Author Topic: Planning advice for upcoming trip to Thailand  (Read 2970 times)

Offline SRM

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Planning advice for upcoming trip to Thailand
« on: January 03, 2017, 03:43:27 PM »
I'm planning a trip to Thailand for mid-march and would love some tips and advice. In exchange I will happily write a trip report after :-)

I'm fairly new at using miles for flights. I have plenty United and Chase points and I checked on United and I can get a round-trip ticket for 160k points in biz class with a few different airline/routing options. Firstly, is that the cheapest rate I can get biz class tickets or is there a different mileage currency I should be using? (FYI I'm flying out of NY). Secondly, between airlines such as Swiss, Thai, Turkish, Air China, Lufthansa, Asiana, and EVA which airline/biz class would you recommend. I would also like to possibly extend the stopovers (one or both ways) for a longer amount of time to get the most out of the trip.

TIA for all your help and advice. More questions about locations to visit and hotels will come later.

Offline readicculus

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Planning advice for upcoming trip to Thailand
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 02:59:43 PM »
http://www.awardhacker.com/#f=NewYork&t=bkk&o=0&c=j&s=1&p=1

100k seems to do it.
im also planning a thailand trip in march. leaving from either TLV or Europe, hoping to return to LAX if possible.
amazing deals out of CAI! although i am questioning the security of that airport. and then of course getting from TLV to CAI isnt cheap. possibly cheaper to go TLV-EUR-CAI
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 04:57:24 PM by readicculus »

Offline Saulius

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 04:46:23 PM »
http://www.awardhacker.com/#f=New York&t=bkk&o=0&c=j&s=1&p=1

100k seems to do it.
im also planning a thailand trip in march. leaving from either TLV or Europe, hoping to return to LAX if possible.
amazing deals out of CAI! although i am questioning the security of that airport. and then of course getting from TLV to CAI isnt cheap. possibly cheaper to go TLV-EUR-CAI

Following articles show that Russia has been working on Egypt to improve airport security there, and they are planning to resume flights to Egypt. In the meantime it looks like the cheapest flights out from TLV to BKK are with Aeroflot.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/250529/Egypt/Politics-/Egypt-makes-significant-progress-on-airport-safety.aspx
http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/250642/Egypt/Politics-/Egypt-airports-security-complies-with-Russias-dema.aspx
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSL5N1EO1DU

Offline readicculus

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 04:51:27 PM »
Following articles show that Russia has been working on Egypt to improve airport security there, and they are planning to resume flights to Egypt. In the meantime it looks like the cheapest flights out from TLV to BKK are with Aeroflot.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/250529/Egypt/Politics-/Egypt-makes-significant-progress-on-airport-safety.aspx
http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/250642/Egypt/Politics-/Egypt-airports-security-complies-with-Russias-dema.aspx
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSL5N1EO1DU

awesome, thanks for that info Saulius!
im also seeing/considering $250 for TLV-CDG-CAI. i wouldnt mind spending shabbos in paris. then a day or two in cairo to see the pyramids and the museum and then off to BKK.

Offline PillanSmye

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 02:39:36 PM »
awesome, thanks for that info Saulius!
im also seeing/considering $250 for TLV-CDG-CAI. i wouldnt mind spending shabbos in paris. then a day or two in cairo to see the pyramids and the museum and then off to BKK.

You're really thinking about TLV-CDG-CAI?   That's like LAX-JFK-SFO

Offline readicculus

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 03:32:56 PM »
You're really thinking about TLV-CDG-CAI?   That's like LAX-JFK-SFO
was planning to spend some time in CDG.

Offline SRM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 08:23:53 PM »
http://www.awardhacker.com/#f=NewYork&t=bkk&o=0&c=j&s=1&p=1

100k seems to do it.

Thank you!!! Not sure how but I never knew about that site before, really helpful.

Offline SRM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 08:25:17 PM »
Does anyone have advice on which airline from the below choices have a good biz class?

Secondly, between airlines such as Swiss, Thai, Turkish, Air China, Lufthansa, Asiana, and EVA which airline/biz class would you recommend. I would also like to possibly extend the stopovers (one or both ways) for a longer amount of time to get the most out of the trip.

TIA for all your help and advice. More questions about locations to visit and hotels will come later.

Offline SRM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 08:26:20 PM »
Also I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems that in March the farmers in the north of Thailand start burning their crops and some people say it's not recommended to travel in the north of Thailand (smog and not clear air). Has anyone been there during March? Have you had any issues?

Offline Saulius

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 03:06:59 AM »
Also I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems that in March the farmers in the north of Thailand start burning their crops and some people say it's not recommended to travel in the north of Thailand (smog and not clear air). Has anyone been there during March? Have you had any issues?

It depends on the weather and wind conditions, but as long as you don't have a pre-existing respiratory condition one can manage a few days. Do get a n95 filter grade mask just in case.

Offline Z56

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE, Hertz GP, Avis PP
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 03:14:48 AM »
How about summer time is that recommended?
“I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 04:14:13 AM »

I was nervous before I went, especially with a 3 month old. But after speaking to numerous people and personal experience, its not nearly like it sounds.

Offline SRM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 08:49:50 PM »

I was nervous before I went, especially with a 3 month old. But after speaking to numerous people and personal experience, its not nearly like it sounds.

Thanks!

Offline SRM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 08:50:42 PM »
Thanks!

I assume this was a joke?
Do get a n95 filter grade mask just in case.

Offline Aln10788

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 09:24:41 AM »
I am also looking to fly to BKK using Chase UR. I want a 4 to 5 day layover in Tokyo. Flying from ORD. I can't seem to figure out how to accomplish this via United as they charge me extra for the stopover.

Offline INTELLIGENTBLONDE

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2017, 10:17:21 PM »
I'm planning a trip to Thailand for mid-march and would love some tips and advice. In exchange I will happily write a trip report after :-)

I'm fairly new at using miles for flights. I have plenty United and Chase points and I checked on United and I can get a round-trip ticket for 160k points in biz class with a few different airline/routing options. Firstly, is that the cheapest rate I can get biz class tickets or is there a different mileage currency I should be using? (FYI I'm flying out of NY). Secondly, between airlines such as Swiss, Thai, Turkish, Air China, Lufthansa, Asiana, and EVA which airline/biz class would you recommend. I would also like to possibly extend the stopovers (one or both ways) for a longer amount of time to get the most out of the trip.

where are you leaving from?
im trying to plan my trip from nyc to cnx, and ive never booked award flights before, any help?

Offline ual902

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2017, 11:24:27 PM »
im trying to plan my trip from nyc to cnx, and ive never booked award flights before, any help?

start here https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=New York&t=Bangkok&o=1&c=j&s=1&p=0

Offline SRM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 02:57:24 PM »

I'm also leaving from NYC. I don't have much advice but someone posted a helpful link in response to my original questions. Seems cheapest way is to use Starwood points.

Offline SRM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 03:12:19 PM »
I'd like to visit Chiang Mai and Koh Samui, in addition to that I was considering Bangkok and Phuket (koh phi phi) but not sure I'll have time for all of that. Witch places are a must see? I was also interesting in adding a small side trip to Singapore but that would take away from my time in Thailand, would that be worth it or should I skip Singapore? TIA