Author Topic: Chanukkah question  (Read 14375 times)

Offline Baruch

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Chanukkah question
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2016, 11:29:02 PM »
I understand, but what flow would be broken if the gemarah asked Mai Chanukah before it discuss Tanu Rabanan Ner Ish Ubeyso...?
Hilchos Hadlakas Ner Chanukah, to Story of Chanukah, back to Hilchos Hadlakas Ner Chanukah

Offline Entrepreneur

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2016, 11:30:31 PM »
Hilchos Hadlakas Ner Chanukah, to Story of Chanukah, back to Hilchos Hadlakas Ner Chanukah
So there is no more discussion of halachos of Chanuka after the Mai Chanukah? Or no more discussion of halachos related to the candles (this being an answer to my question)

Offline Bukboy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2016, 11:31:10 PM »
So what's the answer? My kid asked me and I gotta say something....
Tell them that the talmidie chachumem on DDF still don't have a terutz ;D

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2016, 11:31:35 PM »
מאירי שם סוף; מהר"ל, נר מצוה ד"ה ואם תאמר כיון שהיה
Do your homework

The old print totzaos chaim doesn't have the pipul from Rav Ziemba. I'm pretty sure the new ones have it in the back. I don't remember what he says, but I do remeber that it was ga'onus.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2016, 11:32:44 PM »

Here the by. Definitely split it up...

Offline Bukboy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2016, 11:35:01 PM »
Bump on this it really bothers me
I have anothe one on the Kashua from the B"Y itself, He answers 3 terutzim on the kashua right? How did the B"Y learned in the kashua the simple story of the nes? Behechrach one of the terutzim oib ozoy what's the kashua?!

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2016, 11:39:46 PM »
ב
תוספות הרא"ש שם חידש שדין זה הוא רק במקום שאפשר, אבל במקום שאין אפשרות - ניתן להביא גם כמות חלקית של שמן[5].
יש שתירצו, שאכן אין לשים כמות מועטת של שמן שלא תדלק עד הבוקר, אולם הכהנים סמכו על הנס, והביאו כמות מועטת של שמן בהבינם שהיא תדלק עד הבוקר. ואף שבאופן רגיל, אין סומכים על הנס, מ"מ החשמונאים "הרגישו את מהלך הניסים שנתחדש בבריאה לאותו זמן[6], ועל כן מלכתחילה סמכו על הנס, שכל מה שאין סומכין על הנס הוא בזמן שהטבע שולט ואין לסמוך על שינוי סדרי בראשית, אבל כשהזמן עצמו הוא ניסיי, כשם שסומכים על הטבע - כך סומכים על הנס" (הרב יעקב משה חרל"פ, מי מרום חלק ח - שיחות לספר בראשית, מאמר פח אות ב, עמ' רפט, נדפס ג"כ במי מרום חט"ז - שיחות לחנוכה ופורים, מאמר ט, עמ' מו-מז).
יש שכתבו שלא הייתה להם עצה אלא לשים חצי כזית שמן ותו לא, וזאת היות והמנורה הייתה טמאה בטומאת מת[7], ומתכת הטמאה בטומאת מת מטמאה כמת (חרב הרי היא כחלל – שבת קא: ועוד), וא"כ כל שמן שישימו במנורה יטמא. ואין פתרון אלא לשים חצי כזית שמן, שלשיטת רש"י(דרוש מקור) אינו מטמא (ברכת יצחק - מובא בספר דיני חנוכה, הוצאת דגל ההלכה, ירושלים תש"ס, עמ' קנ).
ויש שכתבו שמלכתחילה בשעת הדחק, "במקום עניות" שאין שמן אחר, די ליתן במנורה כזית שמן, ולהוסיף בכל פעם שנראה שהשמן קרוב להגמר (הגהות וקצת ביאורים על המגיני ארץ מבעל המקור חיים, - הנדפס בסוף שו"ע או"ח, - סי' עתר).

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2016, 11:40:07 PM »
So there is no more discussion of halachos of Chanuka after the Mai Chanukah? Or no more discussion of halachos related to the candles (this being an answer to my question)
The flow of the sugia is actually beautiful now that I'm thinking about it..
It goes from lighting> to Mai Chanukah, Chanukah is a mitzva...To > the to the inyan of heizik bener Chanukah potur because it is a mitzva>the whole hight issue with the camel>succah hight>hannah from Nero's/noi succah etc

Very very logical.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2016, 11:41:23 PM »
ב
תוספות הרא"ש שם חידש שדין זה הוא רק במקום שאפשר, אבל במקום שאין אפשרות - ניתן להביא גם כמות חלקית של שמן[5].
יש שתירצו, שאכן אין לשים כמות מועטת של שמן שלא תדלק עד הבוקר, אולם הכהנים סמכו על הנס, והביאו כמות מועטת של שמן בהבינם שהיא תדלק עד הבוקר. ואף שבאופן רגיל, אין סומכים על הנס, מ"מ החשמונאים "הרגישו את מהלך הניסים שנתחדש בבריאה לאותו זמן[6], ועל כן מלכתחילה סמכו על הנס, שכל מה שאין סומכין על הנס הוא בזמן שהטבע שולט ואין לסמוך על שינוי סדרי בראשית, אבל כשהזמן עצמו הוא ניסיי, כשם שסומכים על הטבע - כך סומכים על הנס" (הרב יעקב משה חרל"פ, מי מרום חלק ח - שיחות לספר בראשית, מאמר פח אות ב, עמ' רפט, נדפס ג"כ במי מרום חט"ז - שיחות לחנוכה ופורים, מאמר ט, עמ' מו-מז).
יש שכתבו שלא הייתה להם עצה אלא לשים חצי כזית שמן ותו לא, וזאת היות והמנורה הייתה טמאה בטומאת מת[7], ומתכת הטמאה בטומאת מת מטמאה כמת (חרב הרי היא כחלל – שבת קא: ועוד), וא"כ כל שמן שישימו במנורה יטמא. ואין פתרון אלא לשים חצי כזית שמן, שלשיטת רש"י(דרוש מקור) אינו מטמא (ברכת יצחק - מובא בספר דיני חנוכה, הוצאת דגל ההלכה, ירושלים תש"ס, עמ' קנ).
ויש שכתבו שמלכתחילה בשעת הדחק, "במקום עניות" שאין שמן אחר, די ליתן במנורה כזית שמן, ולהוסיף בכל פעם שנראה שהשמן קרוב להגמר (הגהות וקצת ביאורים על המגיני ארץ מבעל המקור חיים, - הנדפס בסוף שו"ע או"ח, - סי' עתר).
Non are kid friendly... Eta maybe the nes one will work

Offline Bukboy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2016, 11:45:50 PM »
Non are kid friendly... Eta maybe the nes one will work
You're waiting for a solid halacha terutz?! Its either going to be a chasidisha vort or in best case a poilisha sharfa pshetel

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2016, 11:47:16 PM »
You're waiting for a solid halacha terutz?! Its either going to be a chasidisha vort or in best case a poilisha sharfa pshetel
Hey u never know

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2016, 11:58:55 PM »
See attached. Or start reading the preceding pages here
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 12:04:42 AM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2016, 02:02:07 AM »
Bump on this it really bothers me
I have anothe one on the Kashua from the B"Y itself, He answers 3 terutzim on the kashua right? How did the B"Y learned in the kashua the simple story of the nes? Behechrach one of the terutzim oib ozoy what's the kashua?!
Twice we needed this klutz kashe?
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline eli1571

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2016, 06:26:47 AM »
The gemara in Shabbos ask Mai Chanukkah after discussing several laws of lighting Chanukkah candles.  Why isn't it the first question before going into the specific laws? I would think we need to establish why we celebrate the holiday first.

Thanks

Kasheh doesn't bother me..

Fakert, after learning and discussing the halochos of the mitzvos etc, IE the ikar of Chanukah, then it is the right time to ask btw what is this Chanukah about.

The Gemara was already involved in the halachos of lighting the menorah, because "Kovsa zakuk lah" was  also relevant to the rules of the wicks and the fuel, so the Gemara continues to discuss the rules of lighting. Then the Gemara goes onto the discussion of "Mai Chanukah".

The Gemara is not organized in the same way the Rambam and the Tur were organized.

The Gemara is a collection of discussions of the Amaraim, organized around the mishnayos. There are some discussions of the Amarai'im that simply have no great place to put them. Such as many agados. But they have to be placed somewhere. Many times the Gemara will find any excuse to place them, such as the same Amora that said the last thing, said another thing totally irrelevant. (I believe that's why Brachos has the most Agada, because the first excuse the Gemara finds to place a discussion, it places it).

The Gemara is not usually concerned with placing these discussions, in a "foundations" first method. In many Perakim in Shas the most foundational points are found very deep into the perek. The Gemara's order is more based on, first expounding the Mishna, and then bringing discussions that are most similar to the last discussions.

I don't recall reading this anywhere, so I may be wrong. But this is what I believe to be true.
I think Op has a point with his question we see lots of times  the gemara starts with, Taneh heicha ko'ee. First we need to determine the source and then we can discuss the details 

Offline good sam

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2016, 09:08:11 AM »
I have another question. Re the terutz on the B"Y question that they only used a little each night, and therefore there was a nes every night...

Why did they do this? Why didn't they have to use a full shiur on the first day?
Everyone deals with this kashe of the B"Y and there are dozens of terutzim, but am I the only the one who was never bothered by the question?

Oil burned for eight days, celebrate for eight days.

Offline good sam

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2016, 09:09:45 AM »
I think Op has a point with his question we see lots of times  the gemara starts with, Taneh heicha ko'ee. First we need to determine the source and then we can discuss the details
Nah, that's when it's beginning a discussion based on a mishna, not when we arrived at the discussion tangentially.

Offline Bukboy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2016, 10:44:59 AM »
Twice we needed this klutz kashe?
You're trying to sound wise when you don't have an answer? read your signature buddy, For the record when i was in Brisk yeshiva the whole yeshiva was busy with this kahsua, And the founder of it is Reb Mordchie Beck, Simple ask nicely and ill try hard to explain it to you 

Offline Bukboy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2016, 11:17:08 AM »
Maybe your q. is not being articulated well, but the simple reading of your q does sound like a kk.
Sorry.
Oh ok sorry i thought i'm good in explaining things :)

Offline Bukboy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2016, 11:26:14 AM »
You probably are. But typing a lumdishe shaila in english, is not the same as talking it over out loud.
That's what the emoji are made for ;D

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2016, 11:58:54 AM »
That's what the emoji are made for ;D
No its not, I couldn't make heads or tails of your question because it was not written out in a coherent way and was full of grammatical errors.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy