Author Topic: Quick Airline Points question  (Read 1183 times)

Offline zerbert

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Quick Airline Points question
« on: November 27, 2008, 10:23:56 AM »
Our family of 5 wants to fly to Florida in February. My wife received an offer for the American Express Gold Rewards Plus for the first year free and a credit of 50,000 MR points if we spend 500 on the card by Jan 31. Those 50,000 would score us 2 tickets.

I was wondering if the following is doable : opening up four Amex Starwoods cards - 1 personal and 1 business each for myself and my wife. These cards would give a 10,000 point signup bonus for a total of 40,000. These 40,000 would transfer over as 50,000 in airline miles and score us two more tickets.   

Besides for whether this is doable, how could opening up a whole bunch of credit cards affect my credit score and how could I close these accounts or consolidate them after I have my tickets without affecting our credit scores too much. The only card I  may be interested in keeping is one Starwoods card.

Thanks

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Quick Airline Points question
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 04:29:59 PM »
Yes it's doable and it shouldnt hurt your credit in the long run.
Mind you that flying coach to florida is hardly a good use of Starpoints/miles though.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.