Author Topic: AA SystemWide Upgrade Question  (Read 1234 times)

Offline medicdelta

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
AA SystemWide Upgrade Question
« on: December 27, 2016, 11:57:19 PM »
I searched the forum but could not find anything relevant - pardon me if it's been asked before.

I was told that you need A or C fare class space available for the SWU to clear instantly, but if there's only A fare class available will it upgrade me to biz from economy on a 3 cabin? Or does it have to be C for economy to biz (or to first on a 2 cabin) and A will work only from biz to first?

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Re: AA SystemWide Upgrade Question
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 11:00:54 AM »
I searched the forum but could not find anything relevant - pardon me if it's been asked before.

I was told that you need A or C fare class space available for the SWU to clear instantly, but if there's only A fare class available will it upgrade me to biz from economy on a 3 cabin? Or does it have to be C for economy to biz (or to first on a 2 cabin) and A will work only from biz to first?

You can only upgrade to next higher class. If that's "first" you should be looking for A (even if domestic first) If it's business, you should be looking for C

Offline medicdelta

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 01:05:23 PM »
OK, so for this flight, where there is no C available, if I applied the SWU on a paid coach fare I would be waitlisted instead of being instantly confirmed?

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 02:21:45 PM »
OK, so for this flight, where there is no C available, if I applied the SWU on a paid coach fare I would be waitlisted instead of being instantly confirmed?

Yes, you can't skip business to first. And btw, it is very common for F upgrades to be much easier than business on that route.

Offline medicdelta

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 04:28:50 PM »
Yeah, looks like every flight has A space available. Almost never any C avail on NYC to LAX or SFO with lie-flat biz  :(