll be easier for you (since you've applied now) to get matched to that offer.

Offline fdg9

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: June 02, 2011, 11:31:06 AM »
I'm actually interested in Chase too. I applied yesterday for the Saphire and was told they would get back to me.

I would like Southwest, Hyatt (which i'm going to wait until i hit SPG Platinum shortly, so I can use the status match).

I feel confident that I will get in with Saphire.

How long after should I wait to apply for these cards and maybe another 1 or 2 chase cards?

BTW, I already have a BA and United Card for years.

On a side note, should I cancel my BA and/or United and apply for another with miles promos? I don't want to use my spending limits which unfortanately I need to use...

Thanks

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: June 02, 2011, 11:36:50 AM »
I'm actually interested in Chase too. I applied yesterday for the Saphire and was told they would get back to me.

I would like Southwest, Hyatt (which i'm going to wait until i hit SPG Platinum shortly, so I can use the status match).

I feel confident that I will get in with Saphire.

How long after should I wait to apply for these cards and maybe another 1 or 2 chase cards?

BTW, I already have a BA and United Card for years.

On a side note, should I cancel my BA and/or United and apply for another with miles promos? I don't want to use my spending limits which unfortanately I need to use...

Thanks

All of your questions were discussed on the forums already, you should really browse/read and you'll find your answers.

With Chase I strongly recommend the three browser method. If Chase (in your state) pulls from the same bureau as Amex, apply ASAP (so they don't see your Amex inquiries), applying soon would be a good idea regardless, as Amex will report new lines of credit and Chase may tell you that you've opened (too) many recent accounts.

It makes no sense to close the Chase cards now, you can always use them as a bargaining chip for future apps when talking to Chase reconsideration.

Wishing you luck.

Offline dirah

• View Profile
« Reply #559 on: June 03, 2011, 12:04:21 AM »
I called AMEX two weeks ago about the extra 50K with ID 5748, and the rep told me that it would be applied, but it wasnt showing up on my balance.
I called again today, and the rep was very nice and spent a lot of time with me on the phone, but she said that she attempted to apply the bonus several times, and the system kept kicking it back due to being a prior cardholder. She said that as much as she would like to help, especially being that I was offered the points by the previous rep, (she did offer to tell me that there have been quite a number of new reps added to the amex floor recently, and they dont know what they are doing,) but the system just wont let it through, and there is no workaround unless I can supply the unique codes sent out on the mailers.
Any advice?
I know some of you might just say to call again, but what is the point after such a response?